Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,530 times

Advertisements

We are planning to relocate to the Raleigh Durham CH area in the next 12-18 months. We have 2 kids in college & 2 recently graduated from college. 2 of our kids may follow us to NC-so we want it to appeal to them, too. We are professionals (biomed/healthcare & construction management) from Long Island in our early 50's-not retiring & not looking for 55 & older communities. We plan to work in our respective fields but hopefully on a less intense level than in NY. We want a friendly mixed age community with lots of social activities, outdoor activities like running trails, biking, etc. We don't need to be concerned with school districts, although that sometimes reflects other aspects of a community. Hoping for fairly educated, active, welcoming and down to earth neighborhood. We want to spend about $350K for a fairly new if not new 3BR house. Apex, Hillsborough, Cary, Clayton have popped up in a lot of my searches-after a while it gets confusing. I expect we would most likely work in Raleigh/Durham but that is not in place yet.Any recommendations and feedback would be very welcome. We are visiting the are in early Nov to get a better feel. Would love suggestions! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 02:55 PM

34,940 posts, read 36,284,905 times
Do you plan to rent first or buy?

If you are buying first, I would suggest the most central area you can afford.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:06 PM

22,676 posts, read 36,826,713 times
Hard to say with two people who will be working but don't know where. I'm from LI too. Where are you from? Are looking for more western Nassau or more western Suffolk or out east? Most of the suburbs here will check the boxes for you.
$350k doesn't go as far here as it used to.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:06 PM

715 posts, read 889,733 times
Just keep in mind that we are flooded with people having the same thoughts as you. What that means is very competitive prices for homes as supply has not kept up with demand and not that many jobs to go around for a very tight market. Your price is right on for most of the area. When you come down visit as many places since each town has a different feel.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:20 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,875,550 times
OP - the way this area is growing you need to be sure to buy a home close to work. Your budget will get you a nice home in most places. But not necessarily a new one. Also, there are many other towns here you shouldn't rule out. You will see when you get here!

Old 09-17-2014, 12:15 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,838,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
OP - the way this area is growing you need to be sure to buy a home close to work. Your budget will get you a nice home in most places. But not necessarily a new one. Also, there are many other towns here you shouldn't rule out. You will see when you get here!
Agreed. Is there a reason you chose this area over others? Ever been here before? Lots of places (pretty much anywhere) are cheaper than LI.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:04 PM

715 posts, read 889,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Agreed. Is there a reason you chose this area over others? Ever been here before? Lots of places (pretty much anywhere) are cheaper than LI.
COL is too high for most on LI they have no choice unless they are Nassau/Suffolk cops living off the tax payers or Work in NYC making $200k as a couple. No end in sight... no end.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:49 PM

210 posts, read 319,592 times
We just moved here from Minnesota, and I would highly recommend Chapel Hill. My husband works in Cary - lots of new growth there, lots of opportunities, but also a lot of crowding with schools, etc. (which I know isn't a concern for you but it does contribute to overall population).

We didn't really care for Apex - but could have chosen Cary (great dining, social life), were it not for the Wake County School situation. So we ended up in Chapel Hill. We LOVE it. Highly educated and friendly community, very cool downtown (right next to UNC), still great places to dine, etc. We don't mind commuting to Cary or Raleigh - we are used to very long commutes so 20-30 minutes is a breeze for us.

Good luck!!

Old 09-17-2014, 09:53 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,579,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Hard to say with two people who will be working but don't know where. I'm from LI too. Where are you from? Are looking for more western Nassau or more western Suffolk or out east? Most of the suburbs here will check the boxes for you.
$350k doesn't go as far here as it used to.
That's a misleading statement. Depending on where you're shopping, $350k goes at least as far as it did when we moved here in 2007. Where it starts to lose buying power is in the rapidly expanding areas in Cary and Morrisville. Near where I live in North Raleigh that money buys you a really nice 4 bedroom 2.5 bath colonial on an acre of land, provided you don't want new construction. And I can buy for sub $300k if I'm willing to trade property and maybe .5 bathrooms.

My point is, the financials now are still similar to what they were nearly a decade ago when we first started developing our relocation plans.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:41 AM

22,676 posts, read 36,826,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
That's a misleading statement. Depending on where you're shopping, $350k goes at least as far as it did when we moved here in 2007. Where it starts to lose buying power is in the rapidly expanding areas in Cary and Morrisville. Near where I live in North Raleigh that money buys you a really nice 4 bedroom 2.5 bath colonial on an acre of land, provided you don't want new construction. And I can buy for sub $300k if I'm willing to trade property and maybe .5 bathrooms.

My point is, the financials now are still similar to what they were nearly a decade ago when we first started developing our relocation plans.
He said new or nearly new. When I answer peoples' questions I try to check all the boxes and not push my own agenda. For new or nearly new construction he is going to lay more than$350k regardless of what YOU or I or anyone else thinks he SHOULD do. Bottom line is in the area he is talking about new construction wS well within our budget which was similar to the OP when we moved here 4 years ago and now it's not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary