Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:06 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

Best wishes to you and your son, goodbyesnow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 09:12 PM

449 posts, read 699,466 times
I'll be hoping for the best for you and your son.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:46 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
Thanks all. Tomorrow is the big day.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:40 PM

Update:
So much for all of the helpful responses and tips! We arrived on Manning Dr. at 10:30-plenty of time for an 11:00 appt, right? NOT! traffic was at a standstill, and when we finally get to the structure it is full and we are told to just drive down to Ridge rd and park in that structure. Came out the back end and had no idea where we were.
Some guy tells a flock of us lost souls to follow him: (mind you we have an 8 year old in a big bulky stroller due to his weak legs) down paths, up stairs, down stairs, around and back, dead ends, other paths until we FINALLY make it to a hospital-on the other end! A Kind Doc tells us how to get to the other end and we made it at only 11:15, but it seems everyone was having the problem so we were not the only late ones.
I hope this was a fluke and it is not always like this!

We have to go back for more tests in a couple weeks-they're taking some bone marrow next. By that time I might just be in the psych ward, so I wont have to worry about the drive!

Old 03-06-2015, 03:42 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
Update:
So much for all of the helpful responses and tips! We arrived on Manning Dr. at 10:30-plenty of time for an 11:00 appt, right? NOT! traffic was at a standstill, and when we finally get to the structure it is full and we are told to just drive down to Ridge rd and park in that structure. Came out the back end and had no idea where we were.
Some guy tells a flock of us lost souls to follow him: (mind you we have an 8 year old in a big bulky stroller due to his weak legs) down paths, up stairs, down stairs, around and back, dead ends, other paths until we FINALLY make it to a hospital-on the other end! A Kind Doc tells us how to get to the other end and we made it at only 11:15, but it seems everyone was having the problem so we were not the only late ones.
I hope this was a fluke and it is not always like this!

We have to go back for more tests in a couple weeks-they're taking some bone marrow next. By that time I might just be in the psych ward, so I wont have to worry about the drive!
Aww, sorry it was a hassle. Fingers crossed that your worries will be for naught and all tests come back negative. I thought of you yesterday when I drove by Manning. Hope your next visit is traffic free.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:04 PM

Michgc-thanks so much. Your previous offer of help was very touching. It certainly is hard being in a new place and not knowing anyone.

The Dr. just called and says based on this third blood test, we can put off the marrow biopsy (or whatever he called it) and just do another blood draw in the next month or two. His numbers look much better than the two previous ones here at his pediatrician. He says UNC can have that affect on people!

People there were so friendly-even all the people we stopped along the way asking where to go, or if we were still going the right way. i was truly amazed by the friendliness. And the Dr went to UW-madison and his wife literally was raised near where we moved from (like really close by) and went to the schools my kids did (and the #4 in the state high school DD WOULD be at if we were still there). He has family in our hometown. What a small world.
I have to say, as stressful as it was, it was a pleasant experience.
And now after this call, I may not be headed to the funny farm.
Next is the ear surgery for the poor kid, but that is only in Raleigh!

Thanks again for your virtual support.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:18 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
I'm surprised to hear the Dogwood deck was full. Another option for next time is valet. They do it in front of the cancer hospital and in front of the main hospital. It is $10.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:14 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
So sorry for the stressful parking situation. I've never had that happen! Glad you managed to find your way there and you got a positive report so far. Hope it stays that way.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:16 PM

600 posts, read 1,220,432 times
agree, I have gone there many times and never had that happen! Glad you got good news!

Old 03-07-2015, 05:17 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
The traffic in that area can be quite frustrating but I'm glad you kept your cool and got to where you needed to be. I used to park in Dogwood and wait for the golf cart to drive me to the hospital. Free. Now DDH uses valet so he can ehlp navigate me around. As much as a hassle traffic and parking can be I feel it is worth it. I'm always very happy with how I am treated at UNC medical facilities.

I sincerely hope your son's prognosis is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary