Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 02:20 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Do people in the area not like transplants or something? I don't know, I actually did my research and completely forgot about those "Best Places" rankings when I was considering NC/Raleigh. I'm moving to NC because that's where I want to live.
Northern Virginia, which also is a haven for transplants, does not have the negativity toward transplants on its C-D board that is evident so often on this board. It makes this board an unwelcome place to visit. Fortunately, I do not find people I meet in real life in the Triangle to be as unwelcome to newcomers, particularly Northerners, as they are on here.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:38 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Northern Virginia, which also is a haven for transplants, does not have the negativity toward transplants on its C-D board that is evident so often on this board. It makes this board an unwelcome place to visit. Fortunately, I do not find people I meet in real life in the Triangle to be as unwelcome to newcomers, particularly Northerners, as they are on here.
Well stated, and true.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:38 PM

5,155 posts, read 3,762,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
When I hear people paying $10,000-$15,000+ a year on property taxes for a regular person's kind of house (i.e. non mansion), it's just bewildering. While I know the schools are much better funded in the NE than here in NC (especially with the current myopic legislature), I just have to wonder...How did the property taxes get that far out of hand and out of line with most places in the US???!!

Some parts of the US are going to more expensive than others, yes, but to that extent?? What gives?

It's also a chilling warning and should be a wake up call that if left unchecked, NC could creep up towards that level. While we're noticeably cheaper than NJ and NY in terms of tax burden, NC has been creeping upwards, from a lower than average taxed state years ago, to an average, and to now, a state that's trending repeatedly worse to become more and more worse than average (high income tax, medium property taxes depending on the locality, relatively high gasoline tax) when it comes to tax burdens, with de-funded education, coal ash and other blunders (to say the least) to show for it. Hope we don't have to start fleeing for the hills of Tennessee or South Carolina or another lower cost state like people from NY and NJ have done to come here. I can't say I blame them; especially when it's such a struggle to survive when your tax burden is such a disproportionate amount of your income, especially if that income is modest to begin with.

And now, what's worse, is that despite the promises coming from the current legislature about how income taxes are being reduced (with supposedly lower income tax rates), people are being nickled and dimed over their state deductions and the tax system is more regressive than it was before and local governments are raising taxes/fees to make up for shortfalls.

The situation is actually worse in the rural and economically depressed areas of the state outside of the Triangle, with high demands for service, but the lack of expensive homes and large revenue generators that places like Cary, Chapel Hill, and really much of the Triangle have to fall back on to spread the tax burden more reasonably.

Schools in NJ are the main reason property taxes are so high. Each school has a principal and a vice principal most make well into 6 figures to say nothing of the retirement packages. It is lower now than it was in the past however a friend of mine who taught 35 years retired at 58 full medical and over $1000 a week pension for life.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:51 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
Quote:
Do people in the area not like transplants or something? I don't know, I actually did my research and completely forgot about those "Best Places" rankings when I was considering NC/Raleigh. I'm moving to NC because that's where I want to live.
I've never lived out of NC born in the east lived in the mountains and now live in the triangle

I think our biggest anxiety is the new englanders will carry their high COLs with them.

There is heavy native culture bashing from the urbanites and I think a general lack of understanding or appreciation for natives. Maybe a perception that our state is just a low COL place they can take advantage of

They lack some of the cultural touchstones of the states history. Probably don't know anything about Andy Griffith or Billy Graham or don't understand why they are seen as native sons in the first place. Maybe because we're stupid. Of course many millennial north carolinian's might not get it either.

As the city evolves and the rat race grows there is some pining for when the pace of life was even...slower

don't like to go fishing

Old 06-17-2015, 02:59 PM

606 posts, read 903,779 times
Quote:
Do people in the area not like transplants or something?
This board has transplants complaining about transplants. It's unique. People are friendly in the real world though.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:20 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
This board has transplants complaining about transplants. It's unique. People are friendly in the real world though.
LOL
Yep. And, Yep.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:32 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
My honest question, and I'm not trying to sound rude, but why North Carolina? Why not Virginia? Richmond is a nice area, not quite as humid and not as far from the Northeast. Is it just cheaper here? Or easier to find work? What about South Carolina?
Well, there's the South and then there's the Antebellum South. Culture shock isn't quite as traumatic here.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:34 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Interesting, thanks.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:23 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
They don't. But if it helps, it's usually only spoken on this forum and in person people will just pretend to be ok with it. I mean I guess that's a plus, unless you were thinking of moving here and felt unwelcome as you rightfully do based on what you're reading here.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:28 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
I mean here are the facts

1. There is a coherent demographic shift from there to here

2. That demographic didn't like things about where they were but it stands to be asked if they are just going to just bring those problems here

Look at south Florida perfect example. That was culturally annihilated. Yes there was a culture there before it became heavens waiting room.

It's challenging and worth discussion. How can we create a bright future together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary