Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 12:06 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Yep, I've encountered a lot of that crap. The BS gets old.
It really does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 03:05 PM

150 posts, read 219,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Well, there is a palpable pecking order on City-Data across many forums. It's quite simple.
  1. When comparing cities, nothing south is ever better than anything north of it.
  2. Nothing newer is ever better than anything older
  3. As a continuation of #2 above, new urban development isn't urban.
  4. Walkability only counts if its in old urban cities
  5. Cities are presumed to be reflective of everything bad that is perceived about that state, unless you are Austin.
  6. Actual data here on City-Data is rarely considered important. Feelings and perceptions are more important.

Is it any wonder that Richmond finds itself in a predicament? It's arguably the furthest north of the southern cities.
I always considered D.C. as the northern- most Southern city. Baltimore as the end of the gritty industrial NE. I know many may disagree with me. But Richmond definitely gets "northeast envy". Its a deeply rooted Southern city that wants to compete with things a bit further to the North. It still feels and looks Southern to me, and I don't consider it a Mid Atlantic city like some do. In recent years, many people are lumping NC into the Mid Atlantic region as well. That's really pushing it !

Old 06-22-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
In recent years, many people are lumping NC into the Mid Atlantic region as well. That's really pushing it !

Before I got to the end of your post I was just gonna post that ... and then, "Voila!" ... You beat me to it.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:17 AM

30 posts, read 34,584 times
It's very hard to compare Richmond to other cities simply because Richmond is a kinda unique situation. But I will start here...

First of all, comparing it to Baltimore is actually not that far off... sure Bmore's housing stock may be roughly 80% rowhomes (compared to RVA's roughly 40%) and it's a more populated city, they are certainly not that drastically different. I brought up the rowhomes because a lot of people like to compare Richmond to Charleston and Savannah...aside from some of the housing in Jackson Ward and maybe Church Hill (the oldest part), if one was to simply take a closer look then it wouldn't take long to see that they are NOTHING alike. Richmond's build (except for the south side) is very similar to the cities of either the northeast (the east and west ends of the city) or the Midwest (the north side, especially Highland Park). The city's south side is much less urbanized than the others due to the fact most of it wasn't even part of it until 1970.

Someone brought up walkability, and I think that's important in this conversation. Richmond has numerous diners, corner stores, coffee shops, etc. either on the same block or the next block from one's home, in most sections (again sans south side) of the city.

What Richmond does have in common with the rest of the south is the culture, and to a degree the pace, but I will save that for a different thread...

Old 06-30-2016, 12:23 PM

464 posts, read 522,887 times
Not to put Richmond down, but I find it a bit overrated on this site. Richmond may have a more "urban" feel, but it's not way ahead of Raleigh in that regard. As far as culture, restaurants, amenities, shopping, and QOL are concerned...I prefer Raleigh, but that's highly subjective.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:39 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Not to put Richmond down, but I find it a bit overrated on this site. Richmond may have a more "urban" feel, but it's not way ahead of Raleigh in that regard. As far as culture, restaurants, amenities, shopping, and QOL are concerned...I prefer Raleigh, but that's highly subjective.
No, it really is much more urban than Raleigh. I honestly don't see how anyone could say any differently. Raleigh has a completely different feel.

My friends in Raleigh all want to move to Richmond, for the urban bit.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
No, it really is much more urban than Raleigh. I honestly don't see how anyone could say any differently. Raleigh has a completely different feel.

Can't remember if I said it in here, but I think Richmond is primed for a population boom. In part because it is a southern city with more of an urban feel than its counterparts.

Also seems as if it's the final frontier of moderately sized southern cities that haven't experienced a real boom yet.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:57 AM

464 posts, read 522,887 times
Quote:

What do you mean when you say, Raleigh has a completely different feel?

When I consider size and growth, what exactly does Richmond offer that Raleigh doesn't ? Also, your friends obviously don't represent the majority.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:46 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
Quote:

Richmond definitely has an older urban feel than Raleigh, which makes sense because it's a much more mature city. I wouldn't call it "more" urban, though, let alone "much more" urban.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:58 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,950 times
Building density, population density, infrastructure (highways, sidewalks, bridges, trains), the dress of the residents...Richmond is much more urban than Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary