Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 01:29 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times

Advertisements

Poison ivy can be very sneaky!

Poison Ivy Quiz | The Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, Poison Sumac Site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 10:31 AM

40 posts, read 49,301 times
I have yet to hire someone to take care of it! This year I tried the same thing as last year, but it seems to be more tolerant of abuse with the spray this time around.

Now I'm trying to avoid it completely until I can get a yard person to help. There are other kinds of vines along the side of my house, so I tossed gloves on and pulled them up. A few days later another rash showed up wrapped around my wrist. It felt just like the miserable ivy rash from last year, but far smaller. Thing is, I didn't see any poison ivy when I was pulling the vines. I saw virginia creeper, english ivy, but no poison ivy in that spot.

After the rash appeared I walked around the house trying to find the poison ivy, but still didn't see it. I think I found poison sumac, though. I read (can't remember where) that poison sumac is rare, but I don't think that's right. Growing up I saw it everywhere. Could the creeper, english ivy, or sumac cause similar reactions like poison ivy?

The landscaper is going to have their work cut out for them. Oy.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
You can also temporarily relieve the itch by putting hot water on it.
Totally agree. Yep. Even though it's temporary, it still helped by providing a small break from the itchies. Cold did nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Bulldogs View Post
Arghhhhhh poison ivy... I went to work out of state for a couple of years and nobody took care of my yard when I was gone. When I got back, there was an entire wall of it. I got my first delightful dose of pain.

My neighbor had some great landscapers so I asked for the owner's advice. He came and looked at was pretty horrified at the amount of it. It wasn't cheap but his crew got rid of it and it hasn't grown back in 5 years.
That sounds dreadful!
I don't think I have as much as you did, but that's one thing I was wondering about -- if it's more expensive with poison ivy. I imagine it would be, just because it's poison ivy and it sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
So I'm in the middle of a poison ivy rash. Had it for about 2 weeks now, NOT pleasant! Some others in my family has gotten it from our backyard before so I'm pretty sure it is poison ivy.

Problem is our backyard is heavily landscaped with all sorts of vines, bushes, etc that I am having a hard time telling which ones are actually poison ivy.

What's the most effective spray killer?
Or does anyone have a landscaper they recommend that specializes in poison ivy removal?
Sorry about your rash!
Your yard sounds like mine, with a variety of bushes and vines. It's hard to find the poison ivy in that kind of situation. Because ours seems to be everywhere, there are times I get it confused with young raspberry plants. The thing I stick with are the large 3 leaves and sometimes you can see hairs on the vine part. I've heard of the leaves being shiny, but the ones we have are not shiny.

If/when I find a landscaper, I'll be sure to post their info here. I hope others can give suggestions for landscapers too.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:11 AM

252 posts, read 275,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreag View Post
Totally agree. Yep. Even though it's temporary, it still helped by providing a small break from the itchies. Cold did nothing.

That sounds dreadful!
I don't think I have as much as you did, but that's one thing I was wondering about -- if it's more expensive with poison ivy. I imagine it would be, just because it's poison ivy and it sucks.

Sorry about your rash!
Your yard sounds like mine, with a variety of bushes and vines. It's hard to find the poison ivy in that kind of situation. Because ours seems to be everywhere, there are times I get it confused with young raspberry plants. The thing I stick with are the large 3 leaves and sometimes you can see hairs on the vine part. I've heard of the leaves being shiny, but the ones we have are not shiny.

If/when I find a landscaper, I'll be sure to post their info here. I hope others can give suggestions for landscapers too.
I've located the 3 leaved culprits but I believe I had hairy vines growing up through my holly bushes. Are those hairy vines growing through the bushes poison ivy? After going to the doctor's on Friday and getting prednisone, I feel 1,000,000 times better than Friday. The itching from the rash on my legs was so bad on Friday that the only way I could walk was to lift the bottom of my shorts so it didn't rub against the rash.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:32 AM

They very well could be. I don't know a lot about plants, so I don't know if there are other types of plants/vines with hairs. Since you have poison ivy there, it could be.

I'm glad you feel better. It's such a nightmare. I wore maxi dresses last year and had to pin them up away from the rash. I thought the dress itself would be enough, but any contact made it unbearable! I hope you continue to improve and it will be over soon!

Old 07-21-2015, 11:39 AM

I just found this. It's a collection of various photos of poison ivy, some I wouldn't recognize as such.
Photo of Poison Ivy Leaves When Young

Old 07-21-2015, 11:46 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreag View Post
I just found this. It's a collection of various photos of poison ivy, some I wouldn't recognize as such.
Photo of Poison Ivy Leaves When Young
If you want to see excellent examples of its' many forms, head over to Regency Park in Cary. On the trail that leads down to Symphony Lake (just past parking lot for Koka Booth), near the end, on the right, is a large area with PI growing 5+ feet tall.

Across the street from the lake, on the trail that goes through to Lochmeer, there are several examples of the giant hairy vines.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:49 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
If you want to see excellent examples of its' many forms, head over to Regency Park in Cary. On the trail that leads down to Symphony Lake (just past parking lot for Koka Booth), near the end, on the right, is a large area with PI growing 5+ feet tall.

Across the street from the lake, on the trail that goes through to Lochmeer, there are several examples of the giant hairy vines.
Black Creek Greenway from W Cary MS to points north is a poison ivy incubator. More choices than a Golden Corral buffet.
I get the willies walking through there.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:32 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Tip for the itch... Hair dryer on hot! It was the only thing that helped me!

I am also a fan of suiting up and pulling, but keep in mind d that all parts have oil in them, even the roots. Nasty stuff, good luck!

Old 07-21-2015, 12:36 PM

252 posts, read 275,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Black Creek Greenway from W Cary MS to points north is a poison ivy incubator. More choices than a Golden Corral buffet.
I get the willies walking through there.
more like the heebie jeebies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary