Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2007, 06:22 PM

15 posts, read 49,394 times

Advertisements

I've enjoyed reading all the posts on this site and I've been excited about the thought of moving to Raleigh, NC since I visited back in 2004.

I currently live in Stamford, CT and I pay $800/month for a tiny roach infested studio. Its impossible for me to go out to eat with anyone without spending at least $80 for sub-standard food. The area is congested and hectic and after coming back down to Stamford from upstate CT...I find the people rude and pretentious.

When I graduated college this was not what I dreamed of. The job market in CT is stagnant and while I have job opportunities...I unfortunately hate it here and I find it hard to commit to long term prospects in an area I can't afford or want to be in.

I know I will love the climate and the cost of living in the Raleigh area. I also enjoy Carolina Barbecue and College Basketball. I'm a Big East fan (Uconn) but I like watching the ACC too!

My question...If anyone would be able to help me is pretty straight-forward:

Could a recent college grad with a business degree from the University of CT and only a year's worth of work experience hope to find work in the Raleigh area?

I know in certain areas they may be biased for home-grown grads or that in fact the area simply caters to the natives or those that have been relocated with a job or who have extensive work experience.

I've got money saved - An expired lease - A degree - And a dream for a better life - Is there opportunity in the area for someone like myself?

My gf and brother are also wondering how the area is for those without college degrees but who have corporate work experience.

How much truth do you think there is to the new report issued by Forbes that lists Raleigh as the #1 place for jobs in the US?

Any response is appreciated and thanks for the time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 08:51 PM
VSB

170 posts, read 798,283 times
Caveat: I don't live in the area, so perhaps someone who lives locally can offer more specific ideas.

I'm also not sure exactly what garnering an undergraduate "business" degree entails and therefore, what that entitles you to in the job market. I am not in "business," but I have several friends who are and in my experience, most of them got started in an "internship" or summer job-type setting that they established through their school's career center.

To that end, I would recommend the following:

1. Talk to your best-liked undergraduate professors and find out if they have any contacts in the area.

2. Peruse the local listings of Duke's, UNC's and NC State's career centers. They're bound to have endless listings of jobs for people just like you. They may have access online, although I doubt they'd make it available (online) to non-students. In person, you may be able to just walk in and browse (locals?).

3. Craigslist is a great general resource. It probably is less "business-rich" but you can look from home and it costs you nothing but minutes: http://raleigh.craigslist.org

Best of luck!

This will only cost you 0.5% of your next signing bonus.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:47 AM

43,272 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Leo,
"""Could a recent college grad with a business degree from the University of CT and only a year's worth of work experience hope to find work in the Raleigh area?"""

There is work here for anyone who wants to work. It might not be the exact career you envision, but there is work.

Seriously, you are in a good position for a move, if you have a few months living expenses set aside. Do it before you are entrenched where you are.

"""My gf and brother are also wondering how the area is for those without college degrees but who have corporate work experience."""

Your GF and brother would do better with degrees. It is a great job market, but it is competitive. But they can definitely find some form of work to get their feet on the ground.
I don't know what to say about Forbes.
They have the advantage of doing research in other areas. I haven't.

And here you might could get that roach-infested castle for $595/month!
maybe 2BR/1.5BA!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:43 PM

Thanks Everyone!
I appreciate the input

When your graduating the sky is the limit - Companies are willing to interview out of state if they know you'll move. If I was specialized into a specific field and had experience in it - It would be easier to find interested parties

I stepped out from those doors (college) and the only offers I receive now are in the NY Metro area - I have sought out positions that are located further south and west - Local talent is preferred

I have a little over a year and half work experience - Various temp assignments - And a years stint as Client Coordinator with a Financial Software company.
Most new business grads will look fairly similar on paper.
I always distinguish myself in interviews...but getting someone from out of my area to look at my resume just isn't gonna happen.

I need to move to find work unless i'm willing (which i'm not) to stay in the NY metro area - The C.O.L is prohibitive and I'm tired of the area

I'm qualified and interview well enough to get offered positions in the NY metro area - But I need a move - Market rate for my 400 sq ft studio is $950 (connections got me a "deal" at 800/month) - I sought to upgrade but when a median level 1 bedroom apartment goes for $1400 and my market rate is 35-40 G/yr...Its just not worth it -
I understand the concept that financially I would be better off earning a higher salary and slumming until I had enough experience to get relocated... rather than earning less in a new area, facing uncertainty and having a higher Quality of Life.

While I am still young - I still beleive that the quality of my life is more important than the quantity in my bank

I used the info from Forbes "Best cities for Jobs" - Raleigh is ranked #1 - My research indicated that this would be a good area - I also like the climate and the area when I visited a few years ago. I'm intelligent enough to know that this may not mean anything for someone in my situation - Interesting enough Charlotte and other parts of NC are ranked fairly low on this list with higher rates of unemployment and less job growth.

Please - I would love to hear more anecdotal stories from the area

Old 03-22-2007, 10:35 PM

-- Bump --

Old 03-23-2007, 07:46 AM

478 posts, read 2,303,389 times
Hi Leo!

Welllllllll ... I think you might want to take a second look at Charlotte. I will tell you why.

You say that you are currently working for a financial software firm; Charlotte is the second largest US banking center (second only to NYC). Your experience would translate a helluva lot better down there for that reason.

Raleigh is nice, but there are several local schools with very good business schools: UNC and Duke are just a couple ... and the people who do the hiring tend to use those two schools as mental references with regards to hiring. Though there are many people here from different parts of the country, the general consensus among a lot of HR reps in NC is that if you don't have to look outside of the local market for talent, then you just don't. And generally, unless you have a wicked cool specialization, then the resume doesn't stick out.

As far as whether Raleigh is #1 for jobs, that's a matter of perspective. NYC pays more for its jobs and generally has a wider variety of jobs, whereas Raleigh is generally seen as a business-interest-friendly state (read: lower wages, lower business taxes, etc.).

I wish you the best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary