Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:09 AM

314 posts, read 1,036,807 times

Advertisements

everybody always says what kind of person needs 4000 sqft? well what kind of person needs 1/2 acre? most people spend most of thier time indoors anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 10:55 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
everybody always says what kind of person needs 4000 sqft? well what kind of person needs 1/2 acre? most people spend most of thier time indoors anyway.
I don't say what kind of person needs 4000 sqft....

I say what kind of person wants 4000 sqft *BUT* doesn't want a yard big enough to throw a ball in?

In that case you will definitely HAVE TO spend more time indoors because of the lack of outdoor space.

I have a 4000 sqft home now, and my yard is bigger than most, but lately the new homes are packing these size homes on lots that are smaller than my current patio cover, and it is THAT more specifically I don't get.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:19 PM

8 posts, read 25,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Did you make it down to the Charlotte metro area? There are several communities I can think of where I believe you'd feel right at home in no time at all. The cool thing about Charlotte is that we are more of a "melting pot" then the Cary/Raleigh area. There you just find tons of yankees (no offense people from the northeast, that's just a good natured nickname we have for you!). But in the Charlotte area we actually have a large Vietnamese community, Buddists monks, many German-owned companies who bring Germans here to work, people from India, Greeks, ect... and of course our share of yankees too
Don't let this confused person tell you that Charlotte is more of a melting pot it's not!!!! this person doesn't know JACK! about our metro! do your own research it's amazing how much Charlotte HATE'S!!!ON!!RALEIGH!!,and thank you for choosing the TRIANGLE AREA ,as so many other people have done. RTP has companies from all over the world ,that bring people to work here and we also have REAL COLLEGE'S, here in the Triangle that have people from all over the world also coming here to learn, so go some were else with that am better than you TRASH!!!!, what will you say when the Triangle surpasses you in population, go ahead and start thinking cause that's going to happen too, then what?

Last edited by WARMASTER; 12-06-2006 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-06-2006, 12:30 PM

8 posts, read 25,579 times
Default Not true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Yes alot of things are more expensive in NC than AZ, We were in North Raleigh then Apex/Cary area. Charlotte is more diverse and has more to offer than Raleigh area, big city with a smaller feel, a little faster pace than Raleigh more jobs and such. I was surprised I liked AZ more, since I never wanted to move here, but husband found a job that paid great and we just couldnt find that in NC.
Yes Charlotte by it'self has more to do than Raleigh, but when you compare the two metro area's as ahole, that's just not true. Charlotte doesn't even have top of the line museum's and from a culture and arts stand point Raleigh burns charlotte up!

Old 12-06-2006, 04:42 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
I dont think alot of people get it. For us is isnt about buyinga bigger house, bigger isnt always better, it isnt about the greenier, I am from oregon, it isnt about the weather (sorry but anyone thats says the humidity isnt that bad has no sweat glands!) it was about fitting in to a different way of life, with the people, it being exactly the opposite of what we knew and many (in our case) not being welcoming. i dont care about a big house, I can be happy in a small one as long as my family is there, lack of a good paying job was a factor, higher cost of many things as well ( i seriously do not know what the person from PHX was talking about, food and gas and electric and taxes are cheaper here)schools were a factor, but most of all my kids were miserable and so was my husband, that was number one reason we moved. Alot of people get along great there, alot however do not , after 2 years we realized we were not meant to be there.. There was alot of things I loved about NC, but we are happier in AZ now, who knows in 10 years.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:06 PM

421 posts, read 348,268 times
Quote:
I dont think alot of people get it. For us is isnt about buyinga bigger house, bigger isnt always better, it isnt about the greenier, I am from oregon, it isnt about the weather (sorry but anyone thats says the humidity isnt that bad has no sweat glands!) it was about fitting in to a different way of life, with the people, it being exactly the opposite of what we knew and many (in our case) not being welcoming. i dont care about a big house, I can be happy in a small one as long as my family is there, lack of a good paying job was a factor, higher cost of many things as well ( i seriously do not know what the person from PHX was talking about, food and gas and electric and taxes are cheaper here)schools were a factor, but most of all my kids were miserable and so was my husband, that was number one reason we moved. Alot of people get along great there, alot however do not , after 2 years we realized we were not meant to be there.. There was alot of things I loved about NC, but we are happier in AZ now, who knows in 10 years.

If the electric in more expensive in NC than AZ I'm going to absolutely die. I can't believe my electric bill in the Summer in AZ. When I first moved there I called the electric company and argued with them that it had to be wrong.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:30 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweattea View Post
If the electric in more expensive in NC than AZ I'm going to absolutely die. I can't believe my electric bill in the Summer in AZ. When I first moved there I called the electric company and argued with them that it had to be wrong.
My first bill for A/C in the summer in NC was over 300.00 dollars and that was with a new unit!! then you need to heat from October on, I havent had to trun my heat on but once or twice in AZ so far, my bill in August for A/C here in Az was 175.00. Those bigger houses in NC cost more to heat and cool!

Old 12-07-2006, 07:59 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,652,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch123 View Post
Airport- Raleigh is bad. What more can I say.

Golf Fees/Club membership-less than half of what you pay in Phoenix.
I am surprised you said this about airport as it is one of the easiest airports to get in and out of and well laid out.

Not sure where you went for golf but the membership and costs in Raleigh are very high. And I expect them to go higher with the plowing under of more courses. Prestonwood has a $42,000 initiation fee and Brier Creek has a $32,500. The list is endless of high priced private clubs in this area. A bad daily fee course will still run over $50 for 18 and there are not even a lot of public courses in the area.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:41 AM

354 posts, read 1,217,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I am surprised you said this about airport as it is one of the easiest airports to get in and out of and well laid out.
Obviously you have not been to the Phoenix airport. I agree its easy to get in and out of RDU but the buildings are run down, only one restaurant after check in the Southwest terminal and the luggage took forever to arrive with the conveyor belt making such a racket that I thought I was in a third world country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Not sure where you went for golf but the membership and costs in Raleigh are very high. And I expect them to go higher with the plowing under of more courses. Prestonwood has a $42,000 initiation fee and Brier Creek has a $32,500. The list is endless of high priced private clubs in this area. A bad daily fee course will still run over $50 for 18 and there are not even a lot of public courses in the area.
The next door private course - Firerock charges $65k ( $80k now -that's what I heard) for membership, with $590 in monthly fees while Hasentree is $25k with $375 in monthly fees.

I currently live on a golf course and the current daily play fee is $115 and it goes up to $175 in season. In the Scottsdale area the golf courses can get more revenue in daily fees so there are lot of choices but all the good ones are over $100 (and over $200 in a number of them) from Oct to May. Guaranteed the golf courses are generally better here but so are the exorbitant prices. But the Tom Fazio course at Hasentree should compare favorably with most of the top courses here.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:22 AM

354 posts, read 1,217,721 times
Quote:
.... higher cost of many things as well ( i seriously do not know what the person from PHX was talking about, food and gas and electric and taxes are cheaper here)
Not true! I am talking facts here that are easily verifiable.

I said that NC state income tax was higher by about 3% than AZ.

NC sales tax is 7% and hence lower than 8%- 8.95 % they charge here in the Phoenix area.

Food was cheaper- I went to Harris Teeter and Oroweat Buttermilk bread was $3.19 while here it is $3.89 and Pasta was $1.19 vs $1.39.

Gas was within a few cents so overall it was a wash.

Oh- I was wrong about Vehicle plate yearly renewal- On a $50k new car you need to pay $840+ for the first year in AZ and it would be about $325 in Wake County if not living within a municipality otherwise it would be about $500. So they are definitely higher in AZ.

Utility Bills will always be higher here in Phoenix as for the extreme temperature for 8-9 months of the year when the A/C works non stop 24 hrs a day. You have to compare similar sized houses not comparable value houses, as you definitely get more for your money in the Raleigh area and you end up with a bigger house.

Quote:
.......schools were a factor, but most of all my kids were miserable and so was my husband, that was number one reason we moved. Alot of people get along great there, alot however do not , after 2 years we realized we were not meant to be there.. There was alot of things I loved about NC, but we are happier in AZ now, who knows in 10 years.
Personal factors and your personal experience and interaction with NC residents, I cant comment on as it will vary with each individual.

Last edited by ch123; 12-07-2006 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary