Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 01:44 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times

Advertisements

Cary is an example of a governmental sellout to greed.

By allowing overpopulation and oversaturation of retail, Cary has become the nightmare many people from other areas try to avoid.

The reputation for anal HOA's taking away most people's rights to use their property freely is laughable.

The holy grail of property values seems to run this town.

And, the lemmings continue to come ...

Old 09-17-2014, 05:53 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Cary is an example of a governmental sellout to greed.

By allowing overpopulation and oversaturation of retail, Cary has become the nightmare many people from other areas try to avoid.

The reputation for anal HOA's taking away most people's rights to use their property freely is laughable.

The holy grail of property values seems to run this town.

And, the lemmings continue to come ...
I don't think the HOAs in Cary are any more "anal" than the HOAs anywhere else in the Triangle. Do you have any evidence to back up that claim?

We use our property in a manner that we fully enjoy and we've never been told to do otherwise by our HOA.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:49 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
As someone who lived through school desegregation in the South I hate the idea of neighborhood schools that by default become nearly all white schools or all minority schools.
The argument for neighborhood schools has to do with access and convenience, not race. Educators seem to be brainwashed into thinking that mixing socioeconomic classes will magically pull up the kids from the lower income areas. It doesn't. But, it does make them feel better about themselves.

The county needs to build more schools to meet demand. If they are incapable of accomplishing this basic public need, then municipalities should break away from the county system and form their own district. Taxes will increase for that municipality and citizens will have the option to stay or leave.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:49 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
That's not true in my experience, theS5, nor is it the whole picture. I think there is value in kids getting to know a diverse population. Again, in my experience, the folks I know who are my age and went through desegregation in the South in the 70s, and went to school with minority kids valued that experience and want that for their kids. I know my spouse went to high school across town in Charlotte to the "black" high school and had a great experience. I, too, had lower income black friends in my schools (who did excel and go on to successful careers) that I probably wouldn't have met if we all went to "neighborhood schools".

I was really appalled back when Tedesco and that crew came in and wrecked the socio-economic diversity model for school assignment in Wake County that had been held up as a national model. I do think that folks who come from areas where there are township type schools and not a lot of racial diversity may not understand what we went through in the South to achieve school desegregation.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:27 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That's not true in my experience, theS5, nor is it the whole picture. I think there is value in kids getting to know a diverse population. Again, in my experience, the folks I know who are my age and went through desegregation in the South in the 70s, and went to school with minority kids valued that experience and want that for their kids. I know my spouse went to high school across town in Charlotte to the "black" high school and had a great experience. I, too, had lower income black friends in my schools (who did excel and go on to successful careers) that I probably wouldn't have met if we all went to "neighborhood schools".

I was really appalled back when Tedesco and that crew came in and wrecked the socio-economic diversity model for school assignment in Wake County that had been held up as a national model. I do think that folks who come from areas where there are township type schools and not a lot of racial diversity may not understand what we went through in the South to achieve school desegregation.

I would not minimize your experience, but it is anecdotal. There is very little evidence that the model works for the kids being integrated.

FWIW, in my anecdotal experience, the township model is/can be racially diverse. If, for example, a township model, not unlike Chapel Hill/Carrboro, was instated in Cary, it would be diverse by anyone's standards.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:48 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I don't mind township/city schools instead of county schools as long as the town is reasonably diverse. That's what I grew up with and I was bussed away from my neighborhood school. As I mentioned our neighborhood does not go to the closest school. There are 2 or 3 that are a little closer. CHCCS is very much in favor of socio-economic diversity across the schools.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:53 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
One objective of the magnet program as per wcpss.net is to"Reduce high concentrations of poverty and support diverse populations".
WCPSS:*Magnet Schools
It seems to me the magnet program is not growing with the district. It certainly could be expanded and improved and used as a means to promote socio-economic diversity.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
The argument for neighborhood schools has to do with access and convenience, not race. Educators seem to be brainwashed into thinking that mixing socioeconomic classes will magically pull up the kids from the lower income areas. It doesn't. But, it does make them feel better about themselves.

The county needs to build more schools to meet demand. If they are incapable of accomplishing this basic public need, then municipalities should break away from the county system and form their own district. Taxes will increase for that municipality and citizens will have the option to stay or leave.
Aren't those high tax municipalities the reason that so many people move here in the first place? You know... to get away from them?

Ahh... recreating them seems... not wise.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I would not minimize your experience, but it is anecdotal. There is very little evidence that the model works for the kids being integrated.

FWIW, in my anecdotal experience, the township model is/can be racially diverse. If, for example, a township model, not unlike Chapel Hill/Carrboro, was instated in Cary, it would be diverse by anyone's standards.
I grew up here, too. I went to WCPSS. We never had any issue with the socioeconomic diversity model.

I never even heard large numbers of people attacking it until the Margiotta/Tedesco thing popped up in the news and Margiotta seemed to want to create an "exclusive" school system in Cary.

Cary may be somewhat diverse from an ethnic standpoint (better include Morrisville in there, just to be sure), but it's hardly a highly diverse area from a socioeconomic standpoint.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:08 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
One objective of the magnet program as per wcpss.net is to"Reduce high concentrations of poverty and support diverse populations".
WCPSS:*Magnet Schools
It seems to me the magnet program is not growing with the district. It certainly could be expanded and improved and used as a means to promote socio-economic diversity.

Wake schools receive $9M grant for magnet programs :: WRAL.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary