Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 10:47 AM

22,677 posts, read 36,826,713 times

Advertisements

Kindergarten is actually optional in a lot of places....you'd be surprised. The law usually says something about the age a chiild must be in school, not what grade they must enter. I've never heard of a place with no access to kindergarten though. That does seem odd. My parents are in their late 80s and from different states and I'm pretty sure they went to kindy. My sister is 65 and went to kindy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 09:08 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,184,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
In my day, lots of parents would hold BOYS back a year (I didn't learn this until I saw a roster with everybody's DOB on it in high school--back then we never suspected that knowing somebody's DOB could be used for nefarious purposes, and they were printed in the school directory. I couldn't believe how many guys in the year behind me were older than I was (I have a Sept birthday). I was quite shocked at how many boys were a year older than they "needed" to be, and AFAIK they weren't held back. I believe some parents would rather their son be one of the "bigger boys" in a class than the be one of the younger and possibly picked-on? Also, I wonder if they think about HS sports and the fact that their sons will often be 19 in 12th grade playing against 17-18 YOs?

It never seemed to be the issue with girls (though this was the dark ages). Other than getting driver's licenses earlier/later, another issue that being markedly younger than one's classmates could bring up is puberty. Do girls get teased when they aren't wearing bras or having their period yet? I think gym classes no longer shower together, so a lot of the body differences are easier hidden now than they were when most of us were coming up.

So, it's kind of a crap shoot to know at age 4-5 how your kid is going to mature both physically and socially. It may be best to just follow the deadlines, and if they aqre way advanced for their class, they can skip a grade later (or is that rarer than it used to be, too?)
I'm a September birthday too, and I wound up entering college at 17 (at least for a few weeks) and it wasn't much of a problem for me other than I wasn't even shaving yet. Then again, I wasn't shaving throughout my teens so it would haven't mattered in terms of physical "maturity" if I was held back. When I was in Kindergarten in California, I think that the cut-off date was Oct. 31st. If I had been held back, I still would have only been 18 for most of my senior year, not 19. I am not sure how you are arriving at that age for kids like us who were sometimes selectively held back.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:57 AM

146 posts, read 139,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Kindergarten is actually optional in a lot of places....you'd be surprised. The law usually says something about the age a chiild must be in school, not what grade they must enter. I've never heard of a place with no access to kindergarten though. That does seem odd. My parents are in their late 80s and from different states and I'm pretty sure they went to kindy. My sister is 65 and went to kindy.
Exactly. In NC you have to be enrolled in school by age 7, but that doesn’t mean you have to start in Kindergarten. Some parents don’t start their kids in Kindergarten, either because they didn’t make the cut-off or they wanted to keep them home another year, and they enter the next year at 1st grade if they have been learning at home. They could feasibly enter at 2nd grade at age 7 if they are on level, although the school may require a placement test.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:26 PM

3 posts, read 1,030 times
We have a due date of 8/31. That makes the WCPSS cut-off by 1 day right?

Old 07-27-2021, 02:26 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,186,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenightwatchman View Post
Yes, you would meet the cut off.

Old 07-27-2021, 08:41 PM

13 posts, read 8,683 times
Yes... But wcpps isn't going to assign your kid to a class based in due date... But his/her actual birthdate. Due date is a rough guess at best.
In any case...
1) Congrats on your upcoming new addition!
2) don't worry about kg cut off dates for now... Lots of road to travel between butter and then.

Eta: our latest was due 9/9/20 but decided to come a few weeks earlier. Turns out.. It's not your or your ob timeline that rules the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenightwatchman View Post

Old 07-28-2021, 07:32 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,105,374 times
My son was due Sept 27 back in 2006 and I thought "Yay - he makes the Oct 16 cut off - but I think that's the year they changed it. I was super bummed at the time, but fast forward 15 years and he's about to start High School and he'll be one of the first to get his drivers license, and be a little more mature etc so it worked out for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary