Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 08:45 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
What does the term "Yank" compare to in US slang when directed at someone ???
Not sure I understand - you mean American to American, or non-American to American?

For the former, depends on who is saying it to whom and with what intent.

For the latter, difficult as there is a a lot of nuance involved; could be a term of near-endearment, or if not, a way of putting up a wall to point out that we are not the same. It could be as marked as the off-color terms for whites, blacks, Jewish, Irish, Italians, Puerto Rican, Mexicans, Asians, etc.

In my experience it either means nothing at all derogatory or it means I'm on borrowed time in the conversation and among people who are being cordial and clear we are not now nor will ever become friends and they are tolerating my/our presence.

Maybe I can't answer your question to your satisfaction, but I can give you this anecdote:

What do Aussies call Americans (often behind our backs)?
"Seppos"
What's a "seppo"?
Comes from "Yank, Yank, septic tank"
What the heck is that?
Oddly enough, Cockney (British) rhyming slang

And my answer:
Know what Americans call Aussies?
What?
Aussies
----------------------------

Says a lot.

Having said that, most people wherever they are from are pretty good humans when sports, religion, politics and the like don't get in the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 09:45 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,950 times
1) there was maybe one photo of the Fan in that collection.
2) we have many, many more tall buildings than Raleigh (though the tallest in Raleigh may be taller than Richmond's tallest).
3) I wrote that it "isn't" like both cities started from scratch 20 years ago. Context. Give it a try!
4) show us a photo of better building /population density in Raleigh (detached homes or highrises).

Old 07-04-2016, 10:07 AM

For a quick comparison...

http://www.skyshots.com/wp-content/u...e-1600x800.jpg

http://images.raleighskyline.com/201...eville_street/

I do really like the building in the bottom right of the Raleigh photo. Fresh and clean!
That site has lots of pretty Raleigh photos.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:31 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Yeah, I like that site. I used to visit it more frequently when I had more time.

Also, full disclosure, I like Richmond a lot, especially downtown. More often than not I make it a point to drive through it to see the skyline when I go between Raleigh and Newport News (where I grew up). MCV's campus has done a lot for those views, especially from 95 coming from the south.

I'll concede this: Richmond is architecturally more urban, whereas Raleigh has an edge in population and (probably subjective) downtown destinations. I can't find any views of Raleigh like you did of Richmond, though not for a lack of subject material but more because, well, no one's taken any photos of Raleigh's denser neighborhoods as far as I can see, whether old or new.

I have a question for you though, since I was curious that you mentioned it. What did you mean when Richmond has a more "urban" style of dress? There are about three way that I could understand that statement.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:19 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Smh..when will people accept that not only is Raleigh bigger than Richmond, but it's not that far behind in density and urban feel. Not to mention it's growing a lot faster as well.
All true, but, despite its huge population advantage, Raleigh is still lacking in density, which is changing.

Quote:

Urban Richmond is more urban than urban Raleigh. That is indisputable. Suburban Raleigh is more urban (bigger) than suburban Richmond though. It certainly feels bigger (because it is) than suburban Richmond. That is also indisputable.

Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Yeah, I like that site. I used to visit it more frequently when I had more time.

Also, full disclosure, I like Richmond a lot, especially downtown. More often than not I make it a point to drive through it to see the skyline when I go between Raleigh and Newport News (where I grew up). MCV's campus has done a lot for those views, especially from 95 coming from the south.

I'll concede this: Richmond is architecturally more urban, whereas Raleigh has an edge in population and (probably subjective) downtown destinations. I can't find any views of Raleigh like you did of Richmond, though not for a lack of subject material but more because, well, no one's taken any photos of Raleigh's denser neighborhoods as far as I can see, whether old or new.

I have a question for you though, since I was curious that you mentioned it. What did you mean when Richmond has a more "urban" style of dress? There are about three way that I could understand that statement.
For Richmond's population, the skyline is full and dense, but has an older, somewhat drab architecture and that might "feel" more urban. But I think Richmond's urban feel is more exemplified in its core's configuration and density moreso than its commercial architectural style.

As someone else noted, I believe Raleigh has the tallest building by far but Richmond's average height of downtown buildings might be greater just because of sheer numbers.

And Spencer selected the least inspiring photo of Raleigh's skyline I've ever seen and it's disingenuous ... it's arguably not even a skyline shot. lol

Another CD post in another thread addressed the skyline issue, and a poster used this photo for Raleigh

and this one for Richmond

... See how that works, Spencer?

...and I'm with you, I believe Raleigh's dt destinations are greater in number and are more varied. And I have no idea what was meant by style of dress... Raleigh has its own denim line, which is nationally renown with national press, and Raleigh has been gaining a reputation — at least regionally — for its fashion sensibilities. FashionSpark has gotten national press and is a crown of a growing scene and fashion shows and fashionistas in the city. Raleigh has been a central location for hipsters, who are at the center of fashion these days.

Richmond and Raleigh aren't peers, but there are a few similarities as others have noted previously. Again, Richmond is up and coming. Give it a little time.

I'd like to know what Richmond's chamber is doing, it's downtown alliance and the rate of new construction there, especially in its core.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:52 PM

Downtown Raleigh is pretty and the photo I selected was a nice one that captured the core pretty much in its entirety (comparable to the Richmond photo in that regard..doesn't show Monroe Ward, Manchester or the Bottom, just the CBD).
It's worth noting that the same buildings in the photo I selected are in the prettier one (no more, no fewer).

http://www.skyshots.com/wp-content/u...noke-large.jpg

But Raliegh isn't even as urban as Roanoke.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:30 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,051 times
Quote:
Ok, NOW you've lost it.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:17 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
such unimaginative trolling.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:20 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Attached Thumbnails
Raleigh vs Richmond...-32c439b77555b0235ec71b582e0fe158-1.jpg  

Old 07-07-2016, 07:26 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
You're pushing it now. I know you love Virginia and all, but come on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary