Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,638 times

Advertisements

I will be graduating from college in 2 years and I am interested in moving to the Raleigh area from Central PA. Both my fiancee and I will be working in a hospital setting (she will be a RN and I will be a nuclear medicine tech). Kids are definitely in the future, so we will need a place that is either expandable or big enough to begin with. I was just wondering what area would be best and in the range from about $150k-200k? Having a sizable yard (at least .5 acre) is a must. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 09:52 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,678,691 times
That's a tall order. Housing in the sub-200k range in the more desirable areas would probably only buy a condo or townhouse (ITB, N. Raleigh, Cary) although you might be able to find more properties like that in the outlying areas of Wake (Wendell, Zebulon, Garner, SE Raleigh).

Old 02-24-2008, 08:57 AM

266 posts, read 1,052,418 times
Default It is good to plan ahead...

but a lot can change in two years. Jinxor is right on the money with what he told you. When you are about six months from graduation, you can start to seriously look at specific areas and homes. There are hospitals all over the place. You can work at one in a smaller community and live near it to get that yard you want. You will not get that size yard in the larger towns now. Maybe even less in two years.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,638 times
I appreciate the info and insight. I know for a first house you can not be all too picky , but I would rather live in a town with the small town feel. From what I have seen, the areas that jinxor listed were all ones I have liked. Even into Johnston county or Franklin county would be alright. Also, like you said, jinxor, things can dramatically change in the next two years. And I am hoping they change for the better!

Old 02-24-2008, 08:26 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,103,510 times
I live in central Cary and there are houses here that fit your description. But they are older houses (generally 70's) and smaller than average (1200-1600 sq ft) for Cary standards (hence the lower price tag). But on the other hand, they almost all have a minimium of .25 acre wooded or landscaped lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary