Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 04:43 PM

286 posts, read 750,020 times

Advertisements

I have a Japanese Maple tree that is planted in a planter on my front porch. The tree was there when I purchased the home 14 years ago. All I have ever done to this tree is water it every other month. This Japanese Maple has always looked great with bright red leaves until about 3 months ago. Now all the leaves have fallen off and the bark on the trunk seems to have turned a lighter color. See photo.

I need advice/help from Japanese Maple owners who may have experienced this. My wife wants me to call an arborist, but I wanted to try the free route first.....

I also have a second old Japanese Maple that is doing fine.....leaves are green, but will turn red in the Fall/Winter.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Japanese Maple experts, need advice.-jm1.jpg   Japanese Maple experts, need advice.-jm2good.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 08:05 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
that tree's relatively expensive. If you want to keep it, I'd call in an arborist stat. $100-200 is well worth it to save that tree

Old 07-25-2016, 10:13 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,954,112 times
Sounds like it might have gotten potbound. After that length of time, I can almost guarantee it. There are a couple of things you can do; one is root pruning and repotting into a larger container. The other is planting it out in the landscape, where it will eventually grow to its fully mature size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVe7pJd1vpg

Old 07-26-2016, 08:17 AM

286 posts, read 750,020 times
Thanks!!.... Someone else had suggested it may be root bound. Not sure why anyone would plant a Japanese Maple in a planter to begin with...go figure. I need to dig it out, cut the root ball and plant in my yard. The bad part is this is not the time to be transplanting anything. However, I may not have a choice....

Old 07-26-2016, 06:34 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
It might also be getting too much water. This is absolutely THE WORST TIME to be replanting or repotting anything. Wait till late fall and move it outside. Don't be afraid to root prune to stimulate new growth. Don't fertilize it during this hot spell either.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:44 PM

21 posts, read 55,364 times
I will agree with MarkCanWrite, it is definitely root-bound. That is too small of an enclosure for that old of a tree. Just because it's not very big (tall, wide-spread), if you look at the trunk girth you should have at least 12" on each side for every inch in diameter the trunk is the minimum size for a container plant. I would recommend waiting until the other trees drop their leaves and go dormant. Then try to transplant it to a larger growing space. Just because it lost it's leaves for now doesn't mean it has gone dormant, it is probably just shocked by the sudden and slowly creeping strangulation from it's own roots. Also do some slight root pruning, just the circling ones, when you transplant this late fall.
Good luck, DaveO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary