Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 08:45 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times

Advertisements

Did you guys get mail delivery today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 09:03 PM

238 posts, read 669,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Well that shows it does not snow every year.

And aren't we talking about the Triangle?
Come on man. You are getting into semantics now. Ok...it snows ALMOST every year. It has the past nine years. Enough for people around here not to go into a turtle shell over an inch of snow and a little ice on their street. My last post on this...I understand it is pointless and will never change. Like I said I love living here but it's very frustrating with the panic every year.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:07 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
yup. got mail.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
Come on man. You are getting into semantics now. Ok...it snows ALMOST every year. It has the past nine years. Enough for people around here not to go into a turtle shell over an inch of snow and a little ice on their street. My last post on this...I understand it is pointless and will never change. Like I said I love living here but it's very frustrating with the panic every year.
Who's panicky? It's fun.

The news people play it up, but people pretty much just like the snow days.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I hate winter, but if I hafta deal with snow, please don't take away my snow days!! It would take all the fun away for it to be just a regular day with white stuff on the ground. BOOOOORING!

It really doesn't snow almost every year, either. It's cyclical. The 90s had only 3 out of 10 years with snow, a 2inch year, a 1 inch year, and a 3 inch year and the rest had nada. Then in 2000 we got the 20inch year (which is VERY rare). Apparently snowfall in NC is inversely tied to the NAO (North Atlantic Oscillation — sorta like El Niño, but different): North Carolina Snowfall | State Climate Office of North Carolina .

Having grown up in NC and having lived here pretty much all my life, I have a little more experience with how often it snows in the winter here than folks who have moved to the area in the past several years. It does not snow every year. And about half the time that it does snow it's 2 inches or less and melts the next day or two. What you've experienced this year and last year is not the most common scenario for a North Carolina winter, but winter in NC is pretty durn fickle — might snow, might not; might be a dusting, could be 20 inches, most commonly it's 2 inches and gone the next day. I was really thinking we might have a snow free year this year.

Last edited by poppydog; 02-19-2015 at 10:30 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 04:42 AM

913 posts, read 886,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Did you guys get mail delivery today?
Not only did I get mail, I had to push the stuck mail truck off the icy speed bump. She had been stuck there for quite a while when I found her.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:54 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

Having grown up in NC and having lived here pretty much all my life, I have a little more experience with how often it snows in the winter here than folks who have moved to the area in the past several years. It does not snow every year.
Oy.

Well, as a lot of us believe regardless of where we grew up, the times/climate are a changing.

I did not grow up here and certainly can't give you the history of North Carolina winters, however I can say that it has snowed here at least a little bit almost every year since I moved here (and I don't know about the year I was in Wilmington...it's different there).

Soooo maybe we all have something to offer here in terms of opinion.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:13 AM

162 posts, read 291,973 times
Nothing says we can't deal with snow more than cancelling trash pickup until Tuesday.

RALEIGH: Solid waste, recycling pickup rescheduled - WNCN: News, Weather, Raleigh, Durham, Fayetteville

Really? And why not start again Monday? Temps are supposed to rise and roads s/b clear.

Hard to understand why when the post office has sent their much smaller trucks out to at least attempt mail delivery - yay for them!

I understand - to a certain degree- the school closures (and lucky me has been able to avoid bored teens by escaping to work but this seems unnecessary.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:33 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
That's the thing about weather: everybody complains about it, but nobody DOES anything.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:50 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
To me it is not about the schools closing, I understand why they are closed, they are not dug/cleaned out. I drove past a school in North Hills and the entrance was covered with packed snow and ice. Out of curiosity, who should clean up a school?

Schools aside there are a couple of things I don't understand. People say it is not worth the investment in equipment, it does not snow much here. Ice however, seems to be a regular issue based on many posts that I have read and plows are not helpful for ice or a dusting of snow. What about spreaders for salt and sand? That would have helped and could still help on the side roads tremendously. As far as the cost, you will pay for this storm one way or another. If you do not want to pay for clean up, just realize you as a taxpayer are paying for lost revenue to the State due to storm closures, you pay for them annually, there might be a cheaper way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary