Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:41 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,674,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilove2bake View Post
I am a former teacher, now a stay-at-home mom. I have a kindergartener this year. She was definitely academically and socially ready and is doing very well in school, but I am saddened by how intense and academic kindergarten has gotten. They have full days, only allowed naps for the first quarter, and they only have one recess a day. If I had the choice as you do, I'd let my child stay in preschool for another year and play. There are so many fun ways they can learn through play, and if you find a great preschool that is suited to your child, they will not only enjoy the year more, they may learn more as well. I really feel we are doing our children a disservice by focusing too much on rigorous academics at such a young age. Let them play!
I totally agree with you! Active play and creative activities are important at that age. They contribute so much to the necessary motor skills development as well as social skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 09:39 PM

8 posts, read 7,487 times
I apologize If this has been mentioned already but thinking about friends who moved to NY from NC-- kindergarten up there was typically 1/2 day, while here it's full day. That's a big difference for a 4 or 5 year old. Not sure if your child would have been teed up for 1/2 or full day there in LI (I see some
are maybe still 1/2 day).

My kids went to a private preschool that also had an elementary school and were carefully evaluated for K. One is a 98th-99 percentile kid but an early Oct birthday so they recommended waiting for social reasons. The other was a July birthday so clearly made the cut off and again they recommended waiting due to social reasons. It was hard to pay that extra year of private tuition, and we agonized over the decision (would they be bored?) but fast forward 10 years and we don't regret it for a second. Their school was good at individualizing learning plans, and we had no problem keeping them challenged with additional reading and activities at home.

I have seen the "developmental K" programs at several schools - this may also be a good option for you to consider.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2016, 05:12 PM

9 posts, read 6,865 times
I am possibly dealing with the opposite problem here. We very well might be relocating from MA to Raleigh within the next 6 weeks. The cut off in our district up here was Oct 1st and my daughter turned 5 Sept 26th. We were strongly encouraged to put her in K this year. We are worried she is going to be far to young compared to the rest of her class or that they won't honor her time here in MA. Not something I expected to have to worry about with a mid school year move!

Old 02-23-2016, 03:42 PM

22 posts, read 21,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sew_sunny View Post
I am possibly dealing with the opposite problem here. We very well might be relocating from MA to Raleigh within the next 6 weeks. The cut off in our district up here was Oct 1st and my daughter turned 5 Sept 26th. We were strongly encouraged to put her in K this year. We are worried she is going to be far to young compared to the rest of her class or that they won't honor her time here in MA. Not something I expected to have to worry about with a mid school year move!
Hi sew_sunny!
OP here.... Just an fyi, as I was doing my research on this issue, I was told by the Wake county schools that if the child finishes a quarter of kindergarten in another state, then they let them transition into that grade in Wake County. So assuming I got the right information, you may be fine. Obviously this doesn't solve the being young dilemma

Old 02-23-2016, 04:04 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Another thing some might think about re: redshirting (I presume this is one reason more boys are held back) is high school sports--if they're "old" for their year, it will be an advantage in athletics from Middle school on. I don't know for a fact that people do this for boys, but I remember coming across a school directory from my high school class, years later, and was amazed at how many of the "star athletes" in my class were born the previous year and could have been in the class ahead.

You can't know now whether your daughter will be athletic, and I know it wouldn't be a big factor in keeping her back, but someone who is younger than most of their class may end of one of the "runts" of PE class.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:19 PM
ERH

1,701 posts, read 2,533,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by careta View Post
Thanks Sherifftruman; I know what your saying. My daughter is intelligent, and I personally don't think she would have issues academically (but of course this is her mom talking ). But I can know what you mean about socially. I have noticed that since she is on the younger side in her class now, other kids are more socially developed. But then I see her adapt to those kids and then she catches up. It's really a hard decision. If we were to hold her back, she would be only 1 grade higher than her sister who is 2 years younger, when I think of it that way I feel strongly she needs to be in kindergarten next year, since I see such an academic difference between the two.
I haven't read the entire thread, but I do want to share with you my experience. Like your daughter, I was deemed academically gifted, was tested, and was admitted to kindergarten when I was 4yo. I was always the youngest one. Yes, there were parts of the school experience to which I was able to adapt, but the social development gap widened as the years went on. My classmates went through puberty, got their learners' permits and driver licenses, started dating, etc., and I was always a year behind, so kind of fell out of the group. It was lonely.

Of course, that was a long time ago, and I got over it, but just wanted to let you have a view of what it was like. Knowing your daughter best, I'm sure you'll make the right decision for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary