Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 07:13 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm sure all are fully trained in shooting in a crowd, managing the adrenaline surge that comes with such a scenario, and of course will sign affidavits on entering that they won't drink alcohol or be abusing their Oxycodone from their last surgery that they're "still in pain from", also that they are mentally stable enough to handle the crowd at the fair which has made me want to shoot someone.
Exactly.

I'm not sure why anyone would feel reassured by the average CCW permit holder carrying a gun to the fair.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:38 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,614,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It's amazing how much fear there is in this country and how many people who think that their fear is eradicated by carrying heat themselves. What could possibly go wrong? Sad......very sad.
exactly. You see stories of accidental gun shootings everyday now. It is simple math, more deadly weapons equals more deadly accidents and deaths.
I thought the fair was something for families and kids to enjoy together. I never ever remember needing a gun growing up going to the fair.

So far the rule was no guns allowed at the fair, why change it now?
Thankfully the ppl that have the say so have enough sense to know it is a bad idea to change it.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:53 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,614,473 times
On a non-gun related post. My sons bday is next Friday. He is turning five. Since we are new here and dont have family around, we are going to the fair on his bday. His school is closed that day so we are going to go check it out for the first time just the 3 of us.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:16 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
On a non-gun related post. My sons bday is next Friday. He is turning five. Since we are new here and dont have family around, we are going to the fair on his bday. His school is closed that day so we are going to go check it out for the first time just the 3 of us.
Go early!

Old 10-11-2014, 08:24 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
I'd say that you have hit the jackpot. Your kid is going to love his birthday! Have fun!!!!

Old 10-11-2014, 08:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
Also the subject of much discussion in the state forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...ndguns-nc.html

Old 10-11-2014, 09:45 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Also the subject of much discussion in the state forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...ndguns-nc.html
That is a very good thread. This is one of those topics that is both statewide AND local since it is held in Raleigh.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:21 AM

687 posts, read 915,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdocstr View Post
Is it just me or is it pretty much nut job territory to feel the need to take a handgun to the state fair?

What are the chances of needing to defend yourself against robbers or whatever while visiting the show during fair hours?
It's not "nutty" at all, and you've been brainwashed into being scared of guns which are simply tools that do nothing on their own and require an operator to use. Guns in the hands of good people help keep folks safe. If the bad guys are the only ones around with guns....that's when crime and violence happens. The same thing could be said about screwdrivers or a wrench or your kitchen knife. In the wrong hands they are all equally deadly, but used appropriately they are productive tools.

If the bad guys know there are plenty of good folks around who will put them down, or at the very least hold them in check until police with arresting powers arrive then they will be much less likely to engage in criminal acts. There's a reason crime is lower in "red leaning" states and a reason why it's so high in liberal areas.

Besides, I'd wager that 95% of all gun violence and criminal activity involving guns (armed robbery, etc.) is committed by the liberal voter base (blacks and hispanics anyone?)

In Wisconsin in 2011 there was a huge flash mob/flash rob at the state fair there. It would have been wonderful if some of the thugs had been put down, although one of the good things to come out if it is that a lot of people woke up how serious and sporadic crime can be in this country, and by whom the vast majority is committed.

Wisconsin State Fair mob attack: Police seek hate crime charges - CSMonitor.com

Hundreds of racist Black youths attack Whites at Wisconsin State Fair - YouTube

Old 10-11-2014, 10:38 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
I'm a bit doubtful anyone would be interested in going into the fair to pull some ****. Very crowded, heavy police presence, limited avenues of escape... those who have to walk to their cars parked on 54 or whatever side street so that they don't have to pay out the nose to park at the fair (let's face it, those prices are absurd) would be much more likely to be a mark than anyone inside the fair would.
Anyhow, apparently my mockery of the OP's "sky is falling" reaction didn't go over too well, but I said originally that it's not going to happen. NC law prohibits carrying in any establishment or event which charges admission, and an exception for the state fair is simply not going to happen. So the panic is over nothing.

I think it is wrong to try and sue to get the ban removed. I think it's dangerous to carry a gun to the fair (accidental discharge with crowds, rides, etc).

But I don't think it adds to the discussion to make a sweeping generalization that they are nuts.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:10 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
It's not "nutty" at all, and you've been brainwashed into being scared of guns which are simply tools that do nothing on their own and require an operator to use. Guns in the hands of good people help keep folks safe. If the bad guys are the only ones around with guns....that's when crime and violence happens. The same thing could be said about screwdrivers or a wrench or your kitchen knife. In the wrong hands they are all equally deadly, but used appropriately they are productive tools.

If the bad guys know there are plenty of good folks around who will put them down, or at the very least hold them in check until police with arresting powers arrive then they will be much less likely to engage in criminal acts. There's a reason crime is lower in "red leaning" states and a reason why it's so high in liberal areas.

Besides, I'd wager that 95% of all gun violence and criminal activity involving guns (armed robbery, etc.) is committed by the liberal voter base (blacks and hispanics anyone?)

In Wisconsin in 2011 there was a huge flash mob/flash rob at the state fair there. It would have been wonderful if some of the thugs had been put down, although one of the good things to come out if it is that a lot of people woke up how serious and sporadic crime can be in this country, and by whom the vast majority is committed.

Wisconsin State Fair mob attack: Police seek hate crime charges - CSMonitor.com

Hundreds of racist Black youths attack Whites at Wisconsin State Fair - YouTube
You can't shoot someone for theft in any state but Texas IIRC. And it has to be your own property, or, I think maybe your neighbors.

The bolded mentality is what scares me about all the pro-gun people. Taking a life in public is a very different situation than shooting someone trying to enter your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary