Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:25 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

Carrboro Farmers' Market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 12:13 PM

8 posts, read 7,964 times
Carrboro has been mentioned a few times - I know it's smaller than Durham and the lines between CH and Carrboro are blurred. I like to be close to work - but would increase my husband's commute as guessing he'd be Raliegh or Durham.

Proximity (relative!) to be beach is key for us - my husband is dreading losing his daily surf! We're hoping we can visit weekends (weather dep) so he get his surfing fix!

What are the areas in Durham to steer clear of?

Old 07-24-2014, 12:22 PM

8 posts, read 7,964 times
Carrboro seems to be a bit more rent wise than Durham - is this true? My husband won't likely have a job until we move there so while higher rents are fine with two incomes - I wouldn't want these on one initially.

Also what is the spill over from UNC - will apartment complexes be full of students? We may be young but not THAT young!

Old 07-24-2014, 12:23 PM

Again I say thousands of folks commute from all over the area.I know some folks who live in Cary to live near relatives and commute to Chapel Hill every day. Chapel Hill can be quite pricey so many folks who work at UNC-especially all the hospital personnel- live in surrounding communities.

We have some friends who think nothing of day trips to the beach. I wouldn't do it cause I don't like using public showers and dressing rooms but they do it all the time. Many people here have second homes at the beaches all along the N.C. and S.C. coasts. But surfing at our beaches will be a major disappointment if your DH is used to California surfing....The Atlanta Ocean is very mild compared to the Pacific- at least in my experience.

The chances of your DH landing an architecture gig in Chapel Hill are pretty slim---but who knows.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:29 PM

It distresses me when people call Chapel Hill a "typical college town." Honestly there is more to the community than just the university. I can go months without seeing any "college kids". There are lots of apartment complexes with mostly college aged people and you would want to avoid those. That is why a reputable realtor would be necessary for your visit.

Also something to remember is that UNC has extremely high standards for admittance and while all colle kids like to let off some steam, most are concentrating on their future and have worked hard to get here. Also it won't be long before the graduate school students out number the undergraduates.
And I'm guessing the rents all over CH/C are higher than Durham and that has to do with our school system. property taxes pay for the school system and keep it top notch.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:49 PM

644 posts, read 841,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Again I say thousands of folks commute from all over the area.I know some folks who live in Cary to live near relatives and commute to Chapel Hill every day. Chapel Hill can be quite pricey so many folks who work at UNC-especially all the hospital personnel- live in surrounding communities.

We have some friends who think nothing of day trips to the beach. I wouldn't do it cause I don't like using public showers and dressing rooms but they do it all the time. Many people here have second homes at the beaches all along the N.C. and S.C. coasts. But surfing at our beaches will be a major disappointment if your DH is used to California surfing....The Atlanta Ocean is very mild compared to the Pacific- at least in my experience.

The chances of your DH landing an architecture gig in Chapel Hill are pretty slim---but who knows.
for surfing yes, but the overall beach experience? As someone that likes swimming in the ocean and laying on the sand, I wouldn't recommend the Pacific ocean at all. Oh, and did I mention the people? People are far more friendly and less-plasticky in the Carolinas.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:50 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Also it won't be long before the graduate school students out number the undergraduates.
Right now there are about 18,000 undergrads and 11,000 graduate students.

Where are the 7,000 new grad students going to enroll?

Old 07-24-2014, 01:58 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareH85 View Post
Carrboro seems to be a bit more rent wise than Durham - is this true? My husband won't likely have a job until we move there so while higher rents are fine with two incomes - I wouldn't want these on one initially.

Also what is the spill over from UNC - will apartment complexes be full of students? We may be young but not THAT young!
There's a reason for that, and it's because people are willing to pay for security just like regions of LA. You can find cheap(er) rent in East LA or South Central for the same reasons. I suppose it might be less of an issue without children, but who wants to live with bars on their windows?

As I said before, your trip is the time to make confirm / reject much of the information you've read here including mine if you see fit. People have different comfort levels.

I think the suggestion of Carrboro is a good one, however it is my opinion that vast majority of NC is not really bike friendly either in terms of infrastructure or the mentality of drivers. You would be taking your life into your own hands.

The subject of culture shock has been hashed, mashed, and re-hashed here on C-D. Suffice it to say that it's quite different, despite the denials otherwise. Understand that the South has cultural baggage from its past, Civil War, civil Rights movements, etc. perhaps not unlike the relationship with Ireland in your home country. This has given rise to denial, bitterness, and apologists that is a frequent undercurrent in life there.

I'll be the first to admit that I sound like a bit of a pessimist, but sometimes I feel some discussions need balance.

On a positive note, UNC is a good school that is well respected in the region and many part of NC around that area are very liveable for people whose priorities and inclinations align well.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:02 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Oh yes, every Durhamite I know fears for their lives, myself included. I've taken to placing Claymores in my yard and putting on a flak jacket before I go out to check my mail, my Mossberg at the ready with my wife providing covering fire with a SAW. I've noticed all the seniors out for their morning constitutionals in my neighborhood have taken to packing heat, and just the other day at the neighborhood pool we were all discussing the state of constant fear we were all in. Why, I've even noticed at the DCP Food Truck Rodeos that several trucks were now up-armored MRAPs.

Seriously, RR, if you ever had anything good or positive to say about anything I think I might die of shock.
You're right, I don't even like your choices of armament.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:30 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
I can go months without seeing any "college kids".
Really?! You must never go out. I see college kids almost every day and don't go on campus that often. If you go to downtown Chapel Hill or Carrboro you're sure to see them, but there are plenty of college students who live in my neighborhood, too. College kids volunteer at my younger daughter's elementary school, too. I see them at the grocery store, restaurants, shopping, etc.

I do think Chapel Hill is a classic college town. If it weren't for UNC there wouldn't be a Chapel Hill or Carrboro quite literally. The University came first and the towns grew up around it. The University still very much dominates the economy of the area, as well, as it's by far the biggest employer. Even if you don't see "college kids" chances are many of your neighbors have ties to UNC. I know about half my friends work there in one capacity or another.

RoaminRebel frequently plays devil's advocate on threads like these — you can check his post history — so take it with a grain of salt. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and all that...

I live in Chapel Hill and have lived in Chapel Hill or Carrboro for about 30 years now. I have worked in Durham and spent a lot of time there, but have yet to be shot in Durham. I did have my bag stolen once in Durham when I left it unattended and walked down the street, but my wallet was in my pocket so it was no great loss, and stupid on my part. I have had my house broken into in Chapel Hill (stole a camera bag — camera wasn't in it—and a broken CD player) and I had an iPod stolen out of my unlocked car in my driveway in Chapel Hill. And I think that's pretty much it for my crime experiences in the past 30 years.

I happen to know quite a few British ex-pats who live in both Durham and Chapel Hill/Carrboro. They seem to all like it.

There is a very big cycling culture here. I know tons of people who don't own cars and get around via bike or walking or riding the free buses in Chapelboro.

If your husband works in residential architecture his job could be anywhere in the Triangle. I have known plenty of folks who commute to Raleigh from Chapel Hill. It's not ideal, but was worth it for them. Usually one of the areas of the Triangle just feels right. If you know you will be at UNC I think it makes sense to investigate Chapel Hill and Durham first. Personally, for me, I also prefer Durham and Chapelboro. I wouldn't choose to live in Raleigh, but obviously, most people in the Triangle don't feel the same way.

You may have already seen these sites, but worth a look if you haven't:

Durham, NC
Home | Chapel Hill and Orange County Visitors Bureau

Last edited by poppydog; 07-24-2014 at 02:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary