Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 01:21 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times

Advertisements

Sounds like he needs to get the job offer in Raleigh before that is really an option.

Note to OP: you say your wife is a "NYC girl"--I hope she realizes Raleigh is NOT another NYC. Houston is a much bigger city for someone who wants "big city" things and especially good public transportation, something that's very bad about the Raleigh area. Just make sure she isn't under any illusions that the "urbanity" of Raleigh is remotely like a big Northeastern city. This area is "suburb central" and people in general move here to get AWAY from the big-city life of NYC. If that's what she wants, she might find Houston the better choice of the two...but if you don't get the Raleigh job and still want to keep looking, go for Charlotte, Atlanta, or DC (you said Fed govt, right? Seems like DC would be the bounty for that) if she is a "city" girl, especially if she is picky about pizza
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 05:12 PM

43 posts, read 55,565 times
To me this is a no brainer! We are currently living in Houston and can't wait to get out! It DOES smell in Houston. The traffic is horrendous everywhere. There are too many people there. The property taxes are higher in Houston than in Raleigh. We are looking to move to Raleigh in the next few months. We lived 8 years in Houston, having moved there from New Jersey and we are ready to get out! The east coast is SO much prettier and much better quality of life in my opinion.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:40 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lallen1 View Post
To me this is a no brainer! We are currently living in Houston and can't wait to get out! It DOES smell in Houston. The traffic is horrendous everywhere. There are too many people there. The property taxes are higher in Houston than in Raleigh. We are looking to move to Raleigh in the next few months. We lived 8 years in Houston, having moved there from New Jersey and we are ready to get out! The east coast is SO much prettier and much better quality of life in my opinion.
I too lived in Houston and concur about the smell. The second you walk of the plane at the airport, it hits you in the face. The rental cars smell like mildew as well. It's just a damp place that's far enough inland from the Gulf Coast that the stagnation amplifies the effects of the dampness.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:09 PM

156 posts, read 182,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Sounds like he needs to get the job offer in Raleigh before that is really an option.

Note to OP: you say your wife is a "NYC girl"--I hope she realizes Raleigh is NOT another NYC. Houston is a much bigger city for someone who wants "big city" things and especially good public transportation, something that's very bad about the Raleigh area. Just make sure she isn't under any illusions that the "urbanity" of Raleigh is remotely like a big Northeastern city. This area is "suburb central" and people in general move here to get AWAY from the big-city life of NYC. If that's what she wants, she might find Houston the better choice of the two...but if you don't get the Raleigh job and still want to keep looking, go for Charlotte, Atlanta, or DC (you said Fed govt, right? Seems like DC would be the bounty for that) if she is a "city" girl, especially if she is picky about pizza
To her, there is only 1 NYC. Other big cities are not the same. So yes, she realizes that Raleigh isn't NYC. She still has fantasies about living in NYC with money (and probably being single). Always felt hard to raise a family there.

Other cities like Charlotte and DC would be great, but hard to make those happen because of lack of opportunity and/or much lower salary with higher costs of living.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:46 PM

183 posts, read 198,114 times
Hopefully you would be working for the Feds in NC because working for the state of NC is likely to drive you mad.

I would suggest Houston without even comparing living situation or anything else but job prospects. Run don't walk away from any state government jobs in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary