Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 06:31 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,211,633 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow at 6PM I'm dropping my teens at a bookstore in Fearington Village for a book signing. The last one they went to was hours long. This time I will have my little guy with me. I've never been to Pittsboro.
Is there anything around there to do for a few hours that would be open in the evening. I have to stay close to the bookstore since they'll be calling when they are finished.

My son is almost 9, but developmentally is closer to 3 or 4 (Down syndrome). He has a very short attention span and doesn't like crowds. His favorite places to go are Marbles and McDonalds (yuck to me). He doesnt care for parks unless there are very few kids there-and that would be weather dependent.
Maybe even just a Target or something CLOSE.
I don't know the area at all, so any input would be great.
Thank!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 06:56 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,242,473 times
Carolina Tiger Rescue - I believe they have twilight tours on weekends.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:57 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,159,493 times
You might be better off going the other direction up 15-501 toward Chapel Hill. It's about the same distance and lots to see and hear while walking around. Pittsboro is a small town with only some local restaurants open at that time. Nothing realy for young ones.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:12 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,369,428 times
I doubt the book signing at McIntyre's will be that long. It's a great little book store, but out of the way. Who's the author?

If your little guy likes animals he might like to just like to stroll around Fearrington. It's a very park-like setting with Belted Galloway Cows (white in the middle like Oreos) and Belted Goats, too. The kids' section at McIntyre's is fun for a little bit, too.

Not too much else right at Fearrington that I can remember. It's possible there's a little playground somewhere there. I know they have tennis courts, but I can't recall seeing play equipment.

Pretty sure there's a playground across the way at Briar Chapel. That would be the closest. If it's 6pm it will be dark, though.

No Target, no McDonald's. You could go to WalMart if you're really jonesing for a big box store.

Maybe michgc will have some suggestions for stuff to do around Southern Village on a Saturday evening?

Last edited by poppydog; 11-06-2015 at 07:22 AM..

Old 11-06-2015, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.
Poppy, I don't know the author-she's some You-tuber that makes cute baked goods. The last time I tool them to a Youtuber's book signing, we were there for 3 hours, but it was find because DH stayed home with the little buy, but DH will be at work, so there is no other option.

Tiger rescue is out-closed for the season and no little ones for twilight tours.

BTW-NEVER jonesing for a big box store, it's just somewhere to pass the time if we get desperate.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:37 AM

25 posts, read 35,835 times
Difficult timing ! A couple of hours earlier, there would be stores open in Pittsboro (tho perhaps a bit more suitable for older kids). And a bit earlier in the year it would be light, so walking around Fearrington would be an option. Or in a years time when the first phase of commercial Development at Briar Chapel is open

How about S&T Soda Shop in Pittsboro ? Or Highway 55 as it's a burger chain but not McDonalds.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:56 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,814,412 times
If you head south on 15-501 from Fearrington Village towards Pittsboro:

--you will hit a McDonald's and Taco Bell that are on the left next to the Lowe's Home Improvement. It's a straight shot down 15-501 and no more than 10 minutes away.

--If you want to continue on that drive you will hit downtown Pittsboro which is small but quaint. If it's not raining you could walk around for a bit around there, and right in the heart of downtown there is an old-time soda shop (it's on the right when heading south on 15-501). It's called S&T and it looks like they are open until 7:30 PM. There is also a Hardees on East Street.

--Just past downtown Pittsboro there is a park that we really like that is never crowded. It's called Rock Ridge. But as someone mentioned, it will be dark. I don't know (and doubt) if they have lights. But just in case you go, it's on Old Sanford Road. (Go straight down 15-501 past the downtown and make a right on Old Sanford Rd. Park will be a little ways down on your left).

If you to head north on 115-501 towards Chapel Hill:

--you will see a Harris Teeter shopping center on your right (nothing good in there for him)

--about another mile or so farther up 15-501, you will see a Lowe's Food shopping center that has a decent pizza place in it, if he likes pizza (Village Pizza and Pasta). And there is a CVS. Also adjacent is a shopping center with a new Dollar Tree if that holds any interest (sadly the Chatham PTA Thrift will be closed at that time - I know you like thrift stores1)

--Keep heading north on 15-501 and you will hit a large Wal-Mart on your right. It has a Subway inside. It's only 2 years old, so it's a pretty nice Wal-Mart as far as Wal-Marts go. You could definitely kill some time in the toy area there.

--if you keep going north you will hit Southern Village (where I live!). There is a very large park with a walking path, a playground, a roller skate area and some soccer fields. But again, it will be dark by 6 PM. We were there yesterday for soccer and it was definitely dark on the field by 5:45 PM.

--Also in Southern Village is a movie theatre and a frozen yogurt place.

That's about all I can think of - it's not very developed around the Fearrington area.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:01 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,483,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.
Poppy, I don't know the author-she's some You-tuber that makes cute baked goods. The last time I tool them to a Youtuber's book signing, we were there for 3 hours, but it was find because DH stayed home with the little buy, but DH will be at work, so there is no other option.

Tiger rescue is out-closed for the season and no little ones for twilight tours.

BTW-NEVER jonesing for a big box store, it's just somewhere to pass the time if we get desperate.
Her name is Roe and we have a house full of fans. We'll be there, too!

Is it really going to be 3 hours??? I haven't been to one of these things before.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:53 AM

Michgc, thanks-you cracked me up with the thrift store comment!

I wish is was earlier. the little guy doesn't like the dark, and so many things close so early.

Pegotty, I HOPE it isn't 3 hours, but the one a few months ago in Raleigh was. I couldn't believe the amount of people!

Old 11-07-2015, 01:58 PM

17 posts, read 66,841 times
Well, with almost 5 million YouTube followers - there's probably likely to be a line. I think I saw in Forbes that she makes something like $2.5 million per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary