Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 04:14 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,795,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldoronaldo View Post
Now its 2021.In the covid era, does it makes sense to implement 98 percentile rule? I think its little harsh and the rules must be relaxed.
I don't think Covid should affect their rules. If someone is outside the age range, it is the burden of the parents to show that the kid NEEDS to be in Kindergarten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 04:17 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
It is often a disservice to the child to push even smart kids into an older age group.

The benefit to me was that I got to play ball with the guys a year ahead of me who put better basketball players on the court than the guys a year behind me did, or the rest of my class did.
Academically and socially? Not so much.

Old 07-05-2021, 04:24 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,057,141 times
This subject peaked my curiosity because I started school at the age of 4 back in 1946 in the State of Michigan. Back then you had to be 5 by Dec 1st. Now it's Sept 1st. Also, I learned that kindergarten is not required in MI. Did not know that either. We had a 2 year difference in ages in our class back then.

Old 07-16-2021, 12:16 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
In my day, lots of parents would hold BOYS back a year (I didn't learn this until I saw a roster with everybody's DOB on it in high school--back then we never suspected that knowing somebody's DOB could be used for nefarious purposes, and they were printed in the school directory. I couldn't believe how many guys in the year behind me were older than I was (I have a Sept birthday). I was quite shocked at how many boys were a year older than they "needed" to be, and AFAIK they weren't held back. I believe some parents would rather their son be one of the "bigger boys" in a class than the be one of the younger and possibly picked-on? Also, I wonder if they think about HS sports and the fact that their sons will often be 19 in 12th grade playing against 17-18 YOs?

It never seemed to be the issue with girls (though this was the dark ages). Other than getting driver's licenses earlier/later, another issue that being markedly younger than one's classmates could bring up is puberty. Do girls get teased when they aren't wearing bras or having their period yet? I think gym classes no longer shower together, so a lot of the body differences are easier hidden now than they were when most of us were coming up.

So, it's kind of a crap shoot to know at age 4-5 how your kid is going to mature both physically and socially. It may be best to just follow the deadlines, and if they aqre way advanced for their class, they can skip a grade later (or is that rarer than it used to be, too?)

Old 07-16-2021, 12:37 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
In my day, lots of parents would hold BOYS back a year (I didn't learn this until I saw a roster with everybody's DOB on it in high school--back then we never suspected that knowing somebody's DOB could be used for nefarious purposes, and they were printed in the school directory. I couldn't believe how many guys in the year behind me were older than I was (I have a Sept birthday). I was quite shocked at how many boys were a year older than they "needed" to be, and AFAIK they weren't held back. I believe some parents would rather their son be one of the "bigger boys" in a class than the be one of the younger and possibly picked-on? Also, I wonder if they think about HS sports and the fact that their sons will often be 19 in 12th grade playing against 17-18 YOs?
My Dad (baby boomer) said that a solid 40% of his kindergarten class (of an obnoxiously large class size) was held back, of those most were boys but not all.

Old 07-16-2021, 01:12 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,059,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

It never seemed to be the issue with girls (though this was the dark ages). Other than getting driver's licenses earlier/later, another issue that being markedly younger than one's classmates could bring up is puberty. Do girls get teased when they aren't wearing bras or having their period yet? I think gym classes no longer shower together, so a lot of the body differences are easier hidden now than they were when most of us were coming up.

So, it's kind of a crap shoot to know at age 4-5 how your kid is going to mature both physically and socially. It may be best to just follow the deadlines, and if they aqre way advanced for their class, they can skip a grade later (or is that rarer than it used to be, too?)
My son started K on last Thursday, April Bday, so not close to the cutoff, but we were looking into redshirting him.

Seems there is some psychological concept they refer to as the "Donut" for 5 year old boys; basically boys born April/May - August are maturity wise (sometimes) better off being held whereas girls typically are more than ready at the same age.

This pattern was seen in my kids. My daughter is an end of August baby (will be 7 this August; will be one of the youngest in her grade always) and is more mature than many of her neighborhood guy friends who are a grade or two ahead. My son was just coming out of his "shy shell" last March when COVID hit (3 turning 4) and the world stopping destroyed him. He's a 3 year old socially (especially around adults) with a 5 year old body/intellect.

He'll go public until they boot him...but over my dead body will he step foot in a Thales.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:34 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
This subject peaked my curiosity because I started school at the age of 4 back in 1946 in the State of Michigan. Back then you had to be 5 by Dec 1st. Now it's Sept 1st. Also, I learned that kindergarten is not required in MI. Did not know that either. We had a 2 year difference in ages in our class back then.
I was born in 1966, and there was no K back then.

For a long time, it was Oct 1. Now, it's first day of school, unless our School Board has changed it again.

Old 07-17-2021, 05:39 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

For a long time, it was Oct 1. Now, it's first day of school, unless our School Board has changed it again.
It’s not first day of school. It’s August 31. First day varies from early July to late August.

Old 07-17-2021, 05:44 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,795,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

Where did you grow up that you didn't have Kindergarten? I was born in 1967 and went to Kindergarten in Pennsylvania.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:09 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,059,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Where did you grow up that you didn't have Kindergarten? I was born in 1967 and went to Kindergarten in Pennsylvania.
I was curious about that too. I didn’t know NC didn’t have K as recently as that.

My parents were born in 50 and 54 (Cincy and St Louis) and both went to K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary