Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 01:47 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

If they keep doing that on Weston once MetLife is up and at capacity, they'll wind up getting hit by a car.

The volume of traffic on that road is about to increase dramatically. It's been increasing every year now for at least the past 5 years. It will be much busier once that place is operating.

Weston Parkway needs sidewalks. We have been saying that for years.

Btw? I hate these people who jog/walk around town and across roads in Cary wearing black and no reflective clothing. I just know I'm gonna hit one one day.

As has already been said... it's "jarring" to come across one at night.

I always figure them to be people from places with more street lights.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:47 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Did you read what you wrote? So because car drivers are being reckless we should ban bicycles on the road?
I don't think we should ban bikes, but I see his point. What we need is more bike lanes.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:13 PM

347 posts, read 521,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
What we need is more bike lanes.
Which isn't going to happen. Cary Town Council had the opportunity to vote for a plan that included bike lanes on the stretch of Walnut Street leading into downtown. They didn't approve that plan because of a minor inconvenience to the people who live on that part of Walnut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 02:18 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Just start enforcing the law:

When a sidewalk is available, pedestrians must use the sidewalk instead of walking on the roadway, which is defined as the part of the highway that is paved, graveled, or otherwise improved for vehicle travel. [§20-174 (d) and §20-4.01 (38)]

When sidewalks are not provided, pedestrians walking along or on the highway should, when practicable, walk on the extreme left of the roadway or shoulder facing traffic and must yield the right-of- way to traffic. [§20-174(d)]

Old 01-08-2015, 02:23 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
This has come up before on this topic, and the answer has been that asphalt is more forgiving to runners' joints than concrete.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:37 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
In the past I had to give up riding my horse along the side of roads, even though it was perfectly legal to do so. Times changed, fewer drivers were aware of the dangers associated with horses, and I had to change. Riding a bicycle along major roads may be fun, but it adversely affects the movement of traffic and degrades the efficiency of communities.

Horse riders for the most part have had to find a way to pay for the set-aside of land to meet their needs. Cyclists should examine this idea for themselves. If cyclists want land to ride on at high speeds (recreational riding) or without regard to the needs of motor vehicle drivers, they should seriously consider buying thier own land for this purpose. Expecting the other 95% (non cyclists) to pay for their hobby is not reasonable. Cyclists could build paths and tracks and folks pay a fee to use them.

At the very least, the cyclist might want to find ways to make the rest of the public more accepting of their position, rather than finding ways to antagonize the general public. Many bike riders do just that, but a lot like to use their activities to challenge those who need to get to jobs, jobsites, and to buy groceries.

Getting back to the jogger issue, joggers are meant to walk against the traffic because it is logical that the jogger would be watching out for the needs of traffic and be willing to jump a couple feet to the side of the road to avoid a collision. I doubt that a pack of runners in the middle of a roadway would be as agile.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:01 PM

750 posts, read 853,084 times
I've seen them too! I was really shocked. I've never seen anyone run on a road like that anywhere in the world. And like you said you go past them but I can't help thinking that if something goes wrong the car won't come off second best

Old 01-08-2015, 04:20 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Cyclists are not allowed on certain roads (interstates!), but they certainly are legally entitled to ride on other roads. Many people do use bikes as their main mode of everyday transportation. I know several people who do not own cars.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:20 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Riding a bicycle along major roads may be fun, but it adversely affects the movement of traffic and degrades the efficiency of communities.
Trust me, it is anything but fun, and most avid cyclists go to pretty decent lengths to find routes that are NOT on busy roads. When Commuting from Cary to RTP (for work), for example, I'll take back roads like Louis Stephens to avoid being on Davis. Good for bike and car. When possible, I'll take greenways, bike lanes, or backroads every time. That being said, there are some times where you need to connect a route with a less desireable road.

And just like car drivers, yes, there are some A-hole cyclists, but I would venture to say, not nearly as many as the A-hole drivers.

As for flow of traffic, the more our area grows, and the more there is gridlock (or stop and go) traffic, Bikes will be a viable alternative that won't slow anything down, only take (a small amount of) load off the road.

Also, many of the roads (especially in Cary) have wider right lanes for cycles. If cyclists stay to the right (as most, but not all do), then there is room to safely pass. Weston is one of those roads, as is Cary Pkwy.

I don't know who is the bigger prick. Cyclists that take the lane when they don't have to, or cars who unsafely pass cyclists when they don't have to.

I'll take a lane only when I need to, and only for a short distance (no shoulder, narrow bridge, approaching a RED light, etc...). I realize that I have to give respect if I want to get it, so I do (give it).

Old 01-08-2015, 06:57 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
Which isn't going to happen. Cary Town Council had the opportunity to vote for a plan that included bike lanes on the stretch of Walnut Street leading into downtown. They didn't approve that plan because of a minor inconvenience to the people who live on that part of Walnut.
If you lived on Walnut St. and had to make a U turn to enter your driveway it wouldn't seem minor to you. That was the plan to add a median which would have impacted multiple homeowners so a bike lane could be created oh and also so it could have pretty landscaping in the middle. I think they made the right decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary