Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 09:31 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
How high was the list price?

I'm not a Realtor (and our regulars will chime in, I'm sure) but the "red hot" comments are pretty much descriptions of a lower price point. I'd guess that price point is $350K and below. Once the list price goes above that, I sure don't see that our market is "red hot." And once it goes above $500K, there's plenty of inventory and considerable days on market.

Accordingly, in that above $500K range, we have several houses my my neck of the woods that have been on the market for awhile, had several price cuts, and are now also listed for rent. (of course, the original list price was way too high, as is the monthly rent, imho.)
Usually people aren't renting houses that are in the $500K range unless it's in a very good area as it would be way above a renters budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 09:58 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,902,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
How high was the list price?

I'm not a Realtor (and our regulars will chime in, I'm sure) but the "red hot" comments are pretty much descriptions of a lower price point. I'd guess that price point is $350K and below. Once the list price goes above that, I sure don't see that our market is "red hot." And once it goes above $500K, there's plenty of inventory and considerable days on market.

Accordingly, in that above $500K range, we have several houses my my neck of the woods that have been on the market for awhile, had several price cuts, and are now also listed for rent. (of course, the original list price was way too high, as is the monthly rent, imho.)

that seems to be true for the most part, but I didn't know people around here sought out rentals of houses 500K range

Old 07-19-2016, 10:06 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
that seems to be true for the most part, but I didn't know people around here sought out rentals of houses 500K range

They definitely do in my neighborhood in Chapel Hill. We get a lot of visiting professors, high-income workers from Europe, physicians and such. Our neighborhood is quite transient. Some come for a year or two or others come and want to rent before they buy. They are almost always families with 2-4 children who are renting these homes. I see requests for them on a regular basis on my listserv. Rent is in the $2500-$3000 range.

Having said that, I think the housing market really varies where in the Triangle one is looking. I don't think the Chapel Hill market is as hot as the west Cary market seems to be. I haven't heard of many price wars here. I'm sure other parts of the Triangle are not as strong either.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:11 AM

332 posts, read 398,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Where are you seeing all these rentals? All I see here on this forum are complaints that people can't get into house rentals.
I watch rentals come up on Zillow. There is a good supply over $2000 I am happy to see, most go pretty fast but then new ones come up. Less lately I'm assuming due to summer? The rental situation isn't surprising since it's going to be cheaper to have a mortgage and buy a house than rent with rates this low.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:13 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post

The house we live in was rented out briefly while the former owners were going through a divorce and about to put the house on the market. I don't think it was longer than 6 months or so to some people who were building nearby.

One of the houses on the corner the next street over from us has been a rental for some time. All the houses here originally sold in the 500k and up range and the neighborhood is custom. They tend to rent for around 3k a month, give or take.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:39 AM

326 posts, read 385,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
They definitely do in my neighborhood in Chapel Hill. We get a lot of visiting professors, high-income workers from Europe, physicians and such. Our neighborhood is quite transient. Some come for a year or two or others come and want to rent before they buy. They are almost always families with 2-4 children who are renting these homes. I see requests for them on a regular basis on my listserv. Rent is in the $2500-$3000 range.
You're spot on as we did exactly that last year and we meet your criteria (a family with 2-4 children). We needed a rental home for a year or so while we settled in to the area and began looking for a new house. We could have saved money by renting a smaller place and putting some of our stuff in storage, but I wanted the family to feel comfortable and not cramped.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:21 PM

363 posts, read 439,778 times
We are relocating and looking to rent an unfurnished 2 bedroom home or apt. for a minimum of 3 years. With one child still in high school and some credit issues (but excellent references from previous landlords, never late on rent or utilities) not sure how to approach rental companies. I am almost positive Chapel Hill/Carrboro is where we want to live, and we have saved several months rent up so that we can negotiate. My husband is on SSDI and I will be working full-time eventually. Any advice? We want to move asap!

Old 07-30-2016, 03:46 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
We are relocating and looking to rent an unfurnished 2 bedroom home or apt. for a minimum of 3 years. With one child still in high school and some credit issues (but excellent references from previous landlords, never late on rent or utilities) not sure how to approach rental companies. I am almost positive Chapel Hill/Carrboro is where we want to live, and we have saved several months rent up so that we can negotiate. My husband is on SSDI and I will be working full-time eventually. Any advice? We want to move asap!
What does "I will be working full time eventually" mean? Are you moving here without a job?

Old 07-30-2016, 11:43 PM

363 posts, read 439,778 times
It means I am seeking full-time employment & will be relying on my husband's SSDI, and savings, possibly working for a temporary agency until I find f/t employment. Social Security Disability Income is a federal benefit, so you get it no matter where you live once you qualify for it. There is an additional amount, based on an individual's benefit, added for each minor child.
What I meant is that we will have less income, MAYBE, when we initially relocate until I find a f/t job. I am looking for a job from out of state but potentially need to relocate before I have one, yes. Any idea where to look for even a short-term rental then under these circumstances?

Last edited by PrairieGirl; 07-30-2016 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: additional information

Old 07-31-2016, 05:42 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
I am looking for a job from out of state but potentially need to relocate before I have one, yes. Any idea where to look for even a short-term rental then under these circumstances?
I hope you will have a large enough deposit, because I doubt the husband's SSDI payment would be enough to cover the rent in most apartments. You might try private owners who list on Craiglist, but not large apartment complexes which have to go by income criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary