Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 08:13 AM

188 posts, read 151,721 times

Advertisements

The dark side of LED lighting.

https://gizmodo.com/the-switch-to-ou...ckf-1820652615
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 02:30 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,482,197 times
Also looks like the fixtures are cheap crap. See so many failing in short order.

Probably cheap Asian trash.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:52 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,598,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Also looks like the fixtures are cheap crap. See so many failing in short order.

Not offensive at all.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:03 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,730,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post

Old 11-24-2017, 10:14 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,773,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
Eh, I have a hard time getting upset. I mean, Installing lights with cutoffs so they don’t shine up is a good thing, but I can’t get behind some crazy idea that we should be dimming cities down somehow. Like, technology is all great when it comes to ceding driving to autonomous cars that can be controlled by some entity other than the owner, but we shouldn’t improve lighting in a city for pedestrians and cyclists that don’t have bright headlights? If you want dark skies, there’s the 90 something percent of the country that isn’t a city that’s still available.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:21 PM

188 posts, read 151,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Eh, I have a hard time getting upset. I mean, Installing lights with cutoffs so they don’t shine up is a good thing, but I can’t get behind some crazy idea that we should be dimming cities down somehow. Like, technology is all great when it comes to ceding driving to autonomous cars that can be controlled by some entity other than the owner, but we shouldn’t improve lighting in a city for pedestrians and cyclists that don’t have bright headlights? If you want dark skies, there’s the 90 something percent of the country that isn’t a city that’s still available.
It's not about wanting dark skies, I saw it as a statement about how technology advancements aren't truly an advancement if they are used by people whose brains haven't advanced as fast as the technology. Technology of the future, in the hands of the stupid of yesterday only propels you backward faster.

Specifically, the fact that "oh these are cheaper so we can afford to run more of them" has resulted in higher electricity usage, not the cost savings that LEDs promised. Do you think that technology advancements that don't fix stupid, but rather that allow stupid to occur more efficiently are a good thing?

It's kind of like investing in lots of chemicals and genetically modified foods in order to get the caloric intake of a donut reduced by 20%, only to find out the donut eaters are using this as an excuse to eat 40% more donuts, adding even more momentum to their crappy eating habits.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:35 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,773,090 times
Well, in the case of this thread, they are replacing existing streetlights with new ones, that do use quite a bit less energy than before, while providing a much better quality light.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:11 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Not offensive at all.
If he said "cheap Chinese trash" would that have been better? People need to grow some skin. If someone said "cheap american trash" I could care less. Why is our society becoming such sensitive easily triggered individuals?

Old 11-25-2017, 03:05 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,598,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
If he said "cheap Chinese trash" would that have been better? People need to grow some skin. If someone said "cheap american trash" I could care less. Why is our society becoming such sensitive easily triggered individuals?
Why not just say "cheap trash"? Why does it need a label as to what type of trash it might be? I am pretty sure most of us do not know where the lights are made.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:24 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Why not just say "cheap trash"? Why does it need a label as to what type of trash it might be? I am pretty sure most of us do not know where the lights are made.
Because Chinese made items are notoriously inferior to American made products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary