Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 09:12 PM

22 posts, read 16,460 times

Advertisements

I feel like I am annoying you guys with all these carrboro questions, but honestly y'all are the best resource on the whole web... haha

Just spent the weekend in chapelboro and figured SOME things out... mainly that we want to live IN carrboro in walking distance to all the good stuff... now I just want to know about some of the pockets in carrboro and get a feel for where "our vibe" fits and where is relatively safe from some of the petty crime that I've read on these threads.

Here's where I have looked and favorited on rental sites:
-house of south Merrit mill not far from Carr mill mall
-some yellowish town homes with green window frames off laurel ave
-apartment on corner of fidelity and bim st.
- house on Lindsay st.
-house on Williams st

Anything you guys have to say generally or specifically about these areas is A huge help to us as we are not able to be in the area often...

Thanks

PS
out of curiosity.. what's going on on S greensboro st. There seems to be some cute newer homes but they all share a courtyard? And that new big development coming in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 09:41 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
I think all of those are probably okay. With only knowing the locations and not the other features like yard, new appliances, cruddy wallpaper, old kitchen, fancy hot tub or what have you, I'd probably pick the apartment at Fidelity and Bim (super close in, flat walk to everywhere, Carrboro farmer's market in your backpocket) or the house on Williams St (adjacent to Wilson park and Carolina North Forest, big acreage for hiking and mountain biking, great place to walk a dog).

The other ones are probably okay, too. Lindsay Street is part of Northside (in Chapel Hill, not Carrboro) a historically African American community that is becoming more gentrified with student rentals. The town is making efforts to draw families to this area and preserve it.

I don't know much about the dead end section of Laurel Ave, but I took a google streetview drive down there and saw the townhomes. I think that would probably be fine.

South Merritt Mill is similar to Northside, historically African American neighborhood, gentrified with UNC student rentals. That neighborhood is called Pine Knolls.

At the bottom of the hill on South Greensboro St they're putting in a retail center. It used to be a really cruddy decrepit falling down warehouse, so although it may tangle up traffic it's an improvement IMO. It's called South Green: South Green Carrboro , Retail development coming to South Greensboro Street in Carrboro :: The Daily Tar Heel , | News & Observer .

The newer places are called Park Slope and I don't know that much about them besides what you saw.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:48 PM

Thanks a lot.

Are we talking about different Lindsay st? The one I'm looking at comes off of weaver st just west of Carr mill

Old 10-12-2016, 10:39 PM

Ah, yes. I was looking at the Lindsay that's behind Breadmen's and runs from Church St to Mitchell Lane, but you did say Carrboro, so I shoulda known better. There are several streets that have the same name. There's Oak Avenue (a block from the Lindsay St you're talking about) and Oak St just .5 miles away.

Lindsay St in the mill house neighborhood is very nice and would be a great location, too. I would put it up near the top of my picks.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:53 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Park Slope in Carrboro are new construction single-family homes going for $400k+. The rest of the areas you mentioned are decent options for you. The most walkable would be the apts on the corner of Bim and Fidelity. I actually almost rented a house there a few years ago and think I know the exact apartments you are talking about (white with green trim...sort of "futuristic" looking)

Northside has turned into where the the juniors and seniors who rushed for greek organizations and didn't get in move to so they can still try to live the frat/soririty lifestyle. Though there is also brand new, really nice elementary school there too that has attracted some families.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Park Slope in Carrboro are new construction single-family homes going for $400k+. The rest of the areas you mentioned are decent options for you. The most walkable would be the apts on the corner of Bim and Fidelity. I actually almost rented a house there a few years ago and think I know the exact apartments you are talking about (white with green trim...sort of "futuristic" looking)
Yup, tarheel, those are the ones... when we first drove by we were pretty unsure about it but now looking online they actually look pretty nice. You think they are chock full of students or is that a place that is more likely out of college, grads etc.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:10 AM

I'm actually bumping Lindsay Street or Williams Street above Bim/Fidelity on my list, especially if you get a yard for the dog. Sorry for the confusion on which Lindsay St. I just had a brain fart moment.

I drove down Lindsay in the mill houses today and for some reason there are a lot of houses for sale on the end near Weaver St. I do think that would be a bit noisier/more foot traffic, but that's the same deal you'd have at Bim/Fidelity.

Are you talking about the apartments on Bim directly behind the farmer's market? The town does have quite a few special events on the Town Commons and it's packed every Saturday morning starting at 7am in the summer, 9am in the winter. It's a fantastic farmer's mkt, but I don't know if I would want to live right on top of it, but it could be fun. There's also a Wednesday afternoon market for half the year and once a month the Really Really Free Market (swap meet kind of thing, barter and free give away only). Plus they have concerts and a big 4th of July event on the Town Commons. I think the no yard for the dog would be a drag, though. I'd keep looking for that yard.

I really kind of like the idea of Williams St, too. You would have a fair amount of traffic from people going to Wilson Park and you might hear some park noise, but I kind of like that. It wouldn't be nearly as busy as the Town Commons and you get the bonus of being right near Carolina North Forest which is a fantastic place to take the dog. It's also an easy walk up N Greensboro to Weaver Street and the heart of Carrboro — good bike lanes and sidewalks the whole way.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:14 AM

Poppydog, any specific areas you recommend over any of these that we could keep watch over as the market opens up?

Old 10-13-2016, 05:03 PM

Not really. I imagine you got a pretty good feel for Carrboro driving around. Hit us back up if you get a lead on a specific house.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:15 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewalkSurfer4 View Post
Yup, tarheel, those are the ones... when we first drove by we were pretty unsure about it but now looking online they actually look pretty nice. You think they are chock full of students or is that a place that is more likely out of college, grads etc.
Those are family homes for the most part. Owner-occupied so mostly 30s/40s adults with kids probably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary