Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 06:06 PM

19 posts, read 26,472 times

Advertisements

Hi Jamie-

I just moved to Clayton from Murfreesboro, TN at the end of February, so not too far from Franklin! We also looked into moving to Wake Forest and ultimately decided we did not want to deal with the complexity of the Wake County school system. We have a second grader and I didn't want to have to figure all that out at the end of the school year when my best options would probably be capped. I have heard great things about that area though. We are loving Clayton and the school my son attends here, so if you have any questions feel free to message me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 07:39 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Wake County schools are not as crazy as you may hear or read. Growth is causing overcrowding. New schools are being built and when they are built, kids are moved. Kids don't care as long as their friends move with them. Parents seem to be more concerned.

Hubby works in Clayton/Garner area. His commute from North Raleigh to Clayton in the morning and afternoon commutes is 25 to 30 minutes. Sister's commute from Clayton to North Raleigh during commute times is 60 minutes.

Nothing wrong with either Clayton or Wake Forest.

When looking at Wake Forest and you see an acre lot, look at the schools. If it doesn't say Wake County, you are looking at Franklin County schools or others.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:40 PM

342 posts, read 387,831 times
What specific schools are the houses you are looking at zoned for?

I live in Wake Forest and my kids are at Heritage middle and went to Heritage Elementary. Overall, the schools in Wake Forest are all solid. There really aren't any schools that people try to avoid or are considered "bad." This used to be the case with Wake Forest Middle, but they have gotten a new principal and I have heard great things the past two years. The schools are very stable here and there isn't really rezoning in the recent years, other than a few new schools opening, but that is to be expected.

As far as the links you posted, that wasn't about redistricting, but about the year round/traditional options. Many many people LOVE year round, including our family. I am dreading being on traditional in high school. Keep an open mind about year round. If you have specific questions about year round, let us know.

As far as the word on the street about schools from my perspective...For elementary schools, Jones Dairy and Heritage Elementary have the best reputation and are most sought after. Both of these are year round. Wake Forest Elementary, which I have heard good things about, is traditional. Some Wake Forest addresses are sent to Rolesville Elementary and North Forest Pines/Forest Pines which is in Wakefield. Although these schools have a Raleigh address they are actually very close to Wake Forest and that area really should have been zoned as Wake Forest, so don't be scared by that. North Forest Pines and Forest Pines are both great school. Rolesville's reputation has been increasing in the past few years as Rolesville as grown. The only school that is currently capped in Wake Forest is Heritage High school, so that isn't something you need to worry about. I have heard pretty mixed opinions on Wakefield Elementary so that is something to consider. The other school in the area for elementary school is Sanford Creek. I haven't heard anything bad from Sanford Creek.

I absolutely LOVE Wake Forest. It is a great place to raise kids and has a true community feel to it. I can be downtown in less than 30 minutes or in Durham in about the same amount of time. There is a lot of shopping in the area or in North Raleigh so you don't have to leave the area for much.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:38 AM

494 posts, read 815,864 times
As Vicki pointed out above, Wake Forest is in three counties, Wake, Franklin and Granville. The houses in Wake Forest (Wake County) generally don't have large amounts of land although there are some as you go out a little further in the Purnell Rd area.

To add onto Jennifer's list of schools, there is also Richland Creek Elementary(Wake Forest), that opened three years ago and is now at its new campus. It opened at a temporary location while the school was being built. (Forest Pines also began at the same temporary location before moving to its campus many years ago) Richland Creek is on the traditional calendar schedule. Pleasant Union Elementary(Raleigh) is another school that is on a year round calendar.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:47 AM

34 posts, read 90,810 times
Thank you guys soooooo much for your input! I really will consider the Wake CO schools in a much different light, and I'll take a good look at the YR option as well. Everyone explaining how it works really helped me understand it. Thanks again.

As far as the homes, I seriously see several in Wake CO that are in Wake Forest for sale in and around my price range of around $320k. I'm going to list a few and see what yall think because several people have mentioned I can't find what I am looking for there and now I am wondering if they aren't where I think;

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...15-28001?row=1

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...57-32184?row=3

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...70-80656?row=4

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0-36742?row=11

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...6-99059?row=14

Old 03-20-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenspott07 View Post
Hi Jamie-

I just moved to Clayton from Murfreesboro, TN at the end of February, so not too far from Franklin! We also looked into moving to Wake Forest and ultimately decided we did not want to deal with the complexity of the Wake County school system. We have a second grader and I didn't want to have to figure all that out at the end of the school year when my best options would probably be capped. I have heard great things about that area though. We are loving Clayton and the school my son attends here, so if you have any questions feel free to message me.
That's awesome that you moved from around here to Clayton! What do you think about Clayton as far as it's safety? I think because of the commute we might have Wake Forest and Clayton tied. WF would be closer, but I like the idea of a smaller, quiet town as like Clayton. Plus we can afford something nice in Clayton.

Does Clayton remind you of Nolensville? Or any other areas around here in TN? Where do you go for grocery shopping or TJ Max and stuff like that?

Old 03-20-2015, 12:46 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Those stats you read cite 2006 and 2007, almost 10 years ago and pre-recession. A lot has changed since then; we still have the issue of a huge school district of 150K+ run by only a 9-person School Board, but a lot of the reassignment woes have been worked out. Especially in somewhere on the edge of the district like WF, it's not as if they're going to move you to Apex for a school.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:12 PM

494 posts, read 815,864 times
Jamie, those houses you posted were in the area I was trying to describe. They are north of 98. Those houses are more in a country setting with the larger lots and typically have well water and septic systems.

Hope you find a place you like.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:52 PM

342 posts, read 387,831 times
The last two are actually in a different area of Wake Forest than the rest. They are off Rogers road near Heritage. One goes to Sanford Creek and the other to Jones Dairy. Jones Dairy definitely has a better reputation than Sanford Creek, but I have heard solid things about Sanford Creek. One of these houses also tracks you into the Rolesville Middle and High School tracks as well. Clear Springs is a nice neighborhood because it has good size lots but is near the amenities of Heritage and also has easy access to 540 by going down 401.

Of the first three, the first and third are in an area that I am always surprised is zoned Wake Forest since it's near Six Forks and 98. If you live there, you will most likely end up feeling like you live in North Raleigh than Wake Forest since shopping/dining is closer to you in North Raleigh from that location. Those houses send you to a North Raleigh School (Pleasant Union). It's a nice area, but I have always thought that that area was pretty far out their since it's not really close to WF or NR. However, it is very near Falls Lake if that's important to you. It's a beautiful area.

The second one is off Thompson Mill north of 98 near the Granville line, but still in Wake County. Chauncy is a nice neighborhood. You will most likely do your shopping, etc from that house in Wake Forest. I used to live in that area and enjoyed it. You are about 8 minutes or so from Target in that area. The school you are zoned for is a bit of a hike from that house for Elementary School since you are North Forest Pines/Forest Pines.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferg72nc View Post
The last two are actually in a different area of Wake Forest than the rest. They are off Rogers road near Heritage. One goes to Sanford Creek and the other to Jones Dairy. Jones Dairy definitely has a better reputation than Sanford Creek, but I have heard solid things about Sanford Creek. One of these houses also tracks you into the Rolesville Middle and High School tracks as well. Clear Springs is a nice neighborhood because it has good size lots but is near the amenities of Heritage and also has easy access to 540 by going down 401.

Of the first three, the first and third are in an area that I am always surprised is zoned Wake Forest since it's near Six Forks and 98. If you live there, you will most likely end up feeling like you live in North Raleigh than Wake Forest since shopping/dining is closer to you in North Raleigh from that location. Those houses send you to a North Raleigh School (Pleasant Union). It's a nice area, but I have always thought that that area was pretty far out their since it's not really close to WF or NR. However, it is very near Falls Lake if that's important to you. It's a beautiful area.

The second one is off Thompson Mill north of 98 near the Granville line, but still in Wake County. Chauncy is a nice neighborhood. You will most likely do your shopping, etc from that house in Wake Forest. I used to live in that area and enjoyed it. You are about 8 minutes or so from Target in that area. The school you are zoned for is a bit of a hike from that house for Elementary School since you are North Forest Pines/Forest Pines.
Wow, thanks for really taking a look at those houses and telling me about the locations, that was all great information. Since that general area some of those houses are in has been described as being out there a little, is there anything wrong with being that far out? I kind of like the quieter, more private lots and to be a little away from it all, while still being 10-15 away from shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary