Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 04:07 PM

72 posts, read 91,056 times

Advertisements

Oh lord. This thread has kept me from losing my mind today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 04:22 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,165,745 times
I wish I could find the list of repairs from the sale of our house 9 years ago. The inspector made a list of about 90 items that they felt needed attention or to be pointed out during his inspection. It was several pages long, many of the items described in detail, such as nails or screws not secured in deck board 4, counting from the back wall of the house. I knocked out about 35 items with a hammer or cordless drill. Basically the buyer and her realtor sent the inspectors entire list and said "we want it all". And like I said earlier, some were nothing more than a nail on the roof that was sticking up .25". There were several items that I couldn't figure out what the inspector was talking about, and my wife and I looked at said item for a while trying to figure out what was wrong before scratching it off the list. My only real gripe was the morning of closing, the realtor called in a panic, demanding that I get the garage door opener replaced immediately. They had gone for the final walkthrough and the door didn't want to open. They were in full-on panic mode.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:19 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Another fave is buyers who want the GFIs replaced when they intend to gut the kitchen ASAP.

What fun!
Yeah. They can do that themselves.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
But that will save them $50 on a $20,000 job. Slightly better door pulls FTW!
What? Everyone doesn't demand those?

Old 08-06-2015, 05:50 AM

703 posts, read 780,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I understand the inspector's job is to point out all issues, whether big or small.

I don't understand the buyer wanting to ask for EVERY LITTLE ITEM on the list.
I think this is a matter of a buyer simply not knowing any better and thinking that if it's in the report, then it needs to be fixed. Had they ever been a seller before, they'd likely be a whole lot more realistic. The buyer's agent needs to be a better coach.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:56 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
I think this is a matter of a buyer simply not knowing any better and thinking that if it's in the report, then it needs to be fixed. Had they ever been a seller before, they'd likely be a whole lot more realistic. The buyer's agent needs to be a better coach.
Regardless of the coaching, an agent is bound to follow legal instruction of the client.
And, it is quite legal to request all repairs, and even to make up a few.

Another favorite by a known idiot inspector, and a structural issue that the buyer requested be remedied:
"Loose toilet seat--needs to be secured to the bowl."
Seriously.
I was just glad they didn't ask for a structural engineer's assessment and repair letter.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Regardless of the coaching, an agent is bound to follow legal instruction of the client.
And, it is quite legal to request all repairs, and even to make up a few.

Another favorite by a known idiot inspector, and a structural issue that the buyer requested be remedied:
"Loose toilet seat--needs to be secured to the bowl."
Seriously.
I was just glad they didn't ask for a structural engineer's assessment and repair letter.
LOL.

That may be a winner.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:00 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
how about a closet door striker plate not "fully latching"?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:02 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
but now we're off-topic.

I sold one house recently because the Seller and their agent chose to not do enough research to find out that the home WOULDN'T require flood insurance. Saved my buyer 10's of thousands, as the house had sat for about 60 days.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:06 AM

72 posts, read 91,056 times
I don't know how off-topic it is, really. A co-worker is trying to sell his house, and his buyer demanded his new Samsung refrigerator. It was made clear (I'm told) that the fridge did NOT convey because it's something like two months old. Seller didn't include the fridge, and he had already negotiated the price to the point where cutting another $2K didn't make sense. Bottom line: Buyer walked, house is still on the market. Should my co-worker have sucked it up and included the fridge? Probably so, but from what I understand, he had given up a LOT already in terms of list price.

I think entitled buyers can cause houses to sit for longer than expected. Our current buyer has ordered six separate inspections and wants every assurance that we'll repair anything that comes up.

(This is the buyer who handed back the general inspection with "fix everything." We haven't even been able to negotiate repairs yet because we're waiting on fire safety, septic, HVAC, flooring, landscaping, etc., inspections.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary