Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 11:42 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,944,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
It will hurt on resale. I put a Zuma air tub in my MB and it is fantastic. Rethink the no tub option.
Depends on the buyer. Like others, I prefer no tub, so it is a bonus for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 11:45 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
My dad did the same thing when he got a condo that was still under construction. Had a double-size shower instead of a tub.

Almost every bathroom renovation you see has a large shower and either no tub or a large "garden tub" that could be added later, if the bathroom is large. Doesn't seem like a major deal to me, but you might want to ask on the House forum for more varied opinions. I doubt it's something that is only applicable to this area.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:11 PM

135 posts, read 269,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
This is the issue that builders face...

I agree with Red...over $500K and you should have a tub and a separate shower. NO jetted tub. Very few buyers want them anymore. If you don't use them frequently, dirt accumulates inside the jets and when you turn them on, the dirt filters out. Yuck.

The ISSUE is that some buyers DO want that tub and some do NOT.

I've often heard buyers say..."I won't buy a house without a tub in the master" but I've not had any buyers say..."I won't buy that house because it has a tub in the master".

When we bought here 4.5 years ago, I was one of those buyers! Definitely did not want a master tub, I find them to be wasted space and very difficult to keep clean (i am too short to reach across all the way!). We ended up with a walk in shower. I think there's plenty of choices in the area, buyers will be able to find what they prefer.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:41 PM

14 posts, read 11,552 times
I'd be okay with shower-only in the master bath as long as there is a tub somewhere in the house.

I can't imagine not being able to soak sore muscles, or colloidal oatmeal baths for itchy skin (a weird random thing I get occasionally especially in dry winter, but soaking in Aveeno bath power does the trick).

Old 06-14-2016, 07:58 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Well, if WOULD be pretty weird if the tub was put into the foyer or dining room instead of the master bath.

Yep. Sure 'nuf would....

Old 06-14-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, if WOULD be pretty weird if the tub was put into the foyer or dining room instead of the master bath. Yep. Sure 'nuf would....
In most cultures, I think a secondary bath would be the choice most folks first reach for. But for me, given a choice between not having a tub at all and putting a tub in the foyer, it would be "honey, you might want to postpone the tupperware party because there's gonna be some full monty action near the coat tree in a few minutes".

Old 06-14-2016, 08:24 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmdk2016 View Post
In most cultures, I think a secondary bath would be the choice most folks first reach for. But for me, given a choice between not having a tub at all and putting a tub in the foyer, it would be "honey, you might want to postpone the tupperware party because there's gonna be some full monty action near the coat tree in a few minutes".
LOL!
Well said.

I see you are new here. Making your entrance with a splash, so to speak!

Old 06-14-2016, 10:25 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmdk2016 View Post
I'd be okay with shower-only in the master bath as long as there is a tub somewhere in the house.

I can't imagine not being able to soak sore muscles, or colloidal oatmeal baths for itchy skin (a weird random thing I get occasionally especially in dry winter, but soaking in Aveeno bath power does the trick).
Last time I experienced Aveeno hand cream on dry skin, I had to spend $200 at the doctor's office. I am allergic to Aveeno.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:13 AM

150 posts, read 175,388 times
Well, I'm kind of in the opposite camp due to circumstances. My MIL lives with us as she can't stay by herself. We have a downstairs master with a garden tub. She can't use the shower very well; she is very feeble, has severe osteoporosis, and her skin is very sensitive due to a bad bout of dermatomyositis. She wants to be able to take a bath in the tub, but she can't get in and out of it. Due to the physical arrangement, with the garden tub in a corner (of sorts) between the vanity and the shower, and the way it's constructed, the side lifts and other aids won't fit. Retrofitting to a walk-in tub would be optimum, but would require an expensive remodel. We had no idea when we bought, 15 years ago, that this would ever be an issue. But it is. (Access into the house is a separate issue, and is a problem too.)

I know that people never know how long they are going to stay in a place. But you might think about that. We've looked at lots of houses, quasi-casually to see if we could find something more suitable (that also met OUR other requirements). A very large percentage of homes have a garden tub in an arrangement like ours...and when we see that, we just move right on along. The traditional rectangular tub/shower combo would have been ideal here, as a walk-in fits within that form-factor very well.

Don't get me wrong - my wife LOVES her garden tub. But it is a hindrance in this situation.

While I'm at it...any recommendations for folks who are good at this sort of bathroom remodeling?

Old 06-15-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
LOL!
Well said. I see you are new here. Making your entrance with a splash, so to speak!
Ker-sploosh! Normally I'd say bring the tupperware ladies on in, ignoring the necessities of nature, but I don't like other adults to see me bathing, what with the nose clip and all the floating toys at my age. Not in the day of cell phone cams and viral videos, too much at risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Last time I experienced Aveeno hand cream on dry skin, I had to spend $200 at the doctor's office. I am allergic to Aveeno.
Sorry to hear about your experience, but you're absolutely not allergic to a brand. Aveeno is just a brand name of many different product types and formulations. The Aveeno bath powder I mentioned is really just finely ground up oatmeal, so unless you're allergic to oatmeal you'd be fine. And yes it would surely be a little cheaper to just take regular unflavored oats with a blender if you already have the oats on hand, but if it's something you do once in a while its nice to have the little sealed humidity-resistant packets already made for you. That is, IF you have the mysterious itchy skin (without associated rash) dilemma at all. I've always thought it's interesting how we often have a tendency to associate a brand name with an entire product line. Different subject I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: