Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 02:56 PM

663 posts, read 1,618,610 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by gcretro
I recently refinanced in October and have the appraisal from that. It was 295k. While wake county has 312k. Is it worth appealing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
Yes. Depending on where you live, that is probably about $1300 difference in taxes over the next 8 years.
----

So my home is in Morrisville @ kittscreek. Home is 2006 built. Previous wake county value was 318K, reduced to 312k now. Wondering if I should still appeal based on my appraisal of 295k?

Few newbie questions:
1. How does one go about appealing?
2. What data should I present other than my appraisal from Oct 2015.
3. Any down sides to appealing? And much time should I expect to spend after I submit the appeal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 03:01 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
In Wake County, an appeal form came in the mail with the new tax notification. I got mine last week. You are given 30 days to appeal. And you can send in a recent appraisal, but I don't know if that means they will use that exact value. The Wake Co. number includes a lot of stuff the appraiser might have not known about relative to the location of the property.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:32 AM

252 posts, read 275,667 times
In Holly Springs we bought our house in June 2015, appraised value was $258,500 and the Wake assessment came in at $260,592. I don't think I have a leg to stand on if I appeal, since the numbers are so close.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:03 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,814,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmith713 View Post
In Holly Springs we bought our house in June 2015, appraised value was $258,500 and the Wake assessment came in at $260,592. I don't think I have a leg to stand on if I appeal, since the numbers are so close.
You will save around $21 per year if you appeal and get the value adjusted to your purchase price. That $21 is an itemized deduction.

Just skip one trip to Starbucks every 6 weeks. You will save more.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
Originally Posted by gcretro
I recently refinanced in October and have the appraisal from that. It was 295k. While wake county has 312k. Is it worth appealing?

----

So my home is in Morrisville @ kittscreek. Home is 2006 built. Previous wake county value was 318K, reduced to 312k now. Wondering if I should still appeal based on my appraisal of 295k?

Few newbie questions:
1. How does one go about appealing?
2. What data should I present other than my appraisal from Oct 2015.
3. Any down sides to appealing? And much time should I expect to spend after I submit the appeal?
If the rates do not change (and they likely will) you are looking at a savings of $170 per year if you successfully appeal and the value is reset to your appraisal value.

It is entirely possible that the rates will adjust slightly downward and reduce your tax bill by $170 per year without appealing.

I personally wouldn't pursue that kind of savings. $15 per month in the form of an itemized deduction is insignificant to me. I would wait until the rates are released and reevaluate at that point in time.

Some people will make the argument that tax value has little to do with a sale price, but it is something that definitely comes up in negotiations between buyers and sellers.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:09 AM

252 posts, read 275,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
You will save around $21 per year if you appeal and get the value adjusted to your purchase price. That $21 is an itemized deduction.

Just skip one trip to Starbucks every 6 weeks. You will save more.
When I go to Starbucks I get a venti pike and it runs about $2.15. Just giving you a hard time, thanks for your response.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:10 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
If the rates do not change (and they likely will) you are looking at a savings of $170 per year if you successfully appeal and the value is reset to your appraisal value.

I personally wouldn't pursue that kind of savings. $15 per month in the form of an itemized deduction is insignificant to me.
Yeah, that is on the edge of the bubble, but if a guy has time?

$170/year x 8 = $1360 over 8 years for a few hours work up front.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yeah, that is on the edge of the bubble, but if a guy has time?

$170/year x 8 = $1360 over 8 years for a few hours work up front.
Not trying to minimize the fact that there may be savings as much as I am trying to keep things in perspective.
I also have a hard time with the concept of campaigning for a lower value reference for my home. I might be completely wrong on this, and you can say that tax value is not a driver for a listing/sale price, but it still seems like a questionable strategy unless the savings is way more significant than $170/yr.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:21 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
FYI, they now have a button on the main page linked from page one that will show you your current and past values. I guess they got some feedback or saw such a huge load on the database looking at the old tax bills they figured it was needed. Responsive government at last! Now if they will just get the iMaps app working again.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:28 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Not trying to minimize the fact that there may be savings as much as I am trying to keep things in perspective.
I also have a hard time with the concept of campaigning for a lower value reference for my home. I might be completely wrong on this, and you can say that tax value is not a driver for a listing/sale price, but it still seems like a questionable strategy unless the savings is way more significant than $170/yr.
Well, actually, in 8 years, the county will rebound an appealed value to what they calculate as the current market value.
And, there is creep along the way.

The tax savings is real money. Even though I got my valuation reduced about 8% 8 years ago, I would have been glad to sell at the assessment at any time since, and at the current assessment. But, over that period, I got to keep about $2500 in my pocket.

Low assessment? My spiel: Your buyer is getting a break on the taxes.
But, low SF? I usually recommend an appeal of that at listing time.

You are right though. No matter how hard we work, people still relate irrelevancies like tax assessments and Zestimates to market value. If I plan to sell within a year or so, I would not appeal a tax value, as it may affect my Zestimate.
It's a Crazy World of misinformation out there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary