Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 07:36 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,881,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
but at this point, it's beginning to look like you'll get as much useful advice on this particular subject from any random house pet or farm animal as you will in this thread.
Hey....I'm offended by that statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 08:17 PM

286 posts, read 749,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutenski View Post
I guess a plastic oil container would work, only question is where to get spares if you don't have these things laying around? It seems to me the best place to get discarded containers would be.... well Wake County hazmat disposal. So why cant the attendant just take my container and pour it into some other container he already has?

Your response is well taken but I think you see what I'm getting at... Wake County is the one with the incentive to encourage proper disposal, but they are only creating obstacles to doing so (if what the attendant said is true, he may have been sniffing too much petrol).

Since you do not drink milk and have empty milk jugs, do you happen to use liquid laundry detergent? I dispose of my old used motor oil in empty laundry detergent jugs.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:37 PM

24 posts, read 27,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy61 View Post
Since you do not drink milk and have empty milk jugs, do you happen to use liquid laundry detergent? I dispose of my old used motor oil in empty laundry detergent jugs.
That's a good one, I hadn't thought to keep those jugs around, thanks.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:01 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
True. It's pure idiocy to put something in a car engine outside the manufacturers specs.
Interestingly, my car manual says not to use gas with Ethanol in it yet the government sees fit to make me use it anyway. I agree I wouldn't put mix gas in my car though.

As far as your issue, if you are not willing to use Sta BIL which has been proven to prevent stale gas issues, why not just bring an empty milk or other container with you, then transfer the gas to the jug at the back of the car right before you hand it over.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:32 AM

612 posts, read 1,280,611 times
Doesn't Wake county have curbside recycling? Take a stroll around your block on recycle day and I'm sure you'll find plenty of free plastic containers. You might not drink milk, or anything that comes in a plastic container, but one of your neighbors probably does.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:27 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Can anyone read, comprehend, and address the question that is asked?

What does Wake county want us to put it in, if they aren't trying to rob us of costly containers?

Ill be happy to just dump it wherever, but they are the one promoting proper disposal.
I do not know what Wake County wants you to do. I believe that Wake County is probably on board with the new regulations that come with small portable gas tanks, and is trying to get the old, no longer compliant, gas tanks. Do NOT give them your old tanks. The new nozzles are a royal PITA to use.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:07 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I do not know what Wake County wants you to do. I believe that Wake County is probably on board with the new regulations that come with small portable gas tanks, and is trying to get the old, no longer compliant, gas tanks. Do NOT give them your old tanks. The new nozzles are a royal PITA to use.
Yeah, after my half decent working old school EPA approved can mechanism broke and I saw the current ones, which are a complete joke, I bought one of these and haven't looked back. Eagle | Safety Cans | BEST SELLING EAGLE SAFETY CANS Stays closed when you want it closed and opens when you want it open, with no leaking.

They have them on Woot.com for a discount every couple of months.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:45 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times
Do NOT use milk jugs!!!!
They will MELT. Seriously, the plastic will be dissolved by the gas and you will get a flammable puddle of goo. (First hand experience!)

Consider: most kinds of plastic are just solidified petroleum. It takes a special type of plastic to handle gasoline.

As with the other 'helpers', I'm sorry but I don't have an exact answer, just another suggestion. You want the answer to a specific rule for a rare situation, you really are better off just picking up the phone. Even if someone 'thought' they knew the specific rule, that might have been last year, and rules change.

As for my suggestion? Take the contaminated gas to any place that does oil changes. They sell their contaminated oil to companies the clean it and sell it for fuel oil in boilers and such. Places like that are enthusiastic about you bringing in your own oil, and pouring it into their tank. Oil-contaminated gas shouldn't make a bit of difference to them and it might be a lot more convenient for you. (But you should phone the specific place first, just to be sure).

Old 06-06-2016, 12:14 AM

130 posts, read 148,564 times
.Excess gasoline in good shape can be added to the fuel tank of a gasoline-powered car or truck.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:07 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
I'm sure there is a law against this, but I try to buy only what I need for a season. If there is some left over, it's not much, but I put it in another gas can, store it elsewhere (to avoid confusion, I have two sheds), and use it as fire-pit starter.

half a dozen pine cones, all the tree-schwag in my yard, and a few logs on top of that, and I can start an awesome fire in any condition.

OK, since I live in Cary, and fire-pits are technically illegal, I was just kidding, but "if it were legal, that's what I would do" [/nod-wink]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary