Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 02:05 PM

236 posts, read 186,663 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a colleague who said his townhouse back home in another state that he still owns was detached -- no part of the structure touching another home -- I always thought that made it a single family home and not a TH.

Is my definition wrong? Either in local real estate jargon or otherwise? A bit of on line definition searching seems to indicate his usage is correct, that a TH can be detached. The term usually refers to attached, but this in itself is not the definition of a TH.

I'm now second guessing my understanding of what people mean when they talk locally of town homes. Not looking for the definition of TH vs condo, that has been explained well in the past I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 02:09 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
"Townhome" is not a specific designation, but more of a marketing/style designation. Yes, they are usually attached.

Both Townhomes and detached homes can be Single Family Homes. And, they can be Condos. We have several complexes where units for sale are advertised as "Townhome Style Condos."

Locally, generally when you say "Townhomes," you are commonly talking about a unit that is attached to other unit(s), and title includes the structure and the lot.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:05 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,032,221 times
I've been to a townhouse that wasn't exactly sided against another. They were connected by the storage shed/closet in the back. If someone told me they had a townhouse that wasn't touching another one I'd assume it was possibly the same set-up. I've only seen this once on the Durham side of Brier Creek.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:21 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
There are condos near me that are not attached. They are tall and skinny and on separate small lots, but they're called condos.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:25 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
There are condos near me that are not attached. They are tall and skinny and on separate small lots, but they're called condos.
Do the lots convey with the units? That would not be a condo.
"Condominium" unlike "Townhome" has a specific meaning, and the dirt is all common area.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:28 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I've been to a townhouse that wasn't exactly sided against another. They were connected by the storage shed/closet in the back. If someone told me they had a townhouse that wasn't touching another one I'd assume it was possibly the same set-up. I've only seen this once on the Durham side of Brier Creek.
Centex built a bunch of those...some were in Heritage, Wake Forest and some were in Harrington Pointe, North Raleigh. There were others but those are the only ones I can think of...long day!

Old 09-25-2015, 03:34 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
there are many examples of townhomes where they are minimally attached (storage closet) but locally, our verbiage is townhouse for any attached structure that includes some land.

As noted there are townhouse-like condos ... you can "walk out your front door an hit dirt and nobody lives above or below you" ... like Cameron Village, they are 2-5 in a row.

I am not aware of any CONDOS that are fully detached from any other structure though

Old 09-25-2015, 03:36 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,992,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I am not aware of any CONDOS that are fully detached from any other structure though
I've seen that before, although not in NC. Some friends of mine live in a nice house in Mass. that's really a "condo" because they don't own or care for the land or the grounds. I think it's some sort of development for older people.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:09 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
there are several places where the HOA covers all exterior lawncare, etc (maybe even exterior maintenance). The Del Webb 55+s are single family homes.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:18 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
These are just 5 or 6 units that are detached. I guess the rental company does the lawn care? I don't know. I have seen when they've turned over and gone up on the MLS and they are called condos then. I would have thought townhouses myself or just SFHs. They're townhouse shaped, two story, tall and skinny, probably 2 bedrooms up and living/kitchen down I'd guess. They don't have a neighborhood/complex name as far as I know and are probably mostly student rentals.

Just looked through some old listings and sometimes they're called condos/townhomes. They're just kinda weird little grad student rentals. Chapel Hill and Carrboro are full of those.

Last edited by poppydog; 09-25-2015 at 04:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary