Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 01:55 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times

Advertisements

anyone out there have a recommendation? looking for someone who can come to our home . .thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 08:11 AM

746 posts, read 1,243,010 times
It's hard to clean a car without water.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:19 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,150 times
The mobile detailer I use was put out of business with the tighter water restrictions. I'm assuming most, if not all, met the same fate.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:03 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,729 times
I went to the AutoWash on 6 Forks and after spending $165 was only mildly satisfied and wouldn't recommend them for a full detail. The detailer left the windows dirty, and totally missed the dashboard glass and fold-down visor mirrors.

In contrast their $20 wash-n-vac deal was an excellent buy. They dont vac out every nook and cranny but my van had sand from the summer beach trip still and it came out looking excellent. Particularly when compared to the $165 full detail our car got.

I guess for $165 I was expecting perfection. As if I had spent all day doing it my self where I q-tip the vent louvers, etc.

On the flip side I'm a picky SOB and hard to please. But seriously, the windows were dirty and they totally missed some spots.

They're on the city can-stay-open list so in that regard it's a plus.

Last edited by gastric; 02-25-2008 at 01:14 PM..

Old 02-25-2008, 03:35 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times
guess they are still in biz . . I made an appointment to have someone come out to my work place..

Old 02-25-2008, 05:46 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
Just an alternate thought for those DIY'ers.

I would recommend, if you don't mind doing the work, buying top notch products and doing it yourself. Get a Porter-Cable random orbital buffer (model 7424 is awesome and only a little over $100) you cannot hurt your finish with it unless you throw it at the car.
Hit autogeek.net and pick up some "lake country" buffing pads, then click on over to zainostore.com and buy some of the best detailing waxes and polishes in the world. The stuff they sell in auto centers, and used by most detailers, is basically junk. Zaino is optically clear and really does last several months. It also only takes a fraction of the product to wax with. Once applied you just maintain it with a spray (Z6 or Z8). You can apply many many many layers without it gumming up, or putting white residue all over your trim. I had about a dozen layers on my corvette.
The cost of approximately 2 details by someone else gets you everything you need. I definitely understand if you don't care to do it yourself, but it really takes just one saturday every 6 months and 15-20 minutes a week to keep it near perfect.
Another thing to keep in mind...only use microfiber towels as terry cloth with micro-mar your finish. Also, the less you have to touch the car with any towel, the better. I use an electric leaf blower to dry my car. This leaves no water marks and no fine scratches from dirt embedded in a towel.

Trust me, I know a thing or two about detailing after having owning this car for years lol(sold it to buy help buy my new house). I would not take any of my cars to a run of the mill detail shop like auto-spa etc simply because they tend to be young people that don't know a thing about proper detailing.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:13 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,631 times
Jeez, ya shoulda warned us - I didn't have my shades on! Very shiny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary