Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 10:50 AM

143 posts, read 485,611 times

Advertisements

While on this topic, how bad are the 'skeeters in the interior areas (i.e., Alamance County)? I've walked outside at night in Clayton and there are none to be found! Very unlike New England, which I think is second only to Minnesota in the ferociousness of its various biting insects!
We looked at lots of houses and screened porches and screens on the windows seem to be optional items. Up here in the damp North, if you go outside from dusk onward, those bad girls will pick you up and take you into the woods to finish you off
I will need to know if I should keep the bug spray in the last box packed -- we land around the first of June in Mebane!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2006, 02:25 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,564,137 times
People keep saying the misquitoes are bad here. I have yet to be bitten. I am from Conn and got eaten alive certain times of the year. I don't know where they are.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:11 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Me neither.... they just not like your house, because I have them all over my heavily wooded yard here. lol. The humid summers=a lot of bugs for central NC. I haven't gone a summer without getting bitten. It's the same all up and down the east coast. I have to say, if you absolutely must move to Wake County, Cary is ironically the most "established" town in the county. Even though it is the most "yankeefied" it has annexed itself into all of the other towns around it and therefore building has slowed and somewhat of a community has formed. Most of the other towns around it, while still pretty "southern" are also building up a storm and there is no real community in those areas.

Last edited by just_sayin'; 04-24-2006 at 06:16 PM..

Old 04-24-2006, 09:56 PM

17 posts, read 66,566 times
does asheville have alot of bugs and hows the weather in this area(humidity).could any one answer a question about the schools.Is the area mostly country ?how long is it to any stores?

Old 04-24-2006, 11:19 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
I've lived in the area off and on for over the past 40 years. and I haven't noticed any discomfort with insects or humidity in the Asheville area.

Shopping is not a problem. If I can't find what I need in my little town 25 miles from Asheville, I've always been able to find it in the city which is an easy drive away. The area is mostly rural but not isolated. Population density of Buncombe County is around 315 persons per square mile. In comparison, Wake County is around 755 per square mile.

Don't know much about public schools in the area but the University of North Carolina has a campus here along with private boarding schools that have been in operation for over 50 years. They also accept day students.

Sixty years ago, the Asheville area was mostly noted for many fine private boarding schools, summer homes of the low-landers, children's summer camps and a healthy climate for those with chronic respiratory disease. It is much more metropolitan now and has all the common amenities associated with more heavily populated areas.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-24-2006 at 11:29 PM..

Old 03-17-2009, 08:36 AM

41 posts, read 229,200 times
Ok this is my take on the area, I moved here from Long Island, NY, in 1980 to attend college. I came here because I was fed up of commuting to my college in the city and standing on cold platforms in the chilling winter wind. I graduated from NCSU and thought about moving away. My husband and I looked everywhere for a suitable place, considering job, weather , recreation, medical facility housing, schools, and lifestyles. After looking around we ultimately came back to the Raleigh /Cary area. Moving to Cary area is a no brainer. There are very few negatives here. You only need to come and look. We have great weather, we have 4 seasons, we do get just enough snow and cold weather to enjoy the fireplace, but not enough to t adversely effect you with a heating bill that you cannot afford. Summers are humid but then you can stay indoors and not any more humid than the late summer days on Long Island. You will find an easy lifestyle here with out much hassle.
I grew up in NE Philly and Queens/ Long Island NY. and can say its very close to an ideal life here in all respects.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:42 AM

11 posts, read 25,665 times
Why reply to a post after 3 YEARS?And what is the post about??I am a bit lost here

Old 03-17-2009, 08:58 AM

577 posts, read 1,902,175 times
LOL,,,Read the reply, she just plugged a realestate ad......just needs some palm trees and cabana boys in the back ground...Buyer beware ,,

Old 03-17-2009, 09:07 AM

11 posts, read 25,665 times
Yeah....I got the ad part but really...

Old 03-17-2009, 09:28 AM

41 posts, read 229,200 times
People are still interested to know why they should move to the Cary area, the reasons for moving to this area have not changed, nor has the reason I moved here has changed. You are still reading this thread as well as the person after you. As far as ads there are none.
I grant it Cary has gotten a bit more crowded in the last 10 years, but its still a better place in respect to all the points I made. We have clean streets and not many potholes, for sure. NC Man you need to be in Florida if your looking for palm trees and cabana boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary