Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:55 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times

Advertisements

The running joke in Austin about the summer temperatures is folks come to town for SXSW in March, fall in love, buy a place, flounder in the real summer heat and end up selling shortly thereafter. Realtors love it. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 10:51 PM

810 posts, read 1,448,997 times
It says a lot for the Triangle's music scene that people compare it with Austin's, being that Austin is one of the most active live music cities in the US. The average plex this size has much less going on than there is in the Triangle.

My understanding that Austin has been "cool" for so long that it's overrun and not such a pleasant place any more. But that's just an impression from all the scraps that I've heard and read.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:28 AM

55 posts, read 99,040 times
Well…thanks for the awesome input, guys! Seriously! Between poppydog and take57 and North_Raleigh_Guy, I've received some very encouraging news about the Triangle area! A friend of mine visited Raleigh a couple years ago and mentioned they don't like "Yankees," and took that to mean all Northeners! And, I DID live up North in MN for many years, so….I wasn't sure how the folks in Raleigh would feel about me, given that I don't have a Southern accent (and can't fake being from the South!!). I'm certain those more native to the region would pick up on my Northern accent that I'm sure I acquired while living in Minneapolis.

I've only been in CA for a year or so…as I'm only here temporarily. But I have been quite eager to learn more about Raleigh, as quite honestly, the Triangle area is my preference, over Austin, even though I have heard a lot of great things about Austin lately. That said, I do agree with what take57 said, "drive in any direction for three hours and you're still in Texas (and the Texas that is VERY different than Austin if you catch my drift)," and actually, I hadn't even considered that until he mentioned that! But it's a valid point, and not only true, but is a serious consideration. I'm not a Texan, and I don't know if I'd even like Texas, other than Austin…just don't think I'd fit in across much of Texas, other than Austin.

And, truth be told, I've been interested in the Triangle Park area for years. Literally. Years.

Thanks for all the help! I think I've needed someone to bounce around these ideas with, and you guys have helped me a great deal! :-)

Old 09-20-2014, 07:11 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouxSoleil View Post
So, where do you live, ucctgg? Is it warm (but not HOT!) there?! :-)
Boone, NC --- "The High Country".
We just sold our Cary property to developers. 75 new houses for y'all!

Old 09-20-2014, 08:16 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
We like "yankees" fine as long as they're nice folk. It's just the complaining ones (as well as the complaining southerners) that get on our nerves. Most of the folks from the Northeast who move down here are doing so to escape the rat race up North and to slow down, so they usually like NC-ers fine and NC-ers like them fine. There are tons of people here from all over the country and the world. You know how it is, though, if someone moves someplace else and then constantly complains how everything was so much better back where they came from—that gets really tiresome for those within earshot. That's only 0.1% of the transplants that complain like that, but it is a LOUD, sometimes shrill 0.1%. As long as you know what you're getting into (come visit, please, and make sure you like it here!) and are ready to make the best of it with a positive attitude when you move then you should have absolutely no trouble getting along here. There really are people from all over here and we're pretty much all friendly. Make no mistake, though, this is the South. Just 'cause it's NORTH Carolina, doesn't mean it isn't in the South.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:46 AM

660 posts, read 1,005,964 times
Agreed.

Though "Texas hot" and "North Carolina hot" are two different things to me. I've lived neither place, but have visited and experienced. The average Austin temperature in July is about 100+, Raleigh about 88-89. I know it's only about 10-11 degrees, but humidity and degree of night cool-downs also need to be factored in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Both areas have not WARM, but HOT and usually long uncomfortable summers, especially for someone used to Minneapolis or Sunnyvale.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:59 AM

660 posts, read 1,005,964 times
Default The Debate

You're welcome!

I've actually decided on Durham - it looks more interesting to me as far as a place to live day-to-day; and Raleigh and Chapel Hill are each about 20-30 minutes away. One of the things I like is the proximity of things in the Triangle - it's almost like having 3 cities in one. I am headed there in 2 weeks for a visit.

My friends in both places love it in both places. That said, my friend is Austin lives paycheck to paycheck because his rent is high (you can find better deals outside the city - in Round Rock for example - but it's a 45-60 minute commute to Austin in their traffic, which he says is bad) and he travels a lot, so gets out of the heat regularly. He said that most days this past Summer easily approached or topped 100 degrees.

For me it comes down to this; I want to be able to live outdoors as much as possible year round, and that seems more realistic in the Triangle than in the Austin area. Secondly, the cost of living is higher than I'd like in the Austin area, mostly because it's a larger and very "happening" metro region (not that the Triangle isn't happening - both Austin and R-D-CH have seen huge population growth).

I do teach DouxSoleil - but for Colorado State University and it's all remote - I work from home and coffee shops. :-) I'll be looking for something part-time when I make my move though, just to add to my income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouxSoleil View Post
Hey Professor,

Thanks for your input! I appreciate hearing an intelligent response from someone currently in my position who has done their research! So, you've decided on Raleigh, then? I am also extremely interested in Raleigh! And, I too am concerned about the cost of living in Austin. I lived in Mpls, MN for many years, and though I'm currently in Sunnyvale, CA, on a temporary assignment, I do NOT wish to live in extreme cold again. But, I do like the idea of 4 seasons, such as that of Raleigh! I know this: I need to live someplace WARM, or mostly warm, at least, and not frigid, like MN!

Tell me this, what do your friends think of Austin and Raleigh? What sort of experiences have your friends had in these two cities? Tale/s of Two Cities!! I'm more interested in Raleigh, though, but Austin is a close second...

Thanks for your input and assistance, Prof 46! Btw, I have a MA in communication studies. Nearly went for the PhD. Do you teach?

Old 09-20-2014, 10:28 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Durham is a great town. Love it a lot.

We do get over 100 here in the summer, but not usually for weeks at a time (although it has happened) like happens in Austin — maybe even months at a time there. Usually it's just one or two days of 100+ and then it goes back down to 93 or so. Throw in a couple of surprisingly mild 85s and you get an average of 89, but 89 is really not representative of a Durham or Raleigh summer.

Check out the weather channel's weather averages graphs for Durham Average Weather for Durham, NC - Temperature and Precipitation and Austin Average Weather for Austin, TX - Temperature and Precipitation and be sure to click the "record high" and "record low" buttons. You can see that we definitely do have more moderate weather than Austin, where it is H-O-T in the summer, but it can still get quite hot here, though not for as long. Record highs of 105 from June-September. Summers have been really cool the past couple of years. In July 2012 we had a week of 100+ temps and most of the rest of the month was in the 90s, which was an exceptionally hot month, but then that August was really cool and damp. Just weird weather lately — climate change or whatever.

It's completely gorgeous here today, btw, sunny, relatively low humidity and 77. Beautiful September day.

Last edited by poppydog; 09-20-2014 at 10:39 AM..

Old 09-20-2014, 10:52 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
I would take into consideration the overall political landscape in both states as well. That would be enough for me to cross Texas off the list even though Austin is a highly appealing city.
Transplants are welcome here as long as they make an effort to make this their home. Locals get sick of hearing about "how we did it back home", and this 2003 transplanted Yankee does as well.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:30 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
You're welcome!

I've actually decided on Durham
Did you actually visit or just rely on your friends' advice who may or may not like to admit they don't like the place they chose..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary