Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2006, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,705 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been considering relocating to NC and, from everything we've read, Wake County looked good to us. (Good schools, nice areas, etc.) As we've researched this further it looks as though they are making the move entirely to year round schools. Am I correct in this assumption? How does the public feel about it? What about the teachers? My husband and I are both school teachers in NJ and this has basically put a halt to our considering Wake County. Between our jobs and our kids' school schedules I don't imagine we could find any free time together.

Does this seem to be the trend in other areas of NC, as well? We'd really like to move but good schools (with a traditional calendar) in a nice moderate-liberal minded community are a priority. Does anyone have any input or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 02:52 PM

56 posts, read 356,469 times
I can't tell you about other places in NC, but Wake seems to be going in that direction, at least in the elementary schools. There is a lot of info about it on their (local Raleigh) newspaper website, especially in WakeEd under the Blogs tab.
www.newsobserver.com
Also look at the Raleigh metro section of this forum -- it's a subsection of the North Carolina section; I remember there have been some posts about it there that will give you some info and opinions. Good luck in your decision.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:57 PM

56 posts, read 356,469 times
You might need search the forum to find all the posts that cover this subject -- you could also try re-posting your question in that section.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:39 PM

180 posts, read 733,886 times
From what i've read on the forum here, Wake elementary schools will be year round and they will be on four tracks, you should be able to get your children on the same track. And alot of teachers like the year round there because students retain more than having the two months off in the summer, no reteaching.
also vacations are less expensive because you don't have to go on the typical school vacation weeks. it's basically 9 weeks on ,3 weeks off all year and they just rotate the tracks. I kind of like the idea myself and if and when we move I will embrace it. Scott

Old 11-07-2006, 01:03 AM

25 posts, read 69,437 times
I taught in year round schools and I LOVED it.

It:

*relieves overcrowding
*eliminates reteaching - no summer brain fog
*always a break coming up. We were on three months, off one, three times a year. So you might have school in July, be off in August, school in Sept Oct Nov, be off in December, school in Jan Feb March, be off in April, school in May and June (and July). A four track system just varies the months. And 1/4 of the school population is always on vacation.
*Less teacher burnout
*Pay 12 months out of the year! No saving $ for summer.
*You can travel during the off months without pulling your kids out of school!

If you can get you and your husband and your kids all on the same track, I promise you, you will really love this schedule. Districts are usually very good about placing families all on the same track together, their parents too if they are teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary