Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:02 PM

36 posts, read 150,954 times

Advertisements

I just came in town for the 1st time on Thursday for 2 days (from WI) and I loved it!! So now I am itching to just get up and move there but I have 2 small children, plus my husband and 2 great jobs. Please tell me reasons why I may not want to move to the area? I know the good now I want to hear the bad. The subdivisions having no yards really put me off but I think I would just have to look harder for what I want. Please help so I can make an educated decision
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 08:13 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times
Here is a similar post you may want to look at:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...eigh-area.html

Old 02-10-2008, 08:44 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,037,211 times
I think you would just need to think about what you are giving up and what is making you want to move.

If you have great jobs can you get them here?

what is the comparable cost of living? (food tends to be more expensive here than many parts of the country, so that may be worth checking out)

Do you have family here? I think the biggest complaint I hear from my friends who have moved here without family is that they miss their family being around, helping with the kids, spending holidays with (if they are not here, then you are probably going to end up doing a lot of traveling)

Many people complain about the "state of the schools", I personally have not had issues with the school system (but I just have one in kindergarten) but this area is experiencing tons of growth, and the schools are trying to catch up. I was at a party tonight and talked to a mom who moved from arizona 2 months ago and she is having a hard time adjusting to the schools.

The weather: are you prepared for very hot and humid summers? I love them, but some people do not! The flip side is the fall and spring are quite mild and the winters are short and some people do not think they are cold! Of course all of the relocatees from florida are cold, but it is all relative!

Anyhow, check out NRG's link to previous posts and then think seriously and do research before you decide.

Leigh

Old 02-10-2008, 10:27 PM

91 posts, read 309,170 times
We have tons of subdivision with huge lots, and some with one acre or more. Do your research and look at a lot of communities. Is is very hard to make a quick decision, and as a Realtor it is hard for me to suggest that someone rent! However sometimes a short term rental is great, then you can get to know some neighborhoods, schools, shopping, all that. Your first instinct however is great..you will love it here!

Old 02-10-2008, 10:30 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,744,539 times
Quote: "but I have 2 small children, plus my husband and 2 great jobs."

Sounds to me like your life works there. Imho, wherever a person's life works, along with the family's well-being, is the ideal place.

However, if one is totally in need of a change along with the majority vote of family members, then exploration is a good thing.

You have visited here during one of the most pleasant times as far as weather is concerned. When May arrives along with the humidity, bugs and uncomfortable weather that will last until the next October, you may find yourself wishing you were back up north. It's a personal choice.

Best of luck
toodie

Old 02-10-2008, 11:26 PM

770 posts, read 3,681,335 times
Wake County Schools are a mess...that was my number 1 reason for not moving to Raleigh, number 2 was after the excitement of going down and visiting several times...there really isn't much to do:/ I never made it to the beach, but it sounds like it is hectic to get to because there is one road in(2 hour drive) and one road out, and in the summer is jammed packed!

Old 02-11-2008, 03:39 AM

4 posts, read 26,378 times
Default Why you lyin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
Wake County Schools are a mess...that was my number 1 reason for not moving to Raleigh, number 2 was after the excitement of going down and visiting several times...there really isn't much to do:/ I never made it to the beach, but it sounds like it is hectic to get to because there is one road in(2 hour drive) and one road out, and in the summer is jammed packed!
You live in Raleigh, don't you? And you're just spreading lies to keep other folks from moving, too...that's pretty tricky!

1. Wake County schools are not a mess. There are a few horror stories where students have been reassigned three times in five years or some craziness, but for the most part, the reassignment issue is blown out of proportion by those people pushing for neighborhood schools. If you want neighborhood schools, don't move here. That's not how we operate.

2. If by "much to do," you mean some big concert every other day and a rockin nightlife, you're correct that there isn't much to do here. There is plenty to do though if you look for it. And Chapel Hill and Durham are twenty minutes away if you get tired of Raleigh.

3. You can leave Raleigh at 10:30 and be laying on the beach by noon. I did just that several times this summer, and it wasn't hectic at all.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:44 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,037,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
And I do have to say that there is more than one road to the beach and more than one beach to go to! Many people go to wrightsville beach (in wilmington) but even going there, you don't have to take 40. I will even make a stretch to say that most native to the triangle don't actually go to wrightsville beach. We all lived here before 40 went to the beach, so many many people tend to go to other beaches still, like emerald isle, ocean isle, holden, etc

Leigh

Old 02-11-2008, 05:06 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,345,072 times
I thought about this one and even slept on it and I guess if I wanted a single reason or multiple reasons I could come up with one or two or a hundred and two if that was my motive. And I could do the same whether I was moving to Miami or Maine.

IMO the final analysis is, if your supporting your family with good jobs where you are currently located you may want to stay there and look for similar or better jobs in NC. Once you are able to land two of those jobs here it maybe the time to say good-bye Wisconsin and Hello North Carolina. I could not come up with a single compelling reason not to come to North Carolina that I could not rationalize for any other part of the country.

Public Schools a mess, OK where are they not a mess? Drought, who has not had a drought, even the great North West had a drought one time or another. Traffic, please show me an area with any sort of population that does not have busy roads during rush hours? Climate, maybe that one is 50/50, IMO there are as many worse than North Carolina and as there are better than North Carolina. Maybe that is why it is located about in the middle of the East coast. Suburbia gone wild. Maybe but has it not in many growing areas? I'm sure they had the same discussions at the turn of the century in the rust belt states when they were growing by leaps and bounds!

So I guess if you want to find a reason not to come to North Carolina you can surely find more than one but if your looking than there are surely more than one for leaving where you are currently located too.

Good luck in your search!

Old 02-11-2008, 05:53 AM

107 posts, read 480,660 times
You have to drive everywhere, unless you're associated and live on a line for one of the universities. There is a public bus system.. but I'm not sure it stops places where you'd feel comfortable getting off.
From Wisconsin, prepare for humidity.
Ditto on the public school system being a huge mess.

But it is great in very many ways. Close access, as has been said, to the beach and the mountains. Temperate climate. Pleasant, open-windowed winter days -- nothing like what you're used to in WI. The kids (and their parents) seem fine (the parents annoyed, though) despite the wacky school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary