Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 03:25 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,661,022 times

Advertisements

I'm in the same demographic as Mcginty74 and I do find that situation to be more or less true, as do other single men here that I know. I don't know why exactly. I've been a member of the Triangle Singles meetup.com group for four years now, and it's sad sometimes to see all of the same people still there who were there when I started. It was a little better when I was in Charlotte, and might be better in some other areas of the state but I really don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 03:53 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,608,065 times
I'm single, childless and 48 - McGinty I can relate to some of what you're saying but I think it's more of a big city/energy thing. I actually run into a lot of people in our situation in meetup groups and my neighborhood has quite a few as well.

I don't totally agree with the sentiment that it's not the place to be if you're single and childless - depends on where you live - small town on the outskirts of the triangle, maybe, but Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill/Hillsborough/Carrboro - it's fine. There are so many transplants here that there are a lot of single and childfree people.

What you said about the hum of Boston - that's the case whether or not you're single or have kids. I get it - I lived in New York, and am not a suburbs person and I live in the suburbs (oops!). I also think that single, childless women are less often viewed as freaks of nature in cities like Boston and NY than they are in smaller cities/towns (sigh) (lol).

You could absolutely find your tribe here being single and childless but it may just be that you'd rather live near a large city again. I get that too!

Then again - consider that housing is more affordable here than NE, and you can afford to travel more.

Try and get more involved in meetups that are centered around specific activities, and there you'll find single people just hanging out (I need to take my own advice; I don't go as often as I should). You may just decide this isn't the place for you - that's fine, then you tried it. I go back and forth on it all the time, myself.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:39 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,505,314 times
Your age. I'm a 24 year old single guy living in Carrboro and can't get enough of the single ladies....and they can't get enough of me The Triangle is sort of widely known as being a family friendly centered sort of place especially for 40 year olds tho,,,,

Old 01-15-2016, 07:08 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,311,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginty74 View Post

Do you agree with my original quote? - "It's not the place to be if you are single and childless.."
I think essentially you are correct. You have only one life to live and believe me, there are alot more fun places out there! Have you tried the West Coast? Beautiful scenery, an outdoorsy "work to live" culture..

I think you would also find more older singles who might be more empathetic to your situation. Spend your time and energy finding a situation that suits you better! There will always be time to crawl back to a place like Raleigh and wait to die..

Old 01-16-2016, 10:15 PM

363 posts, read 433,591 times
I keep saying that all the time. While Raleigh and NC in general is perfect for raising a family, it's not interesting and very boring for single people. Also, the people are friendly, but I find hard time meeting who are diverse. I am 28 and most of my friends have already started a family. Granted the traffic isn't as bad and it's cheaper to live here, but I would gladly give that up for a chance to live in a lively city like NJ or NY especially one where you don't rely on your car all of the time even if it was for only 2 years for the experience. If I want to start a family, I will gladly purchase a home in Raleigh, but as of now I hoping things work out for me to be able to move somewhere else.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:05 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
I think essentially you are correct. You have only one life to live and believe me, there are alot more fun places out there! Have you tried the West Coast? Beautiful scenery, an outdoorsy "work to live" culture..

I think you would also find more older singles who might be more empathetic to your situation. Spend your time and energy finding a situation that suits you better! There will always be time to crawl back to a place like Raleigh and wait to die..
^^^This. My baby graduates HS in June/off to college, and the husband and I are heading west to re-evaluate life. We are in our early 40's, foodies, love music, energy and life! No more 'burbs for us. It also doesn't hurt that we are gypsy's at heart He flies for the airlines, I'm going to travel nurse and change cities every 3 months, he will visit on off days-14/month). Life is too short to settle my friend, go back to Boston (great city, it's where I met my husband) or move on to somewhere new, seems like you're a "big city" guy, good luck!

Old 01-17-2016, 01:17 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,295,927 times
Life is all about choices. Only you can make the right decisions for you. Right now I have a friend living in Manhattan. She is 41, has a great job and no children. She is also lonely and miserable living there. Go figure. I hope you find the best situation for you that makes you happy.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:42 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,066,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
I keep saying that all the time. While Raleigh and NC in general is perfect for raising a family, it's not interesting and very boring for single people. Also, the people are friendly, but I find hard time meeting who are diverse. I am 28 and most of my friends have already started a family. Granted the traffic isn't as bad and it's cheaper to live here, but I would gladly give that up for a chance to live in a lively city like NJ or NY especially one where you don't rely on your car all of the time even if it was for only 2 years for the experience. If I want to start a family, I will gladly purchase a home in Raleigh, but as of now I hoping things work out for me to be able to move somewhere else.
Are you actively trying to move or just waiting for an opportunity to come along?

Old 01-17-2016, 09:39 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,766,582 times
highly recommend his area for people raising a family, looking to live a comfortable life, or for those who may be shocked by a big city (i.e. They grew up in the boonies and Raleigh is "the city" to them).

If you're looking for action, for lots of diverse people doing diverse things, if you want excitement and nightlife and a huge variety of people to meet and interact with...there are much better places for that.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:48 AM

363 posts, read 433,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Are you actively trying to move or just waiting for an opportunity to come along?
Kind of both. If I could find a job before I move or if my job here move me then I would. But as for now, I am trying to have enough money saved up in order to move. I need to save enough money to last me 4-6 months in case I am unable to find a job that pays enough. The funny thing is I am not even sure where I want to go, I just need to experience a different life style since I lived in NC all my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary