Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 03:53 PM

5 posts, read 9,713 times

Advertisements

Hi! We (myself, husband and toddler son) are thinking of moving to the research triangle. We are moving from Seattle (via Brooklyn) and need help finding an area that has the following (in order of priority)... and budget is around 500K give or take...

1. Safe area with great schools (mainly preschools for now)
2. Urban, ideally walking distance to restaurants, boutique shops, etc..
3. More liberal, less conservative would be a plus

Does this exist?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 04:05 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,994,667 times
Yes, it it exists, but it it would be helpful if you gave us more information about where you plan to work, how much you want to spend.

#2 is going to be the hardest, as most of the towns around here are the very definition of "suburban sprawl". There are a few towns with slightly larger downtown areas but nothing like you'd see in the Northeast (I don't know Seattle).

Schools are handled on a county-wide basis and most of the schools in Wake County seem to be pretty good. That said, the most well regarded seem to be in Cary, Apex, Holly Springs (to the southwest) and Wake Forest (to the northeast), which all seem to be fairly liberal places as well.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:53 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,361,722 times
Carrboro and Chapel Hill, tick the boxes for all of the above.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:54 PM

765 posts, read 474,867 times
$500 K would get you a nice place in Carrboro or Chapel Hill, very very nice towns with a very liberal attitude. Carrboro is the one I would love to live in but I can't afford it (I'm an old old lady and live out on the outskirts of the " Charboro " area. The nice thing about it (that I can't take advantage of) is the free transit buses that circle around the whole area, Carrboro is just a neat, funky, really hopping kinda place for young folk like you. When i drive by in downtown, all the little bistros, restaurants and gathering places are packed!!! Everyone is out on the town, enjoying life, conversing and sharing, it really looks idyllic. I don't know about the school systems, I would think Chapel Hill and Carrboro schools would offer great educations, but since I am an old lady who has only lived in NC for two years, I am not in the know about those things anymore. All I know is that I chose this area because of the strong artsy-fartsy kinda people that live here. Carrboro hosts all kinds of community activities, the one I love is the Fall Poetry Festival, but they have so so much going on all the time. I would think a young family would love to live here with all the events and amenities a University area has to offer. I sense that Carrboro really is a rare, small gem of a community that any family would love to grow and prosper in.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:02 PM

CHCCS is the best school system in the state, so no worries there. And it's not a county system, so make sure you're in the CHCCS district. It's Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools. It's like a tiny Seattle here, but less rain.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:19 PM

5 posts, read 9,713 times
Hi
Thanks for the info so far! As for how much we want to spend, we are looking for a modern type house (maybe 400 - 650K range). As for working, we don't have jobs yet in this area! which is crazy, I know, but we would prefer to find a great neighborhood first, then work (I think).

And thanks for the advice on the CHCCS. Great tip!

My husband is uber liberal and I'm worried he won't be happy anywhere in NC. Carrboro sounds like a good option for us. Are there any specific areas within Carrboro or is it pretty small?

Old 11-14-2014, 10:01 PM

Chapel Hill and Carrboro are teeny tiny compared to Seattle and Brooklyn. Chapel Hill is home to UNC, so sort of Berkley of the Southeast. Carrboro is a separate town, but like a borough they just run together and their downtowns meet. Together I think the population is about 90,000 or so. Chapel Hill is about 60,000 and Carrboro is about 30,000. Google will tell you w/o having to follow a link.

I'd be concerned about the job first. The market can be tough, but if you have the right skills there are good jobs. I have known personally, and read here on city-data, about folks looking for work for more than a year. I wouldn't come w/o a job unless you've got plenty of savings to live off of.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:26 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,889,028 times
I'm in total agreement with poppydog, both in the recommended area of CH \ Carreboro and that deciding on a community prior to finding jobs is a huge mistake.

CH might be an ideal community, but if you're commuting on a daily basis to, say, downtown Raleigh, I'll venture a guess that you'll be miserable in a year. Not a good way to enjoy life or your family.

Find the jobs then determine where to live. If you need to rent first, do it. If you need to rent while looking for jobs, consider Brier Creek.

BTW, we learned long ago that polite conversation avoids the topics of religion and politics. We find and enjoy our socializing and our friends so much more. Frankly, if it weren't for their Facebook posts, I'd never know their political leanings (which is my preference).

Old 11-15-2014, 03:39 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,302,265 times
You can find a good many people who are very liberal in the Triangle area. I agree with the others regarding locating jobs before firmly committing to one city or town over the other.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:49 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,363,550 times
I'll agree on Chapel Hill / Carborro as well. If you are commuting to RTP or Durham then it will be a great fit. But Jkgourmet is right - you don't want to be commuting to Raleigh from Chapel Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary