Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:40 PM

69 posts, read 156,713 times

Advertisements

1. You are retired and don't need a job.
  2. You have built up a large nest egg and don't need a job right away.
  3. You sold a house for a lot of money elsewhere and are moving here with your bankroll.
  4. You are already out of work and cannot find employment where you are.
There are many reasons someone may choose to move here without a job. I note this because I have been noticing the same somewhat ridiculous comment about not moving here without a job posted a lot. I take exception to the comment for two basic reasons. One is because there seems to be an assuption that someone needs a job when moving here. The other is because there is an assumption that no one is capable of thinking about it on their own. For craps & giggles I checked out other city forums and the same silly comment is posted on all of them. This comment is not unique to the Triangle forum. People, I think the comment is just looking silly at this point. There are many reasons why someone may choose to move here without a job.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:54 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.7mOTB View Post
  1. You are retired and don't need a job.
  2. You have built up a large nest egg and don't need a job right away.
  3. You sold a house for a lot of money elsewhere and are moving here with your bankroll.
  4. You are already out of work and cannot find employment where you are.
There are many reasons someone may choose to move here without a job. I note this because I have been noticing the same somewhat ridiculous comment about not moving here without a job posted a lot. I take exception to the comment for two basic reasons. One is because there seems to be an assuption that someone needs a job when moving here. The other is because there is an assumption that no one is capable of thinking about it on their own. For craps & giggles I checked out other city forums and the same silly comment is posted on all of them. This comment is not unique to the Triangle forum. People, I think the comment is just looking silly at this point. There are many reasons why someone may choose to move here without a job.
Why is it silly in these economic times in which we live? Most of the people posing questions about moving here without a job don't fall into your first 3 categories. Most of them fall under number 4 hoping that they can find employment when they arrive. That's a dangerous game to play.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:56 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Nor is it silly, I believe, to point out to people that the economy here may not be as rosy at it appears, and jobs are not as plentiful as they once were. It's just the kind of "insider" information that people tend to look for on forums such as this.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:58 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
This will be a great spectator sport!
Calling Dibs on the popcorn and hot dog sales concession for THIS thread!

Old 05-21-2009, 01:58 PM

69 posts, read 156,713 times
It's silly because of the fact that in most cases the person isn't even mentioning if they need a job or have one lined up or not. It is always an add on comment like the person is a dunce or something. It's just very old at this point.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:10 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
Look at like a disclaimer.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:21 PM

129 posts, read 671,291 times
there is another category that was not included which was my case: I had my job and could move anywhere I want because I work out of my home office...

Old 05-21-2009, 02:34 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
I think the statement "don't move here without a job" is more often than not a statement of the uneasiness that people here feel right now about the economy, and about their own jobs and security. Sadly, there is a real fear and insecurity about how things are and whether they are likely to get worse. One way people express that is to "warn" other - not simply as advice, but really as a way of assuring themselves that if people don't move here without jobs, then things can't get worse than they are now. In other words, they say it for their own comfort as much as they say it to provide advice to the people indicating an interest in moving here. I'm not so quick to dismiss people's fears and insecurities as "silly."

Old 05-21-2009, 02:49 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,689 times
I find it necessary to mention it at times because some people seem to think they can just pack up and move here and secure housing then look for a job later. I've worked in the apartment industry for many years and now have an apartment locator service and I can't tell you how many people think it's just going to be easy peasy to get a place to live. But the reality is apartment communities are really cracking down on the employment qualification in this economy and people moving here with the hope of getting a job later are being sorely disappointed when they find they can't secure a place to live.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:59 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,711 times
I've gotten a lot of flack by choosing to move to Raleigh without a job (I'll arrive next week). I'm glad you posted this, because I fall under the last category. I just graduated with a master's in social work. I live in Columbia, SC where there are next to no open jobs right now. My parents live in Spartanburg, SC where the outlook for my career is even more bleak. There are jobs posted constantly in Raleigh for social work related positions. I've been on a handful of interviews and have two lined up for when I get there. So had I stayed in Columbia where I'm unemployed, or moved home where I would have been unemployed, I feel I would have been making a bad choice. Instead, I'm moving somewhere (with savings) where the job outlook isn't so grim. Yes, it's a little risky, but my lease was up here anyways, and I don't have kids, debt that I can't handle, etc. I can't claim unemployment or any other sort of assistance, so I won't be draining resources from your area, rest assured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary