Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:55 PM

132 posts, read 445,965 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is it very tough to read the street signs here in cary - talking about the cross street names where there is a traffic light.

Are there any plans by town of cary to improve this or just have to adapt and get used to peering real hard or doing u-turns after missing it

Also what is up with the hanging cable based traffic lights - aren't they more riskier during high winds than a horizontal pole based traffic lights ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 02:59 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,494,501 times
actually i think they have great signs. i especially love the ones that tell you what street is coming up next.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:19 PM

169 posts, read 541,100 times
agreed, that is one of the things I really like about Cary the ability to tell what intersection I'm coming up to.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:27 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,086,209 times
I love those orange signs that tell you what street is coming next. I notice those a lot on Cary Parkway.

The traffic lights hanging from wires to me is what I'm used to. I lived in MA where traffic lights on poles was more common. At times it was hard to tell - esp. for an out of towner - to tell which light was yours. I imagine it's cheaper to hang traffic lights on a wire than a pole light. Although I'd think a pole light is more esthetically pleasing so I'm surprised Cary hasn't invested in those.

I think the street signage at major intersections could be better & bigger.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:28 PM

Yes i have seen a few of those - but the lettering is so small to figure out and the approaching street sign is not consistently present for all streets with traffic lights. Have taken a recent DMV eye sight test as well - so there is nothing wrong with my eye sight I think.

At this point i take the correct turns based on my memory of the streets
rather than what the street sign said.

Why don't all the street lights have the name of the cross street right there near the lights in big letters ?

Old 03-11-2008, 03:30 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
I think it's just probably just whatever you are used to. I prefer the hanging street signs over the street signs on posts, which can be difficult to read sometimes. But I like the hanging stoplights better than the lights on the corners. I could easily drive right through one of those and never see it, but mostly because I'm used to looking up for stop lights!

Old 03-11-2008, 04:25 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,758 times
Even in Miami with the hurricanes they have the hanging wire street lights in most places, they seem to sway a lot in storms but are pretty solid.

I find the new pole lights harder to see especially when you get closer to them and are at an angle. Those ones on the side of the road take some time to get used to. They have those in DC and it takes me a while everytime I visit to remember to look next to me and not down the street at the next light.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:21 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,451,543 times
I really like the street signs in Cary, too. I have good eyesight, I guess, so seeing the overhead signs is generally no problem, and I love knowing what streets are ahead of me. Helps me plan those turns, and having to change lanes in anticipation of them. That, and I'm not wondering many times if I've missed my road.

Great planning there, I think.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:52 PM

Obviously something is wrong with me then if most of the folks seem to agree that the signage is good

Let me look for the approaching street signs more carefully - if not i will be compiling a list of some common intersections where I couldn't see the approach sign and maybe you folks can give an idea where to look for it (hoping that none of you work for the DMV to revoke my licence )

Old 03-13-2008, 06:40 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda_jives View Post
Obviously something is wrong with me then if most of the folks seem to agree that the signage is good

Let me look for the approaching street signs more carefully - if not i will be compiling a list of some common intersections where I couldn't see the approach sign and maybe you folks can give an idea where to look for it (hoping that none of you work for the DMV to revoke my licence )
I agree with you!! While I find Cary signage is a bit better than other areas in the Triangle, it's still BAD!!! I was use to the hanging stop lights w/ the hanging street name beside the hanging stop light... all right there over the street in the middle. SO MUCH easier to see and read.

Cary does have signs saying that such and such street is coming up. But I've found they are more visible to the passengers than the driver. Maybe it's because I still look up .... thinking the street names will be in the middle of the street.

I'm sure it's all what we get use to. But I'm having a hard time getting use to the set up here. I personally think that who every is in charge of signs and streets in this state has invested in GPS technology and wants us all to have to rely on a GPS, sending their stock prices through the roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary