Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 07:33 PM

23 posts, read 41,438 times

Advertisements

Hi! In my continuing quest to get the hell out of Brooklyn, I’ve landed on the Triangle as a potential area for relocation in August. I’ve previously investigated Atlanta and Nashville, but determined they’re not great options for me at this point in my life. My best friend in the world lives in Raleigh (Five Points) and she thinks I’ll really like the area. It also has the added bonus of actually being within driving distance of family, which would be such a welcome change.

I have a week-long trip scheduled for mid-June that I’m really looking forward to and during which I hope to explore Raleigh, Durham, Cary, and Carrboro. In the meantime though, I’m doing as much research as I can on the area and generally trying to determine if I can find what I’m looking for there. I’ve relied a lot my friend and her boyfriend to provide information about the area, but I’m hoping to gain as much insight as possible from people who know it best. A snapshot me me what I’m looking for below. Any insight on potential neighborhood would be very much appreciated!

ME:
I grew up and got my degree in East Tennessee, so I’m very familiar with the South. I’m single, so not looking for a house or multi bedroom apartment, but I’d like to entertain the idea of getting a small dog or cat. Oh, and I work in advertising. Know it’s not the general industry of the area but I’ve scoped out several agencies I could see myself at in Raleigh, Durham, and Cary.

-Studio or a one bedroom apartment within walking distance (1 mile or less) of at least a few bars and restaurants
-Hopefully not 100% undergraduate population (I’ve barely moved out of that stage of my life, I don’t want to be dragged back in!)
-Rent under $1,200
-Grocery store within a 5 minute drive
-Walkable. I’m not naive enough to think I can get anywhere near the level of walkability I have in Brooklyn anywhere else. I expect to drive to work every day, but it would be lovely if I could stroll a little ways to a trail or walk 10 minutes to a coffee shop or little shopping center

ACTIVITIES:
Honestly, I’m not the kind of person who likes to always have something to do. My limited non-work hours usually include:
-Going to museums
-Talking walks
-Going to movies
-Hanging out in coffee shops and book stores
-Seeing the occasional play or concert

What city and neighborhood do y’all think would be a best match based on the above? I’m thinking Durham, but it’s really hard to tell. Also any insight on the availability of housing within my budget would be so helpful.

Obviously I’ll learn a lot about the area and get a feel for the place during my visit in June, but I’d like to get the opinion of some natives/current residents.

I know I have a million questions, but I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 08:07 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,348,642 times
Take Cary off the table, I do not see it fitting with what you are looking for or like to do. It is suburbs, you are not going to walk to any bars in Cary. I would focus on Raleigh, close to downtown and Durham.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:28 PM

22,700 posts, read 36,889,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Take Cary off the table, I do not see it fitting with what you are looking for or like to do. It is suburbs, you are not going to walk to any bars in Cary. I would focus on Raleigh, close to downtown and Durham.
Agree. Moving to Cary would be like moving to Manhasset, Garden City, or Rockville Center on Long Island. Actually RVC probably more exciting, LOL.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:36 PM

360 posts, read 722,484 times
I agree with the above two poaters. Cary is definitely not the type of place you're looking for. Cary is a very family-oriented suburb and requires driving to practically everything.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:47 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,516,559 times
Scratch Cary, you would hate it. I recommend near downtown Durham. You'd love the American Tobacco Campus and downtown, 9th St areas. You could be very close to bars, music venues, theaters, coffee shops, book stores, etc. It's very bicycle friendly as well.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:04 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,484,764 times
You will sorely miss the MTA here. No way to commute but poorly designed, overcrowded highways.

I wish I had the money to get back to an area with good public transit.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:51 AM

498 posts, read 855,333 times
The Lodge at Southpoint or Southpoint Village are apartments across from a nice mall with lots of restaurants (with bars), Barnes and Noble, and a movie theater. They are also feet away from the American Tobacco Trail, a 22 mile long rails-to-trails gem. From there you can bike from Durham to Apex! I have no idea what the cost per month is for these apartments.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:25 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,622,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Exactly what Sal said.

I would also take the Southpoint area of Durham, near the mall, off your list because that might as well be Cary (sorry, not trying to offend or bash, just giving the OP the facts...)

For museums, Raleigh might have a slight edge, though the wonderful art museum isn't downtown. But others are.

Carrboro is terrific but it can take a while to get to downtown Raleigh.

You might also really enjoy Chapel Hill, just not on nights when students are celebrating basketball wins
The town has a ton to offer and also has both Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, an absolutely wonderful coffee shop that you can walk to via trail (Caffe Driade - Caffe Driade ), a few movie theatres.

Edited: I don't know why Caffe Driade's website is spotlighting that it's one of the best places to drink in the south - I guess that may be true but everyone's drinking coffee or tea when I'm there, am confused)

I always feel like Durham is the perfect place for fleeing Brooklynites, and if I were to sell my house myself I'd actually advertise it there.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:20 AM

11,239 posts, read 8,332,868 times
Five points (if you can find in your budget)
Near Rex Hospital and NCMA, Lake Boone Trail
Cameron Village
DT Durham

While I don't think Cary would be a good fit for OP, I think it meets most of the criteria, depending on where you live. I've lived in house and apartment in Cary, walkable to bar, walking trails, convenience and/or groceries. Certainly the DT area has most of that, as does N. Cary, near Bass Pro Shop, and the area near Harrison and N. Maynard does too. That being said, I think for other reasons, there are better locations for OP, but to automatically scratch it off the list? If you base on his criteria, there are many parts of Cary that work. (Hint: It's not ALL beige houses and HOA's)

OP: Definitely check out Cameron Village area, Five Points, and Lake Boon Trail area. Maybe also Duraleigh near Glennwood, or some apartments near Crabtree (there's a place up the hill on Edward's Mill). I also wonder if you might enjoy small town living, like walking distance to DT Apex?

NONE of them are anything like Brooklyn, but you seem to understand that well.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:50 AM

253 posts, read 237,640 times
To the areas that have already been suggested, I'd add North Hills in Raleigh to your list. I think you can get a 1 bedroom apartment in the apartments in/around North Hills for less than $1200 (I know you can in my complex, which is Allister North Hills-which I recommend, by the way). It's also close to Five Points, so you'd be near your friend. I think the apartment complexes in Cameron Village may be on the upper end of your budget.

If you decide you like Raleigh, there is also an apartment complex (Jones Grant Apts) that just opened across the street from the Trader Joe's shopping center at Wake Forest Road and 440. It's not walking distance to quite as many things as North Hills & Cameron Village, but there is a Trader joe's and some restaurants in that shopping center. I think they're a little cheaper than the apartments in North Hills/Cameron Village but still have some walkability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary