Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 09:34 PM

332 posts, read 398,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Oy! Poor little kid.

Yeah... I didn't mean to sound like I thought having a drink poolside was a bad idea, but I see that more as a country club thing (we lived at them with my dad when we were kids) than something that I'd really enjoy at the neighborhood pool. All the neighborhoods with pools I've lived in as an adult weren't really ones where much drinking was done except for special occasions that also involved food and so forth.

I mean, people do bring a carefully-disguised beer or two in sometimes, but that's really about it. There's nobody out there running the Margaritaville machine every Saturday.
I understand. I am also not talking about having a big obnoxious party either, just a few drinks and some low key fun outside. I asked about country clubs here last month but I was lead to believe the local pool could be enough of a fun gathering place where we could make friends. I guess I need to get a sense of what each environment is like when I visit.

Is there a certain subdivision that is adjacent to a nice quiet green space or walking trail? This is actually pretty important since we like to do some quick hikes and walks with our dogs almost every day out here and it would be nice to not have to drive very far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
OP, that sounds like the Phoenix/Scottsdale metro area to me, not Cary. Especially since pool season here is roughly 3.2 months long.
Wow, that is a bummer. I was hoping we could go swimming half the year! Where do people swim for the rest of the year, are their indoor community pools? I'm assuming the country clubs have them?

Old 06-21-2016, 09:44 PM

580 posts, read 712,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
Wow, that is a bummer. I was hoping we could go swimming half the year! Where do people swim for the rest of the year, are their indoor community pools? I'm assuming the country clubs have them?
Not Preston. Not sure about other country clubs.
Let's see- UNC Wellness (but to swim, not hang out- I think).
I hear Life Time by Regency has both indoor/outdoor pools that are nice. If you are on that side of town.
For swimming- TAC.
Oh and the Cary Y has a bubble over the pool in cold months.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post
Not Preston. Not sure about other country clubs.
Let's see- UNC Wellness (but to swim, not hang out- I think).
I hear Life Time by Regency has both indoor/outdoor pools that are nice. If you are on that side of town.
For swimming- TAC.
Oh and the Cary Y has a bubble over the pool in cold months.
Thanks again for the responses. So is there a season then for when the outdoor pools are normally open? I thought the weather was already in the 80s by April in Raleigh and just assumed we could swim outdoors into September but I guess not. Oh well.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:42 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
Thanks again for the responses. So is there a season then for when the outdoor pools are normally open? I thought the weather was already in the 80s by April in Raleigh and just assumed we could swim outdoors into September but I guess not. Oh well.
Memorial Day to Labor Day, generally. The pool where I live is open a few weeks before/after (abbreviated hours) and I understand the main issue with keeping it open longer is that lifeguards are in school.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:35 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
OP I love your attitude. But I think you've overestimated the fabulousness of this area. I can't think of any non 55+ community that has an indoor pool. I don't even think any country clubs have them.

Our pool season is mid May to Mid September. Other neighborhoods will differ. While we do get the random heat spell that makes you want to go swimming in April and Ocotober, the fact is there is
No one to lifeguard at that time of year
When kids are in school it's just not really feasible to go to the pool. You'd probably have a handful of parents with small children looking to use the pool on those few days and it's not worth paying to keep the pool open for that.
I hope you still like living here!

Old 06-22-2016, 07:53 AM

6 posts, read 5,365 times
This is the bible belt. If you can find a pool that allows alcohol you will still be scowled at. Consider a different state imo. People keep to themselves and certainly dont want to drink with you at the neighborhood pool. The rent is cheap for a reason.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:02 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
Is there a particular reason you want to stay in Cary? I know there are communities in North Raleigh (Falls River comes to mind) where you can do this. Keep in mind that anywhere that allows drinking generally won't allow glass containers poolside.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:07 AM

26 posts, read 32,818 times
This thread is quite humorous. I don't know the Cary neighborhoods well enough to provide a specific answer, but what you are looking for is out there. You won't be able to swim in April or October, but mid-May through early September you can surely enjoy a few beers or cocktails poolside without being shamed (unless you live in a neighborhood made up of City-Data posters).

Last edited by RedZin; 06-22-2016 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Sorry. No links to broker sites.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:41 AM

425 posts, read 462,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB1274 View Post
This is the bible belt. If you can find a pool that allows alcohol you will still be scowled at. Consider a different state imo. People keep to themselves and certainly dont want to drink with you at the neighborhood pool. The rent is cheap for a reason.
Wow, at least we are not making any wide generalizations, or stereotyping the entire area (or Christians) based upon one person's personal opinion.........

Short of you throwing a kegger or firing up the 5 HP gas powered blender, you are unlikely to have anyone hit you on the head with their Bible for having a glass of wine, or beer at the neighborhood pool. Glass on the other hand is a big no-no for good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary