Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 05:09 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,301 times

Advertisements

First of all, I am a transplant. I moved here in 2000 and LOVE living in NC. When I first moved here, having grown up in Florida, I brought my driving habits with me. In Florida, if you turn on your signal people will charge ahead to make sure you don't get in front of them. So you just zip in and out of traffic and drive very aggressively for your own protection.

But once I had been here in NC for a while, I noticed that people were nice on the roads. They let you in, not only if you signaled, but even if they noticed you needing to get by. People wave and smile. North Carolinians are generally very kind and courteous, even on the road when you don't know the person next to you.

My point here is...when in Rome. :-) Please try to adopt the NC culture because that southern hospitality makes everyone's life nicer. I've noticed the roads are much more populated with aggressive drivers. Slow down. Pay attention to the people around you. Treat them like you would want to be treated.

Welcome to North Carolina. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 05:13 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times
A post about transplants? Quick, where's saturnfan and CapitalBlvd????

Old 04-23-2016, 05:15 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
A post about transplants? Quick, where's saturnfan and CapitalBlvd????
I know, I'm sure this has been covered recently, but I haven't been on this site in some time and thought I would make it explicit. :-)

Old 04-23-2016, 05:23 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times
As eye-roll-inducing as a lot of "It's not as expensive/crowded/traffic-filled here as where I came from so long-time residents don't know what they're talking about" posts from some recent transplants can be....I don't necessarily think that they are the only ones responsible for driving frustrations here in the Triangle.

NCians are notorious for not using turn signals. Many family members and friends who've lived here their whole lives are guilty. I'm pretty vigilant about using the turn signal because that bothers me so much but even I forget.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:29 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Never seen this thread before.

It is not transplants, it's increased population in general. The more populated the roads, the more aggressive people become. Not just transplants.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:43 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
The first thing you need to do when moving to North Carolina is read our drivers' handbook to see what OUR driving rules are. I have found traveling in areas where there are a lot of transplants to be very challenging. The biggest reason is that many bring strange driving rules with them. We have almost wrecked when making a left turn from Potter Road to Potter Road in Wesley Chapel area to only find out the other person who was stopped at a stop sign thought we should take turns because they do that back home. Read the traffic laws and see how WE do it. We might be courteous and let you go ahead when it really isn't your turn but you don't do that when it inconveniences other drivers. A stop sign that is not a four way stop means you proceed only when it is your turn after other traffic has cleared. Learn how to get where you are going without going on a road that has a backed-up stop sign.

And horns are for getting wild animals out of the road. It is rude to use the horn to tell a human to get out of your way. Thank you.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:59 PM

586 posts, read 1,546,776 times
I am a transplant and learned to drive in Dutchess Cty New York. While visiting there recently, my daughter remarked "so that is where you get it from" ie. waving and thanking the other driver for letting me in. I rarely see it here, my experience is letting someone get in front of me without any wave of acknowledgement. I once visited Cape Cod and noticed extra friendly drivers there too. Now the NYC/Nassau Cty area was not very friendly at all!

Old 04-23-2016, 06:08 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The first thing you need to do when moving to North Carolina is read our drivers' handbook to see what OUR driving rules are. I have found traveling in areas where there are a lot of transplants to be very challenging. The biggest reason is that many bring strange driving rules with them. We have almost wrecked when making a left turn from Potter Road to Potter Road in Wesley Chapel area to only find out the other person who was stopped at a stop sign thought we should take turns because they do that back home. Read the traffic laws and see how WE do it. We might be courteous and let you go ahead when it really isn't your turn but you don't do that when it inconveniences other drivers. A stop sign that is not a four way stop means you proceed only when it is your turn after other traffic has cleared. Learn how to get where you are going without going on a road that has a backed-up stop sign.

And horns are for getting wild animals out of the road. It is rude to use the horn to tell a human to get out of your way. Thank you.
Same people behave like animals so they very appropriately get the horn used on them..

Old 04-23-2016, 06:09 PM

455 posts, read 918,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
First of all, I am a transplant. I moved here in 2000 and LOVE living in NC. When I first moved here, having grown up in Florida, I brought my driving habits with me. In Florida, if you turn on your signal people will charge ahead to make sure you don't get in front of them. So you just zip in and out of traffic and drive very aggressively for your own protection.

But once I had been here in NC for a while, I noticed that people were nice on the roads. They let you in, not only if you signaled, but even if they noticed you needing to get by. People wave and smile. North Carolinians are generally very kind and courteous, even on the road when you don't know the person next to you.

My point here is...when in Rome. :-) Please try to adopt the NC culture because that southern hospitality makes everyone's life nicer. I've noticed the roads are much more populated with aggressive drivers. Slow down. Pay attention to the people around you. Treat them like you would want to be treated.

Welcome to North Carolina. :-)
I do NOT miss Florida driving! Last time I went back down there, as soon as I crossed the border into FL, it was like Mad Max. 90 MPH and weaving in and out of traffic (not me, them). I had forgotten what it was like!

Old 04-23-2016, 06:11 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
A stop sign that is not a four way stop means you proceed only when it is your turn after other traffic has cleared. Learn how to get where you are going without going on a road that has a backed-up stop sign.
I'm pretty sure that's the law regardless of location and that person needs to have their head checked. Stop means stop. You don't just "go" when opposing traffic doesn't even have a sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary