Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 06:54 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times

Advertisements

Saturn, there are really two separate issues at hand here. One is bussing for "diversity" issues and the other is redistricting to relieve overcrowding at a VERY over crowded school (remember, this is the school that was supposedly SO overcrowded, they were threatening to hold classes in a bathroom).

People have been complaining about overcrowding and building new schools to relieve it. Well, now the new ones are ready to open and be filled, payed for by taxpayer money but when the time comes to actually fill the schools, no one wants to go. Who do you suggest would be the ones to fill the schools? You can't just say "newcomers" because they are all over the county. Sending all newcomers to new schools would essentially be "bussing" as well. These are children IN Cary who are being moved to a school IN Cary. It's not like they're being sent to Wake Forest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 07:29 AM

906 posts, read 2,380,940 times
There is another issue at work here too--the op is being moved to a year round school. Although they currently can opt out to a traditional, it most likely will not be Davis Drive. Moderator cut: no names please growth managment has stated several times that they purposely make the traditional options 'unattractive'.

Lamishra--I do agree that *somebody* needs to fill the new schools. I disagree with their decision to only convert some schools to year round, though. They should have converted everybody or nobody.

To the Original Poster--I hope you are successful in your bid to not be moved. I think its ridiculous to move you to another school that's farther away if you live that close to DDE.

Last edited by autumngal; 12-18-2007 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: name

Old 12-18-2007, 08:03 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
So....everyone wants them to build new schools to solve the overcrowding....but you don't want them to put YOUR child in it?

No sympathy and I hope you lose, though it certainly is your right to fight and waste the districts money on lawsuits. We all know that our students don't need the money for their actual education.

If you have moved into Wake County any time in the last 10 years, you've had to have known that it was a growing area and new schools were being built.
Ok, there are people on both sides of the issue and both sides have their points. I happen to NOT agree with you and others who support busing in the name of diversity but I'm not going to give you a negative rep point for it (I've been the receipient of those who think I shouldn't stick my nose in here since I don't live here and therefore, since my opinion doesn't match theirs, I deserve the negative rep point).

I do take issue with your attitude of "I hope you lose" and felt I had to say something about that. Why do you hope she loses? Obviously, the issue is important to the poster---important enough to take it up with the board. Isn't that what the petition and appeal process is there for--to take up issues with the board? How is that a waste of taxpayer money? Does the WCPSS board have to get paid overtime/hazard duty/hardship pay when they face off against one of these issues?

I happen to agree with Saturnfan and others about neighborhood schools and busing as well as redistricting. Yup, there's obviously a need for new schools since the hoardes moving down there are creating the demand. But it stands to reason that someone who bought an existing house is probably not part of the problem---it's the new developments. So, if the new schools are going where the new construction is, then....DUH....shouldn't the kids zoned to that school come from that area of new construction?

Color me confused about what the WCPSS wants to accomplish with their diversity/busing/redistricting policies and also color me positive that if/when we do move down there, we will either not live in Wake Co, or our children will attend Catholic school. So you don't have to worry about me coming down there and adding to the problem.....

Last edited by autumngal; 12-18-2007 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: will leave comments on neg points this time only.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I do take issue with your attitude of "I hope you lose" and felt I had to say something about that. Why do you hope she loses? Obviously, the issue is important to the poster---important enough to take it up with the board. Isn't that what the petition and appeal process is there for--to take up issues with the board? How is that a waste of taxpayer money? Does the WCPSS board have to get paid overtime/hazard duty/hardship pay when they face off against one of these issues?
Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:00 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking.
I agree. Desdemona, you might not agree with the OP, but saying "I hope you lose" is just spiteful.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:33 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Cool Forum Rules Reminder

Just want to slide this in here .
Reminder:

Do not give negative ratings to posts that you simply disagree with or your own reputation will be downgraded. Negative ratings should be reserved for posts that are spammy, off-topic, flames, or don't contribute anything.

and

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do no attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards.
If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

In all future posts, any comments about reputation points will be deleted. You can dm a Senior Moderator should you feel you received them unfairly.

Last edited by autumngal; 12-18-2007 at 12:48 PM..

Old 12-18-2007, 12:43 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
NCsomeday, I believe that children who live in the new developments ARE being moved into the new schools as part of the base population, but some of the newer developments do not have enough students to make opening an entire school based solely on the new developments economically feasible. What makes sense to ME, is that the base population surrounding the new school are sent to the new school, as well as children who live close by, but are currently attending a severly overcrowded school.
I realize that changing schools is hard on everyone, but attending a school where children are packed into storage closests is not a healthy situation either. The crowding needs to be relieved so that everyone is in a better environment, including the teachers in these crowded schools whose resources are being stressed.

IF the situation were that children in newer developments were being sent elsewhere, I would agree that this were a true case of bussing, but I believe it's more an issue of filling the new schools with students who live around the school as well as relieving the crowding at another close by school with a few students from there as well.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:53 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
The distance from Davis Drive to Laurel Park is 3 miles:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...UTF8&z=14&om=1

Old 12-18-2007, 01:02 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
NCsomeday, I believe that children who live in the new developments ARE being moved into the new schools as part of the base population, but some of the newer developments do not have enough students to make opening an entire school based solely on the new developments economically feasible. What makes sense to ME, is that the base population surrounding the new school are sent to the new school, as well as children who live close by, but are currently attending a severly overcrowded school.
I realize that changing schools is hard on everyone, but attending a school where children are packed into storage closests is not a healthy situation either. The crowding needs to be relieved so that everyone is in a better environment, including the teachers in these crowded schools whose resources are being stressed.

IF the situation were that children in newer developments were being sent elsewhere, I would agree that this were a true case of bussing, but I believe it's more an issue of filling the new schools with students who live around the school as well as relieving the crowding at another close by school with a few students from there as well.
Well, that makes perfect sense to me. Maybe it's because I'm not physically down there, but I keep reading about families who have children who are redistricted from their neighborhood school to a school more than just a few miles away.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's because I'm not physically down there, but I keep reading about families who have children who are redistricted from their neighborhood school to a school more than just a few miles away.
I looked at the Davis Drive/Laurel Park maps and they are pretty close to each other. So in this instance, people aren't being reassigned far away. But that does happen. It happens more to low income families than it does to wealthier ones though. It happens a lot to low income families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary