Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 04:20 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,894,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
What should it be called if not Raleigh-Durham, other than just Raleigh? If you're writing for a national audience, people have no idea what "The Triangle" is.
It actually would have been LESS inaccurate to list it as "Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill-Cary" (with or without both "C" towns) since once you get a string of three, it's pretty definitely a cluster of cities--but in fact a LOT of people do in fact think "Raleigh-Durham" is ONE city, with a hyphenated name (like Winston-Salem).

But I do see now that it claims to rank "metros", not cities. The Twin Cities of MN and Dallas/Ft Worth are listed together....but ironically, "Winston-Salem" is listed by itself, not with Greensboro, which everyone considers as much a pair as any of the other combos (and Greensboro is the larger)...perhaps they didn't want to use two hyphens with different meanings in the same listing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 07:34 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,730,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
It actually would have been LESS inaccurate to list it as "Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill-Cary" (with or without both "C" towns) since once you get a string of three, it's pretty definitely a cluster of cities--but in fact a LOT of people do in fact think "Raleigh-Durham" is ONE city, with a hyphenated name (like Winston-Salem).
I haven't met a single person who thinks they're one city. Guess we know different people.

Quote:
But I do see now that it claims to rank "metros", not cities. The Twin Cities of MN and Dallas/Ft Worth are listed together....but ironically, "Winston-Salem" is listed by itself, not with Greensboro, which everyone considers as much a pair as any of the other combos (and Greensboro is the larger)...perhaps they didn't want to use two hyphens with different meanings in the same listing?
My best guess? They either wanted cities in the same MSA (Dallas-Fort Worth and Minneapolis-St. Paul) or that shared a border (Raleigh and Durham). Winston-Salem and Greensboro don't fit either of those descriptions.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:46 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,426,913 times
As an outsider not far away, I've never heard of Triangle until I came onto this message board. I've heard of Dallas being referred to as the metroplex. But never triangle.

And I use the term Raleigh-Durham. And I use Dallas Ft. Worth too. Sometimes Minneapolis St. Paul. Sea-tac (Seattle Tacoma)

Old 03-07-2016, 02:38 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,257,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
As an outsider not far away, I've never heard of Triangle until I came onto this message board. I've heard of Dallas being referred to as the metroplex. But never triangle.

And I use the term Raleigh-Durham. And I use Dallas Ft. Worth too. Sometimes Minneapolis St. Paul. Sea-tac (Seattle Tacoma)
I have no doubt that you hadn't heard of The Triangle or The Research Triangle. However, I have met people in many states and cities that have. In fact, I have told people that I am from Raleigh and have often heard people reply back with something like "Isn't that part of that Research Triangle?" or something like that. I've even had people go on to expand the conversation by naming one or more of the universities. Will the understanding of The Triangle be universal? Of course not. Likewise, it also wouldn't be universal for the use of Metrolina for Charlotte's metro. I think that the big differentiator for The Triangle is that the use of "The Triangle" or "Research Triangle" specifically respects the multi-core nature of the metro area. This is something that Charlotte doesn't need to address.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:53 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,361,524 times
That is an impressively detailed report. Thanks for sharing it.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:11 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,487,571 times
What a shame.

More lemmings will come running thinking the streets are paved in gold.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:05 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,527,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
What a shame.

More lemmings will come running thinking the streets are paved in gold.
They're not?

Old 03-08-2016, 08:16 AM

4,325 posts, read 6,022,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
They're not?
Only in Cary. But we paint them beige.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary