Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 06:40 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Davis was a little hairy up toward Durham - not awful. The hill coming down Kitt Creek toward Davis looked really treacherous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 08:36 AM

307 posts, read 377,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
Durham should be ashamed. Little to no sanding on secondary roads and partially cleared secondary roads that are icy, snow covered and have ruts from road graders or something like that. Even my development is in better shape. Tax dollars for what????????????
Totally agree, it looks like they didn't even try to do anything other than the very major roads.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:40 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosjester87 View Post
Totally agree, it looks like they didn't even try to do anything other than the very major roads.
GRRRR why don't they have industrial snow handling equipment for my twice yearly snows

no thanks, rather not pay more taxes.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:43 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
I think the mix of sleet, snow and rain makes it a bit worse as it was hard as concrete near me and plows couldn't do a thing to it until later in the morning Sunday when it started thawing a bit, so they missed some plow time.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:57 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I think the mix of sleet, snow and rain makes it a bit worse as it was hard as concrete near me and plows couldn't do a thing to it until later in the morning Sunday when it started thawing a bit, so they missed some plow time.

Same here. 2 hours to chop away at the ice on my driveway to get one car out of the garage. Hoping today's thaw will make it easier for the other side. Our driveway is on an incline and there was no way we'd be able to get up it without hacking through the ice.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:35 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
This is when I am glad the front of my house is south facing (ask me how I feel about this in the summer!)

Old 01-25-2016, 09:50 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
GRRRR why don't they have industrial snow handling equipment for my twice yearly snows

no thanks, rather not pay more taxes.
Ya know, I just slid backwards standing along my road that is covered in at leash two inches of pure ice, and my neighbor across the street just got out of the hospital and is on 24/7 oxygen, and my neighborhood faces this problem every single year for days after a storm, and it's completely unsafe to drive or walk through here. The main roads are fine but we are far from alone in having this issue with neighborhood streets.

Truck came through last evening, compacted the snow into harder ice, put down a few sprinkles of sand.

I usually just roll with this but honestly this is completely shameful of the city of Durham. SPEND THE MONEY ON SALT AND SPREAD IT.

I don't care if we need it once a year. We have an ice problem here that isn't up north - it needs to be adequately handled. No school bus is getting through here for days.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:58 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
It's too late at this point - salt is just maintenance, once it gets to this point it's useless. I think it's just a matter of not having enough equipment to keep up with the side roads.

Everything should be melted by end of day tomorrow.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:05 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Well, I would have rather that they salted earlier, but I don't know that it's useless either - it's so thick that it's not melting fast enough in shady spots, and will refreeze again tomorrow morning. Just really maddening. If they're sending trucks out anyway, and spreading something - make it salt and not sand. If they actually spread a decent amount of sand I might feel differently, but they put down so little it's like they put down none.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:18 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Salt on top of ice isn't the answer. Just do a calculation how much salt it would take to unthaw two inches of ice, even if it could be mixed in. Other parts of the country put down cinders or asphalt grinds on top of ice, just to increase the traction, but they still need to wait for the ice to melt by itself or with rain. That's about all you can do. And if your neighbor needs hospitalization, someone can use an ATV to get to her.

I think of it this way. Would I rather pay $300 of my own money to have the area in front of my house cleared or would I be happy to wait a day for it to warm up or rain? I'll be patient, even if I'd rather be out doing something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary