Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 04:03 PM

765 posts, read 476,640 times

Advertisements

I think it is very very astute of you to be upfront about your liberal leanings, most of us northern folks are, we are so used to a totally different mind set and it really is another planet in a different solar system in a galaxy far far away down here from what we are used to, southerners do tend look askance at our frankness, openness, but do not change yourself to fit the fashions down here. Don't ya have a few hundred neighbors who want to live in a warmer climate? We sure could have used a few more liberal voters in this last election, North Narrow-lina is violently red. Yes, I have heard this area is crazy competitive, it is because of the RTP, Research Triangle Park, people come in every day from all over the world, many are here for only a few weeks, a couple of months, maybe up to 6 months or a year, depending on the tech position they are filling, specialty jobs, short term, lots of consulting seem to be the norm, to fit the up to the latest minute need. I'd say yes to packing most of your stuff into a POD and renting down here until you find a job, if you know of anyone anywhere near here, contact them, they might have friends at Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, NCSU, any kind of connection can help. But I do want to say upfront, just personally, after what happened to me when i moved here... I wouldn't ever move to Durham, live in Durham, has a huge crime rate, at least it did when I entered North Carolina, I didn't realize it. I rented a room on March 1 and on March 21 I was beaten, assaulted, robbed and my car was stolen by a gang of 14 year old girls..... come to find out Durham was ranked, in 2012 as only 5 percent safe....that is, out of all the cities in the United States of American, 95 percent of them are safer than Durham. Just saying, i rode subways AT 4am , jazz in the Lennox lounge of Harlem until 3 am, Port Authority bus terminal all the way back downtown at 5 am, never ever had a problem, I come here and get violently attacked while a crowd of 50 people just stood, watched and cheered in wild glee filled celebration with every blow that hit me, am now permanently in pain with neurological damage to my leg. No. I personally would never move to Durham. There are so many smaller, quieter, safer towns...... But if you don't have any kind of jobs lined up, do not overlook Charlotte either, I have heard some wonderful things about Charlotte, and they have the only IKEA in the state, LOL.... so yeah, look into Charlotte area too, which will bring you closer to the radically beautiful artsy fartsy Ashville area and the Cherokee Nation reservation for real ethnic, indigenous diversity. Charlotte is hugely arts friendly, especially when it comes to theater arts, has some of the best regional theaters too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 10:41 AM

2,798 posts, read 3,000,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
BTW, we learned long ago that polite conversation avoids the topics of religion and politics. We find and enjoy our socializing and our friends so much more. Frankly, if it weren't for their Facebook posts, I'd never know their political leanings (which is my preference).
I find this to be very true, myself. Before I moved down here, all my Boston friends were like "Look out, you're going to be in a really conservative area." Then I got down here and said I really hadn't experienced a lot of conservative political discussions, they're like "Oh, well, you're in Raleigh, wait until you get further out into the country", etc. I've read on this message board that Garner (where I live now) is supposed to be one of the more conservative parts of Wake County but I wouldn't know it from my day-to-day experience other than the yard signs that a few neighbors put up before the election.

I just haven't encountered too many people talking about politics or religion in this area. With the exception of one jerky barber in Raleigh who wouldn't shut up about those uppity black folks, I think I've had a total of one discussion about politics, with one of my coworkers, and even that was an extremely vague "They're all a bunch of crooks" sort of thing.

Even if I happen to overhear a conversation between two friends in a gym locker room or something, I hear discussions about sports or hunting or other leisure activities; I've never heard people talking about politics even when they're talking to someone they've presumably known for a long time.

Same with religion. There are more churches down here than Dunkin Donuts back in Boston (or so it seems) but people barely talk about it. I happen to know that two of my closest friends at work (both southerners) are very religious, because they've mentioned the fact that they are very religious, but that's the extent of it. I've never been proselytized or asked whether I go to church or anything like that.

Speaking as a lifelong Massachusetts liberal, I've never had any uncomfortable conversations about religion or politics down here (except that one time at the barber's) because I've hardly had any conversations about religion or politics at all.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:30 PM

210 posts, read 320,585 times
We relocated here from the midwest in September and settled on Chapel Hill. My husband commutes to Cary, and his commute isn't a big deal at all (maybe 20-25 minutes).

We hadn't ever been to NC prior to our relocation, and finding schools, safe rentals, and a community with a good vibe was important to us.

Specifically because of the schools being so overcrowded in Cary and Apex, we avoided that area. Really love Cary, and it's a 20 minute drive from us so no big deal when we want to visit. We settled on Chapel Hill (which is right next door to Carborro). We love our choice and don't plan on moving out of this area. The schools here are excellent and there is lots to do! We are about 5 miles from UNC, and while things aren't really walking distance unless you live near campus, we can get anywhere we need within about 10 minutes.

As for politics, we haven't really had those conversations with people. There is so much diversity here, due to a high number of relocations, that I think you will find people of all differing viewpoints around you.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:14 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,881,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples75 View Post
Hi
Thanks for the info so far! As for how much we want to spend, we are looking for a modern type house (maybe 400 - 650K range). As for working, we don't have jobs yet in this area! which is crazy, I know, but we would prefer to find a great neighborhood first, then work (I think).
I don't understand this--what if you don't find jobs at all, or find them a long way from where you settle?
Despite what you may be hearing about this area, people don't just move here and fend off the showers of job offers coming their way. There's a lot of competition for jobs here, in part because everybody is trying to move here.

If your husband is "uber-liberal", Carrboro or Chapel Hill are the best bet, but he may get frustrated by the "uber-Conservative" politics of North Carolina as a whole, these days. While the population of NC is pretty much 50-50 Red/Blue (with a large chunk of Independents), a Tea Party takeover and ridiculous gerrymandering have made this state solid Red from top to bottom at the moment. If he's the type to get his blood pressure up over political news, he may not be able to stand it in Nc, even if Carrboro is basically "The Berkeley of NC".

You haven't said what fields you'd be looking for jobs IN? I strongly recommend scoping out your job prospects, unless you're independently wealthy or have LOTS saved up, before moving here. The more liberal areas also tend to be the more expensive.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:20 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,881,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
Don't ya have a few hundred neighbors who want to live in a warmer climate? We sure could have used a few more liberal voters in this last election, North Narrow-lina is violently red.
WRONG. Any political commentator in the US will tell you NC is about as "Purple" a state as they come. The NC Legislature is scary-red right now, but that's due to literally ONE election, 2010, which just happened to coincide with redistricting and so the GOP drew themselves nice safe districts.

Please note how close the recent Tills-Hagan election was, and right up to election day, it was the closest race in the country. Turnout, not "Violent Red" citizenry, is what pushed Mr. Tillis over the line.

And BTW, an exit poll said 46% of transplants voted for Tillis, so transplants are certainly not "a bucket of Blue paint" for the state (as much as I wish that were true). You've only lived here two years; learn a little more about the state before you characterize it to others, please.

Quote:
I wouldn't ever move to Durham, live in Durham, has a huge crime rate, at least it did when I entered North Carolina, I didn't realize it. ..... come to find out Durham was ranked, in 2012 as only 5 percent safe....that is, out of all the cities in the United States of American, 95 percent of them are safer than Durham.
Also NOT true by objective statistics. Another site (which I am not allowed to link to) lists the crime indexes of cities/towns, and of the 15 municipalities in NC > 50,000, Durham is smack dab in the middle at #8 and only just a little over Asheville. Safer than Wilmington, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, or Fayetteville, if you narrow it to only 100,000+. I'm sorry you got attacked, but you are extrapolating what happened to you to the entire down, and statistics just don't back that up.

Rank Crime Index ▲ City / Population
(1 is safest, 15 is most dangerous)

1. 701 Cary, NC / 135,234
2. 1,433 Jacksonville, NC / 70,145
3. 1,561 Chapel Hill, NC / 57,233
4. 1,913 Raleigh, NC / 403,892
5. 1,960 Concord, NC / 79,066
6. 2,765 Asheville, NC / 83,393
7. 2,803 High Point, NC / 104,371
8. 2,982 Durham, NC / 228,330
9. 3,192 Greenville, NC / 84,554
10. 3,208 Greensboro, NC / 269,666
11. 3,212 Wilmington, NC / 106,476
12. 3,316 Winston Salem, NC / 229,617
13. 3,600 Gastonia, NC / 71,741
14. 3,758 Fayetteville, NC / 200,564
15. 4,195 Rocky Mount, NC / 57,477

Last edited by Francois; 11-21-2014 at 03:29 PM..

Old 11-22-2014, 08:34 AM

6,411 posts, read 5,543,668 times
Chapel Hill/Carrboro is the only place in the triangle that has what you are looking for.

It's relatively expensive for NC but when comparing it to NYC or Seattle it won't be that big of a deal. Your budget puts you comfortably in the range for a typical family home in Chapel Hill.

Chapel Hill and Carrboro both have nice walkable downtown areas with local/boutique shops and restaurants (Chapel Hill being a little more "high end" with Carrboro being a little more "hipster/edgy"....however you won't find many family-houses within walking distance of Franklin St or Main St.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 5,038 times
I would suggest looking for a nice, updated home in the Mordecai Village neighborhood of Raleigh. It's a great location, walkable to places, families and maybe a bit more liberal than surrounding areas. Homes are older, but might be able to find something you like. Just another alternative.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:46 PM

379 posts, read 581,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
WRONG. Any political commentator in the US will tell you NC is about as "Purple" a state as they come. The NC Legislature is scary-red right now, but that's due to literally ONE election, 2010, which just happened to coincide with redistricting and so the GOP drew themselves nice safe districts.

Please note how close the recent Tills-Hagan election was, and right up to election day, it was the closest race in the country. Turnout, not "Violent Red" citizenry, is what pushed Mr. Tillis over the line.

And BTW, an exit poll said 46% of transplants voted for Tillis, so transplants are certainly not "a bucket of Blue paint" for the state (as much as I wish that were true). You've only lived here two years; learn a little more about the state before you characterize it to others, please.

Also NOT true by objective statistics. Another site (which I am not allowed to link to) lists the crime indexes of cities/towns, and of the 15 municipalities in NC > 50,000, Durham is smack dab in the middle at #8 and only just a little over Asheville. Safer than Wilmington, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, or Fayetteville, if you narrow it to only 100,000+. I'm sorry you got attacked, but you are extrapolating what happened to you to the entire down, and statistics just don't back that up.

Rank Crime Index ▲ City / Population
(1 is safest, 15 is most dangerous)

1. 701 Cary, NC / 135,234
2. 1,433 Jacksonville, NC / 70,145
3. 1,561 Chapel Hill, NC / 57,233
4. 1,913 Raleigh, NC / 403,892
5. 1,960 Concord, NC / 79,066
6. 2,765 Asheville, NC / 83,393
7. 2,803 High Point, NC / 104,371
8. 2,982 Durham, NC / 228,330
9. 3,192 Greenville, NC / 84,554
10. 3,208 Greensboro, NC / 269,666
11. 3,212 Wilmington, NC / 106,476
12. 3,316 Winston Salem, NC / 229,617
13. 3,600 Gastonia, NC / 71,741
14. 3,758 Fayetteville, NC / 200,564
15. 4,195 Rocky Mount, NC / 57,477
Well said. I translated her post to mean "it sucked up north, so I came down here because it is better climate and job growth. I'd like to make it suck here too"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary