Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 06:58 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I guess "small scale" is relative. Over 1000 students (~1/2 were athletes) over more than a decade doesn't seem that small to me.
Well, that's 500 non athletes out of what, a quarter million students that passed through in 10 years? I tend to discount the athletes, frankly. I think the reality today is that few of them are real students anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 08:51 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
I infer that the "Carolina" is for the school, and not the state.

It's very entertaining to see some who will jump to defend what occurred unabated there for 20+ years.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:08 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

It's very entertaining to see some who will jump to defend what occurred unabated there for 20+ years.
Nobody defends the actions for which the sanctions have been placed.

But defend the University as a whole? Absolutely. To say that ones son decided not to transfer and thus staid at a "legitimate" school is beyond ridiculous. To claim that UNC is not a good school or inferior to other public universities in the state because of the AFAM paper classes equally ridiculous.

I hope it doesn't "fade from memory" as barely a blip on the radar either; that would mean nobody learned anything from the mistakes that were made.

But UNC is, always has been, and will continue to be a justifiably highly regarded University. No matter how badly NC State fans and alum wish that weren't true.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

Not sure who are asking...if its me, the "carolina" in my screen name is for the state. I did not attend UNC, and am not a big fan, athletically. I actually attended the U of Georgia (thus the "dawg" in my screen name).

TarHeelNick perfectly captured my opinion on this.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:53 AM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Well, that's 500 non athletes out of what, a quarter million students that passed through in 10 years? I tend to discount the athletes, frankly. I think the reality today is that few of them are real students anyway.
"...a quarter million...?"

Does a 4 year academic career register as 4 students? (Admittedly, this is an OT quibble on my part. )
But, it is truly sad that so many major universities sell their souls for sports money with fervent alumni support. And, surely, Carolina is far from alone in this philosophy and practice.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"...a quarter million...?"

Does a 4 year academic career register as 4 students? (Admittedly, this is an OT quibble on my part. )
But, it is truly sad that so many major universities sell their souls for sports money with fervent alumni support. And, surely, Carolina is far from alone in this philosophy and practice.
What number would like to use? 62,500? That still a tiny percentage, and really does very little to tarnish the overall reputation of the school. Unless one can't be objective or dispassionate about it.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:22 AM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
What number would like to use? 62,500? That still a tiny percentage, and really does very little to tarnish the overall reputation of the school. Unless one can't be objective or dispassionate about it.
The philosophy and practice and blind eye from the top down are really more cogent than dilution of the discussion with inflated numbers.

I'm not passionate at all about it. I have no attachment to the school whatsoever, and that helps me be objective.
The sports/academia complex uses young people to enrich the few across the country, with "wink-wink" from far too many "educators."

Old 06-12-2015, 05:23 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
Quote:
UNC received a one-year probation from the SACS Commission on Colleges for academic fraud, with only having the university be discredited being a worse possible punishment. That does tarnish the reputation of the school.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:33 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
UNC received a one-year probation from the SACS Commission on Colleges for academic fraud, with only having the university be discredited being a worse possible punishment. That does tarnish the reputation of the school.
It is very sad that the UNC-Chapel Hill Athletic Department has tarnished the academic reputation of this great University. Big sports $$$$ has blinded UNC BOG and all should be replaced. These young athletes are just pawns for big Universities to rake in huge funds. Salaries paid for big name coaches is out of control.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:10 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,916 times
Except every comprehensive investigation done on the scandal concluded that it was an academic scandal that bled into athletics and not vice versa. Don't let that cramp your narrative though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary