Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 08:27 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times

Advertisements

Not my experience at all. Nobody asks me about religion. We are not religious for the record. My kids did not go to a religious preschool nor did I have any trouble finding one (many!) that were not affiliated with a church. I do know a couple of kids who go to The Lerner Jewish Day school, though. I never in my life have heard about a fitness group affiliated with a church (really!)and I've lived in NC almost all my life. I have definitely heard "have a blessed day" more times than I can count, but I've also heard that in a pagan or wiccan way ("blessed-be").

As far as a two mom family, I know several. I don't think religious scorn is an issue for them that I have heard about, but there are jerks everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 08:46 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Definitely stick to more urban areas as mentioned. Most of wake, Durham and orange counties it will not be an issue at all. But keep in mind that while there is acceptance here, there are plenty of backwards rural counties elsewhere in the state where they won't feel,the same way and they have some power in our legislature.

The last time someone asked me about church was at least 15 years ago. I also have no problem just cutting them off and telling them I am not interested.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:12 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Like others said, total non issue in most areas here. Especially where I live in Durham. My mother once visited and was shocked that there are so many baptist churches and so few catholic churches (where we lived, it's the reverse), but I've found zero pressure here. Contrast that with Wilmington, where the pastor down the street frequently tried to lure me to his church, but in a friendly way

Old 09-17-2015, 05:30 AM

27 posts, read 44,339 times
Definitely Every day I hear someone native to North Carolina mention their religion to me. It is really obvious that this is the Bible Belt. Just drive around and you will find many huge mega churches and their enormous parking lots are filled to overflowing on Sundays and often weekdays!

Church is the ever- present social phenomenon here in the Triangle among the locals and a huge number of transplants.

I've only met a rare few people who can have a conversation without mentioning "my church" in one way or another.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:05 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraVega View Post
I guess I will be the detractor here and say that the level of religiosity in the area was something that bothered me (I just moved away... not for that reason though, it wasn't that bad, ha!). It wasn't that people were super pushy or judgmental. It was more so that many aspects of people's lives seemed to center on their church, and it was usually taken for granted that you were Christian too. For example, most local preschools are church-based, most parents had their kids in Christian activities, social lives revolved around people from church, etc. And then there were things such as hearing about a fitness group (or book club, or mom's group, or whatever)... and then the person finally mentioning that it's church-oriented. I didn't find most strangers to be obnoxious about it, but I also gotta say I'm not a fan of being told to "have a blessed day" by the clerks at the grocery store. There were also several times I went to the website of a local business and was surprised to see religious writings or Christian-based mission statements (had this happen with a swim school, consignment sale, and some sort of construction contractor); not that that is a deal-breaker, but seemed really weird to me.

All in all, it wasn't terrible as far as religion went, but it was a very different atmosphere than I grew up with and one that at times made me uncomfortable.
Other than stating that the degree of religion bothers me (because it doesn't), I could have written this very post. Religion (and by religion I really mean Christianity) is pervasive around the Triangle but ironically unobtrusive for the non believers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post
Been here 11 years and have never been asked once about anything religious. Every major religion in the world has some representation here, which probably decreases the chance of being asked further because nobody will know what, if any religion you subscribe to.
Me neither, in my eight plus years living in the Triangle.

Generally speaking, living here will reveal that this is part of the Bible Belt, though certainly not its buckle. I've personally always liked being surrounded by the faithful (I'm casually religious but enjoy what I do practice) and while I still recoil a bit upon being wished a "blessed day", recall all too easily the much less civilized things said to me while living in New York City. This is a tolerant place to live and not being religious will reveal itself to be a non-issue.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:52 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianmama View Post
Definitely Every day I hear someone native to North Carolina mention their religion to me. It is really obvious that this is the Bible Belt. Just drive around and you will find many huge mega churches and their enormous parking lots are filled to overflowing on Sundays and often weekdays!

Church is the ever- present social phenomenon here in the Triangle among the locals and a huge number of transplants.

I've only met a rare few people who can have a conversation without mentioning "my church" in one way or another.
Where do you live? That's certainly not my experience in Cary and Morrisville the last decade, plus.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:29 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
I cannot recall ever being asked which church I attend. I think I kind of recall someone asking me if I was a Christian before, but I'm not 100% positive that has ever happened.

I grew up with divorced parents and neither of them were much for church, even though they both attended as kids.

I am not bothered by other people being religious, though.

Being told to have a blessed day does not offend me. Nor would being greeted in a manner invoking religion by a Jewish or Muslim individual, for example.

I just say "thank you" and keep on trucking.

I would hazard a guess that people who bristle at being told "Merry Christmas" probably get asked about religion more often than people who do not.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:33 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I cannot recall ever being asked which church I attend. I think I kind of recall someone asking me if I was a Christian before, but I'm not 100% positive that has ever happened.

I grew up with divorced parents and neither of them were much for church, even though they both attended as kids.

I am not bothered by other people being religious, though.

Being told to have a blessed day does not offend me. Nor would being greeted in a manner invoking religion by a Jewish or Muslim individual, for example.

I just say "thank you" and keep on trucking.

I would hazard a guess that people who bristle at being told "Merry Christmas" probably get asked about religion more often than people who do not.

I get more agitated when I see people say, "I could care less," than I do over sincere good wishes.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:34 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

I get more agitated when I see people say, "I could care less," than I do over sincere good wishes.
But...what if they really COULD?

Old 09-17-2015, 07:42 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
But...what if they really COULD?
Hmmmm.

I'll have to get back to you on that, if you really care...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary