Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 07:34 AM

4,273 posts, read 4,728,620 times

Advertisements

Why not a merger of Wendell and Zebulon? Or Wake Forest and Rolesville? Why not one aggregated municipality for all of Wake outside 440, with a trimmed-down Raleigh inside 440? Why not city-county consolidation for all of Wake? There are endless permutations. But I doubt any of them will ever get serious consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 07:44 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,382,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
To think that the town could have been called Varina Springs, yet they went with Fuquay-Varina...
But the springs are actually on the Fuquay side, so I dunno if that would've worked. Besides, the Fuquay family still lives in the town and I have a feeling they'd be a little offended!

Old 02-09-2016, 07:46 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,312,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Why not a merger of Wendell and Zebulon? Or Wake Forest and Rolesville? Why not one aggregated municipality for all of Wake outside 440, with a trimmed-down Raleigh inside 440? Why not city-county consolidation for all of Wake? There are endless permutations. But I doubt any of them will ever get serious consideration.
I think that the locals have been known to refer to the entire Knightdale, Wendell, Zebulon area as "Zebudale" when describing where they live to a person in Raleigh.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:57 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,927,059 times
I think Morrisville should annex Cary, then change its name to New Cary. Abbreviated NC in NC.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:52 AM

9,150 posts, read 14,791,553 times
No idea what went into the naming, but Holly Springs is right next door and Willow Spring isn't that far away.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:23 PM

6,390 posts, read 5,516,934 times
I'd be willing to wager less than 1/3 of people in the Triangle ever even say the word "Varina"...it's pretty much always referred to simply as "Fuquay"

Old 02-10-2016, 05:04 AM

13 posts, read 19,075 times
But in all seriousness, I think a Cary/Morrisville merger wouldn't bring anyone any real benefits. The only benefit i could see is maybe the roads in Morrisville would finally be widened, since Cary, more or less, actually pays to widen its roads, even the ones owned by NCDOT.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:15 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,725,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catbingo View Post
But in all seriousness, I think a Cary/Morrisville merger wouldn't bring anyone any real benefits. The only benefit i could see is maybe the roads in Morrisville would finally be widened, since Cary, more or less, actually pays to widen its roads, even the ones owned by NCDOT.
That's a pretty big benefit IMO.

I don't live in Morrisville, but often when I drive through I find myself wondering who in the world decided to let XYZ Road remain two lanes.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:44 AM

9,150 posts, read 14,791,553 times
There are several issues at work.

Without knowing the specific road it's hard to say for sure, but for many of the roads that matter, it's partly due to the railroad not allowing more lanes.

Also, going back maybe 20 years, development started coming here and the town grew from about 2000 people to about 15,000, then we had a period of time where we had a majority on the town council that were anti-development or at least they thought if development was limited in certain areas it would help traffic despite the fact that the vast majority of cars on the road here are not from town and therefore even if nothing was even built here, the traffic would still come anyway, we would just miss out on the tax base increase.

I also don't believe that we did an adequate job of getting the message that we needed road widening done to the DOT, which also had a pretty unfair formula for road finding that hurt the entire triangle for many years.

Couple that with the small size of the town (even after considerable growth we are only at 23,000 or so now) and it's not as if we have the money to widen every road in town. All the problem roads are DOT roads and most are pretty difficult and expensive to expand. We have spent money over the last few years to work on the intersection of 54 and Morrisville carpenter.

The town has changed a bit in the last few years and are in the process of widening Morrisville Carpenter to the extent the railroad will allow. At the same time, the DOT has modified their formulas and between better communication, etc quite a bit of DOT work is going to happen in the next several years, including widening of Aviation parkway from 40 to just past the railroad tracks at 54. There is actually an information session next Thursday about this project at town hall. The town has also joined forces with Cary to pay for a study so DOT will begin the process of widening highway 54 though both towns. Although DOT will probably ruin that pushing their super street agenda onto the area near Park West.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:03 AM

4,273 posts, read 4,728,620 times
It's been a while, but if I recall correctly the Morrisville council did fight tooth and nail in the late 1980s and early 1990s to keep NC 54 from being widened. At least the hump at the railroad crossing was fixed, although I believe there was controversy about that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary