Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:11 AM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I was thinking this. She may fit in fine now but at some point she will be 12 years old in a class with 13 and 14 year old boys.
Add a couple more years to that and then you have even more problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 03:49 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Born Sept 16. At the time (1970s) I'm not sure exactly what the cutoff was but according to my parents they had the option to have me go ahead or stay back a year. Every child is different and I tested well ahead of my peers academically all through school, even with being younger.
Sept 15 here. The date used to be Oct 15, but at the time, Kindergarten was voluntary and not everyone really even went (it was more like day care). But the cutoff was for 1st grade. I knew of kids with late October birthdays who went to private school the first year because they were more lenient about the deadline.

As for being the youngest--I was invited to skip a grade in elementary school, but since I was already one of the youngest in my class, my parents opted against it [I never knew this until years later]

Old 02-04-2016, 04:24 PM

527 posts, read 687,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Add a couple more years to that and then you have even more problems.
Agreed! I commented earlier but I went to college at 17. It was SO stupid, and so unnecessary. I had no business being there.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:34 PM

53 posts, read 117,922 times
I am a former teacher, now a stay-at-home mom. I have a kindergartener this year. She was definitely academically and socially ready and is doing very well in school, but I am saddened by how intense and academic kindergarten has gotten. They have full days, only allowed naps for the first quarter, and they only have one recess a day. If I had the choice as you do, I'd let my child stay in preschool for another year and play. There are so many fun ways they can learn through play, and if you find a great preschool that is suited to your child, they will not only enjoy the year more, they may learn more as well. I really feel we are doing our children a disservice by focusing too much on rigorous academics at such a young age. Let them play!

Old 02-05-2016, 09:40 AM

76 posts, read 109,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by careta View Post
Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for some advice as it relates to enrolling my daughter in kindergarten in Wake County. We have decided to build a home in Bella Casa, which is scheduled to be built by August 25th. We have two young daughters, 2 and 4. Our expectation was we would be registering our older daughter in kindergarten once we took ownership of the house (cutting it close to school start, we know). But we just came to realize that the Wake County system requires children to be 5 by August 31 of the school year. My daughter's birthday is September 17th, so should would miss the cutoff by just over 2 weeks.

We are relocating from Long Island, where the cutoff is November, so we are a bit upset by this, and are looking for advice on how to handle. While I know there are benefits to this cutoff, our preference is not to hold my daughter back for a year. She has been enrolled in school since 3 years old, and does very well academically. Her pre-school teacher here says she is more than ready for kindergarten. I understand it could benefit her holding back a year, in that she is the youngest in her grade already. But she is ready for kindergarten, and I'm afraid doing this will affect her emotionally, especially since she will already need to adjust to moving to Apex.

My understanding is Wake has a early k entry process, but it requires you to test at a really high aptitude that many may not pass (if not academically, maybe emotionally). Again, she is just missing the cutoff by 2 weeks, we are not talking months here. I have left messages with Wake county schools to see if this process is required if she is just missing by 2 weeks.

I'm hoping to get some advice from others that may have faced this situation and how they handled it. Any advice/guidance is appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
The cutoff was changed 2-3 years ago. It used to be October 15th I believe. Imagine how I felt when my son had to wait an entire year to start kindergarten because he went 2 weeks overdue being born only 1 week after the cutoff. I even called the school board on the 15th and they had told me that if I didn't have the baby that day, that we would have to wait an additional year for the child to start school. They are pretty strict about it.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:41 AM

76 posts, read 109,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
Same thing happened to my kids...they missed the cutoff by two weeks, but that was back when it was in October. The only issue for us was that they had to repeat the 4s program in preschool, but the teachers were very good and added to their program so that they were even more ready for K. My son started school reading well...my daughter not far behind (I have twins). I wouldn't sweat it...it can have advantages. They are in AIG now. Enjoy that time before real school starts...its precious
This is exactly what happened with ours. My son is in AIG now and he missed the cutoff by 1 week. It makes a difference!

Old 02-05-2016, 10:42 AM

22 posts, read 21,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAlicia View Post
Careta,

Your child missed by 17 days. My middle child missed by 20 hours! I even got pregnant a certain month knowing I would be due something like five weeks before the cut-off date (I am such a planner). And then, while I was pregnant, they changed the date on me!! The whole last week of August I kept telling people, "Get this baby out of me by the 31st!" Acupuncture, Castor Oil, and a little help from the midwife didn't work, and my sweet Archie was born the afternoon of the 1st. Oh well. God knew what was best, and I got an extra year with my joy!

My third (the princess after two boys) just turned five this January and will be going to kindergarten next year. She's my baby and I'd love to be able to have her another year! As they say, the days are long, but the years are short. You said you plan on moving to be able to spend more time with your wee one, well maybe this change in cutoff date is a little coincidence to help you get that time.

And yes, kindergarten now is nooooo fun. Worksheets, worksheets, worksheets. Bleh. I wouldn't want a four-year-old of any maturity to have to endure seven hours a day of that.

Thanks for your message, it actually gave me a well needed laugh

Old 02-05-2016, 11:10 AM

22 posts, read 21,392 times
OP here.... To everyone who has posted on this thread, thank you. In the last two days since posting and reading all the responses I have a new opinion and perspective on waiting the year out. Originally it just felt wrong to me, but there have been so many positive points made that I now see this is not necessarily a negative thing. It would give me the year to spend a little more time with her, and give her the time she needs to further develop academically and socially so she is better prepared for K. Also, now I understand this is a fairly common practice to red shirt, therefore my little one could be the youngest by over a year, which is disconcerting and does feel like it could put her at a disadvantage!

I am still going to see what her pre-k teacher says, to get their perspective, but I am now leaning towards waiting. I actually already spoke with Chesterbrook Academy about their Pre-K 2 program, which is a transitional kindergarten program. The curriculum seems a step above the typical Pre-K curriculum, and was impressive. This was recommended to me in this thread, does anyone have experience with them, or other transitional K programs? I plan on touring Chesterbrook when I come down in the next few weeks. I know there are a number of other private pre-k programs, but it seems like they would be the standard pre-k curriculum which she will have completed already. I would prefer to differentiate her learning if doing Pre-k again, just to advance her academic development.

I also looked into Thales, which seems great if I wanted to go the private K route. My only concern is Wake County schools told me even if I went the private K route, they would still put her in K next year, and see if she can move to 1st grade. So I would run the risk that she does K all over again. Still something to think about, so I may visit them when I come as well (although it sounds like admission is tough, they may already be full).

Thank you again to everyone for helping me think through this difficult (to me at least) decision!

Old 02-05-2016, 12:14 PM

527 posts, read 687,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by careta View Post
OP here.... To everyone who has posted on this thread, thank you. In the last two days since posting and reading all the responses I have a new opinion and perspective on waiting the year out. Originally it just felt wrong to me, but there have been so many positive points made that I now see this is not necessarily a negative thing. It would give me the year to spend a little more time with her, and give her the time she needs to further develop academically and socially so she is better prepared for K. Also, now I understand this is a fairly common practice to red shirt, therefore my little one could be the youngest by over a year, which is disconcerting and does feel like it could put her at a disadvantage!

I am still going to see what her pre-k teacher says, to get their perspective, but I am now leaning towards waiting. I actually already spoke with Chesterbrook Academy about their Pre-K 2 program, which is a transitional kindergarten program. The curriculum seems a step above the typical Pre-K curriculum, and was impressive. This was recommended to me in this thread, does anyone have experience with them, or other transitional K programs? I plan on touring Chesterbrook when I come down in the next few weeks. I know there are a number of other private pre-k programs, but it seems like they would be the standard pre-k curriculum which she will have completed already. I would prefer to differentiate her learning if doing Pre-k again, just to advance her academic development.

I also looked into Thales, which seems great if I wanted to go the private K route. My only concern is Wake County schools told me even if I went the private K route, they would still put her in K next year, and see if she can move to 1st grade. So I would run the risk that she does K all over again. Still something to think about, so I may visit them when I come as well (although it sounds like admission is tough, they may already be full).

Thank you again to everyone for helping me think through this difficult (to me at least) decision!
Aw yay. Let us know what you decide if you feel so inclined!

Old 02-05-2016, 02:01 PM

108 posts, read 151,963 times
I too date back to the years of the Oct. 15 cutoff. I was always one of the youngest in my class. My daughter, whose birthday is 5 days after mine, will be among the oldest when she starts K this fall. I firmly believe she will be better off socially than I was. Academically, the greater expectations of the modern kindergarten ought to help meet her advanced knowledge. If they don't, we will stay on top of things and see to it that she is challenged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary