Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 06:43 AM

750 posts, read 853,913 times

Advertisements

Please could somebody explain the history of these schools. Why do they exist and why are they popular?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 07:13 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
They started in the early 80's by putting special programs and resources into schools which were predominantly in bad neighborhoods as a way to draw suburban kids into those schools to help boost test scores and increase parental involvement. When it was originally started, it was a way to create more racially balanced schools by having suburban families choose to go to school there rather than forced busing.
They are generally popular because of the special programs not found in regular schools.

Last edited by lamishra; 09-29-2014 at 07:23 AM..

Old 09-29-2014, 08:15 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Per the WCPSS web site here are the objectives of the program.;

Magnet objectives
In alignment with the WCPSS Strategic Plan academic focus areas of Facilitating High Academic Achievement and Growth for All Students; and Reducing Achievement Gaps, WCPSS Magnet Programs will continue to be an important mechanism helping to:
  • Reduce high concentrations of poverty and support diverse populations
  • Maximize use of school facilities
  • Provide expanded educational opportunities
WCPSS:*Magnet Schools

Old 09-29-2014, 09:23 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,049 times
We go to a magnet school and love it. I really love the diversity. You have so many different types of people from the affluent to extreme poverty, every race and ethnicity, mensa geniuses to the inept and it is all very harmonious and equal as far as I can tell, at least as much as any sector of society can be. It has also helped my kids from taking so much for granted. It puts it all in perspective when they regularly bring food in for the kids who are food insecure - it makes it much harder to say something is not fair because they don't have an iPad or something ridiculous.

I also love it for the electives they get because it is a magnet. My 5th grader has taken robotics, photography, kitchen chemists, arts, sports, a class where he got to dissect small animals which was fascinating to him, band, holidays around the world, and many more.

Of course, the drawback is the neighborhood. However, he may actually be safer for it because they do take extra precautions. All doors but the front are locked to outsiders, there is a school safety officer, and people are vigilant. I am there all the time and have always felt safe but on the same token, I have seen what appear to be shady characters not very far away too.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:35 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Our son went to Washington GT Magnet years ago and got a great education. The school was in a bad area but was safe.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:54 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsd View Post
We go to a magnet school and love it. I really love the diversity. You have so many different types of people from the affluent to extreme poverty, every race and ethnicity, mensa geniuses to the inept and it is all very harmonious and equal as far as I can tell, at least as much as any sector of society can be. It has also helped my kids from taking so much for granted. It puts it all in perspective when they regularly bring food in for the kids who are food insecure - it makes it much harder to say something is not fair because they don't have an iPad or something ridiculous.

I also love it for the electives they get because it is a magnet. My 5th grader has taken robotics, photography, kitchen chemists, arts, sports, a class where he got to dissect small animals which was fascinating to him, band, holidays around the world, and many more.

Of course, the drawback is the neighborhood. However, he may actually be safer for it because they do take extra precautions. All doors but the front are locked to outsiders, there is a school safety officer, and people are vigilant. I am there all the time and have always felt safe but on the same token, I have seen what appear to be shady characters not very far away too.
My daughter went to Ligon and Enloe...Ligon is in a worse area than Enloe...but both schools were very safe and we never had an issue. We loved all the schools and it was the right choice for us. Thet are not the right school for every student...every year a few great kids/students go back to their base for a variety of reasond.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:35 AM

So apart from the social aspects is it the added courses that make them more attractive than the nearer school where I presume most of the kids in the neighbourhood would go to?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:48 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
So apart from the social aspects is it the added courses that make them more attractive than the nearer school where I presume most of the kids in the neighbourhood would go to?
What point are you trying for here? Yes...it's the varied course work and artistic programs that most people are looking at.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:57 AM

No point. Just trying to understand what the difference is between magnet, charter, elementary and what would make a school so attractive that the parents would drive 50 miles a day to take the kids there. This is what our neughbour does.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:58 AM

How varied can the coursework actually be for 6-10 yr olds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary